- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 369836, 6 pages
Does Stroke Impair Learning in Children?
Department of Neurology, Medical Sciences Faculty, State University of Campinas (Unicamp), 13081-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Received 15 September 2010; Revised 4 April 2011; Accepted 14 April 2011
Academic Editor: Halvor Naess
Copyright © 2011 Sonia das Dores Rodrigues et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. K. Lynch, D. G. Hirtz, G. DeVeber, and K. B. Nelson, “Report of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke workshop on perinatal and childhood stroke,” Pediatrics, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 116–123, 2002.
- B. S. Schoenberg, J. F. Mellinger, and D. G. Schoenberg, “Cerebrovascular disease in infants and children: a study of incidence, clinical features, and survival,” Neurology, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 763–768, 1978.
- M. Giroud, M. Lemesle, J. B. Gouyon, J. L. Nivelon, C. Milan, and R. Dumas, “Cerebrovascular disease in children under 16 years of age in the city of Dijon, France: a study of incidence and clinical features from 1985 to 1993,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 1343–1348, 1995.
- C. J. Earley, S. J. Kittner, B. R. Feeser et al., “Stroke in children and sickle-cell disease,” Neurology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 169–176, 1998.
- G. DeVeber, “The Canadian Pediatric Stroke Study Group. Canadian paedoatric stroke registry: analysis of children with arterial ischemic stroke (abstract),” Annals of Neurology, vol. 48, p. 526, 2000.
- G. DeVeber, M. Andrew, C. Adams et al., “Canadian Pediatric Ischemic Stroke Study Group. Cerebral sinovenous thrombosis in children,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 6, pp. 417–423, 2001.
- H. J. Fullerton, Y. W. Wu, S. Zhao, and S. C. Johnston, “Risk of stroke in children: ethnic and gender disparities,” Neurology, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 189–194, 2003.
- D. B. Zahuranec, D. L. Brown, L. D. Lisabeth, and L. B. Morgenstern, “Is it time for a large, collaborative study of pediatric strokes,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1825–1829, 2005.
- M. Steinlin, K. Roellin, and G. Schroth, “Long-term follow-up after stroke in childhood,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 163, no. 4-5, pp. 245–250, 2004.
- J. H. Baumer, “Childhood arterial stroke,” Archives of Disease in Childhood: Education and Practice Edition, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. ep50–ep53, 2004.
- M. V. de Moura-Ribeiro, S. M. Ciasca, M. Vale-Cavalcanti, E. C. S. C. Etchebehere, and E. E. Camargo, “Cerebrovascular disease in newborn infants. Report of three cases with clinical follow-up and brain SPECT imaging,” Arquivos de Neuro-Psiquiatria, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 1005–1010, 1999.
- S. M. Ciasca, H. L. Alves, I. E. Guimarães et al., “Comparação das avaliações neuropsicológicas em menina com doença cerebrovascular bilateral (moymoya) antes e após a intervenção cirúrgica,” Arquivos de Neuro-Psiquiatria, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 1036–1040, 1999.
- E. L. De Schryver, L. J. Kappelle, A. Jennekens-Schinkel, and A. C. Peters, “Prognosis of ischemic stroke in childhood: a long-term follow-up study,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 313–318, 2000.
- V. Ganesan, A. Hogan, N. Shack, A. Gordon, E. Isaacs, and F. J. Kirkham, “Outcome after ischaemic stroke in childhood,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 455–461, 2000.
- I. E. Guimarães, S. M. Ciasca, and M. V. L. de Moura-Ribeiro, “Neuropsychological evaluation of children after ischemic cerebrovascular disease,” Arquivos de Neuro-Psiquiatria, vol. 60, no. 2-B, pp. 386–389, 2002.
- I. Blom, E. L. L. M. De Schryver, L. J. Kappelle, J. E. Rinkel, A. Jennekens-Schinkel, and A. C. Peters, “Prognosis of haemorrhagic stroke in childhood: a long-term follow-up study,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 233–239, 2003.
- S. D. Rodrigues, S. M. Cíasca, and M. V. L. de Moura-Ribeiro, “Ischemic cerebrovascular disease in childhood: cognitive assessment of 15 patients,” Arquivos de Neuro-Psiquiatria, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 802–807, 2004.
- C. Härtel, S. Schilling, J. Sperner, and U. Thyen, “The clinical outcomes of neonatal and childhood stroke: review of the literature and implications for future research,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 431–438, 2004.
- K. M. I. F. Elias, M. F. C. dos Santos, S. M. Ciasca, and M. V. L. M. de Moura-Ribeiro, “Processamento auditivo em criança com doença cerebrovascular,” Pró-Fono Revista de Atualização Científica, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 393–400, 2007.
- I. E. Guimarães, S. M. Ciasca, and M. V. L. de Moura-Ribeiro, “Cerebrovascular disease in childhood: neuropsychological investigation of 14 cases,” Arquivos de Neuro-Psiquiatria, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 41–47, 2007.
- E. Hurvitz, S. Warschausky, M. Berg, and S. Tsai, “Long-term functional of outcome of pediatric stroke survivors,” Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 51–59, 2004.
- M. Steinlin, I. Pfister, J. Pavlovic et al., “The first three years of the Swiss Neuropaediatric Stroke Registry (SNPSR): a population-based study of incidence, symptoms and risk factors,” Neuropediatrics, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 90–97, 2005.
- J. Pavlovic, F. Kaufmann, E. Boltshauser et al., “Neuropsychological problems after paediatric stroke: two year follow-up of Swiss children,” Neuropediatrics, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 2006.
- L. C. Jordan and A. E. Hillis, “Hemorrhagic stroke in children,” Pediatric Neurology, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 73–80, 2007.
- J. Piaget, Seis Estudos de Psicologia, Forense Universitária, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 23rd edition, 1998.
- L. M. Stein, TDE—Teste de Desempenho Escolar: Manual Para Aplicação e Interpretação, Casa do Psicólogo, São Paulo, Brazil, 2003.
- R. Westmacott, R. Askalan, D. Macgregor, P. Anderson, and G. Deveber, “Cognitive outcome following unilateral arterial ischaemic stroke in childhood: effects of age at stroke and lesion location,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 386–393, 2010.
- S. Hernandez Muela, F. Mulas, and L. Mattos, “Plasticidad neuronal funcional,” Revista de Neurologia, vol. 38, supplement 1, pp. S58–S68, 2004.
- A. R. Luria, Fundamentos de Neuropsicologia, Edusp, São Paulo, Brazil, 1983.
- B. P. Damasceno, “Desenvolvimento das funções corticais superiores,” in Neurologia do Desenvolvimento da Criança, M. V. L. de Moura-Ribeiro and V. M. G. Gonçalves, Eds., pp. 345–362, Revinter, São Paulo, Brazil, 2006.