- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Smart Materials Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 258638, 7 pages
Magnetostrictive Actuation of a Bone Loading Composite for Accelerated Tissue Formation
Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, The Ohio State University, E307 Scott Laboratory, 201 West 19th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Received 27 May 2011; Revised 28 September 2011; Accepted 2 October 2011
Academic Editor: Osama J. Aldraihem
Copyright © 2012 Stephen Hart et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. G. Robling, A. B. Castillo, and C. H. Turner, “Biomechanical and molecular regulation of bone remodeling,” Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 455–498, 2006.
- P. J. Ehrlich and L. E. Lanyon, “Mechanical strain and bone cell function: a review,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 688–700, 2002.
- E. M. Aarden, E. H. Burger, and P. J. Nijweide, “Function of osteocytes in bone,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 287–299, 1994.
- C. H. Turner, M. R. Forwood, and M. W. Otter, “Mechanotransduction in bone: do bone cells act as sensors of fluid flow?” The FASEB Journal, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 875–878, 1994.
- C. H. Turner and F. M. Pavalko, “Mechanotransduction and functional response of the skeleton to physical stress: the mechanisms and mechanics of bone adaptation,” Journal of Orthopaedic Science, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 346–355, 1998.
- H. M. Frost, “A proposed pathogenically adaptive bone remodeling,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 2, pp. 73–85, 1987.
- K. Khan, H. McKay, P. Kannus, D. Bailey, J. Wark, and K. Bennell, Physical Activity and Bone Health, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2001.
- Y. X. Qin, C. T. Rubin, and K. J. McLeod, “Nonlinear dependence of loading intensity and cycle number in the maintenance of bone mass and morphology,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 482–489, 1998.
- C. H. Turner, M. R. Forwood, J. Y. Rho, and T. Yoshikawa, “Mechanical loading thresholds for lamellar and woven bone formation,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 87–97, 1994.
- J. R. Mosley and L. E. Lanyon, “Strain rate as a controlling influence on adaptive modeling in response to dynamic loading of the ulna in growing male rats,” Bone, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 313–318, 1998.
- C. H. Turner, “Three rules for bone adaptation to mechanical stimuli,” Bone, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 399–407, 1998.
- D. B. Burr, A. G. Robling, and C. H. Turner, “Effects of biomechanical stress on bones in animals,” Bone, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 781–786, 2002.
- Y. F. Hsieh and C. H. Turner, “Effects of loading frequency on mechanically induced bone formation,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 918–924, 2001.
- M. J. Dapino, “On magnetostrictive materials and their use in adaptive structures,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics, vol. 17, no. 3-4, pp. 303–329, 2004.
- N. Nersessian, S. W. Or, and G. P. Carman, “Magneto-thermo-mechanical characterization of 1–3 type polymer-bonded Terfenol-D composites,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 263, no. 1-2, pp. 101–112, 2003.
- T. A. Duenas and G. P. Carman, “Particle distribution study for low-volume fraction magnetostrictive composites,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 2433–2439, 2001.
- K. Choi, L. J. Kuhn, M. J. Ciarelli, and S. A. Goldstein, “The elastic moduli of human subchondral, trabecular, and cortical bone tissue and the size-dependency of cortical bone modulus,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1103–1113, 1990.
- X. Dong, M. Qi, X. Guan, and J. Ou, “Microstructure analysis of magnetostrictive composites,” Polymer Testing, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 369–374, 2010.
- E. F. Morgan, R. E. Gleason, L. N. M. Hayward, P. L. Leong, and K. T. Salisbury Palomares, “Mechanotransduction and fracture repair,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 90, supplement 1, pp. 25–30, 2008.
- J. Charnley, “Anchorage of the femoral head prosthesis to the shaft of the femur,” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 42, pp. 28–30, 1960.
- R. T. Hockenbury, M. Gruttadauria, and I. McKinney, “Use of implantable bone growth stimulation in charcot ankle arthrodesis,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 971–976, 2007.
- A. Saxena, L. A. DiDomenico, A. Widtfeldt, T. Adams, and W. Kim, “Implantable electrical bone stimulation for arthrodeses of the foot and ankle in high-risk patients: a multicenter study,” The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 450–454, 2005.
- P. Sharke, “The machinery of life,” Mechanical Engineering, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 30–34, 2004.