- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Smart Materials Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 621364, 8 pages
Preliminary Study of Optimum Piezoelectric Cross-Ply Composites for Energy Harvesting
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
Received 24 November 2011; Accepted 29 January 2012
Academic Editor: Sontipee Aimmanee
Copyright © 2012 David N. Betts et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Erturk and D. J. Inman, “An experimentally validated bimorph cantilever model for piezoelectric energy harvesting from base excitations,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 1–18, 2009.
- S. C. Stanton, C. C. McGehee, and B. P. Mann, “Reversible hysteresis for broadband magnetopiezoelastic energy harvesting,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 95, no. 17, Article ID 174103, 2009.
- A. F. Arrieta, P. Hagedorn, A. Erturk, and D. J. Inman, “A piezoelectric bistable plate for nonlinear broadband energy harvesting,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 97, no. 10, Article ID 104102, 2010.
- M. W. Hyer, “Calculations of the room-temperature shapes of unsymmetric laminates,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 15, pp. 296–310, 1981.
- M. L. Dano and M. W. Hyer, “Thermally-induced deformation behavior of unsymmetric laminates,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 35, no. 17, pp. 2101–2120, 1998.
- S. A. Tawfik, D. Stefan Dancila, and E. Armanios, “Planform effects upon the bistable response of cross-ply composite shells,” Composites A, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 825–833, 2011.
- M. Gude, W. Hufenbach, and C. Kirvel, “Piezoelectrically driven morphing structures based on bistable unsymmetric laminates,” Composite Structures, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 377–382, 2011.
- D. N. Betts, H. A. Kim, and C. R. Bowen, “Optimization of stiffness characteristics for the design of bistable laminates,” AIAA Journal. In press.
- D. N. Betts, H. A. Kim, and C. R. Bowen, “Modeling and optimization of bistable composite laminates for piezoelectric actuation,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 22, no. 18, pp. 2181–2191, 2011.
- W. J. Jun and C. S. Hong, “Effect of residual shear strain on the cured shape of unsymmetric cross-ply thin laminates,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 55–67, 1990.
- D. N. Betts, A. I. T. Salo, C. R. Bowen, and H. A. Kim, “Characterisation and modelling of the cured shapes of arbitrary layup bistable composite laminates,” Composite Structures, vol. 92, no. 7, pp. 1694–1700, 2010.
- P. F. Giddings, H. A. Kim, A. I. T. Salo, and C. R. Bowen, “Modelling of piezoelectrically actuated bistable composites,” Materials Letters, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 1261–1263, 2011.
- Smart Material Corp, 2011, http://www.smart-material.com/MFC-product-main.html.