- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 534362, 9 pages
Treatment Challenges in Pediatric Stroke Patients
1Department of Pediatric Neurology, School of Medicine, Ankara University, Turkey
2Department of Pediatric Neurology, Dışkapı Hematology-Oncology Hospital, Turkey
3Department of Pediatric Molecular Genetics, School of Medicine, Ankara University, Turkey
4Department of Pediatric Hematology, School of Medicine, Ankara University, Turkey
Received 15 September 2010; Accepted 18 November 2010
Academic Editor: Turgut Tatlisumak
Copyright © 2011 A. Yılmaz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. K. Lynch, D. G. Hirtz, G. DeVeber, and K. B. Nelson, “Report of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and stroke workshop on perinatal and childhood stroke,” Pediatrics, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 116–123, 2002.
- W. S. Ball Jr., “Cerebrovascular occlusive disease in childhood,” Neuroimaging Clinics of North America, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 393–421, 1994.
- W. Koelfen, M. Freund, S. Konig, V. Varnholt, H. Rohr, and C. Schultze, “Results of parenchymal and angiographic magnetic resonance imaging and neuropsychological testing of children after stroke as neonates,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 152, no. 12, pp. 1030–1035, 1993.
- E. S. Roach, M. R. Golomb, R. Adams et al., “Management of stroke in infants and children: a scientific statement from a special writing group of the american heart association stroke council and the council on cardiovascular disease in the young,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 2644–2691, 2008.
- S. Chabrier, B. Husson, P. Lasjaunias, P. Landrieu, and M. Tardieu, “Stroke in childhood: outcome and recurrence risk by mechanism in 59 patients,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 290–294, 2000.
- E. L. L. M. De Schryver, L. J. Kappelle, A. Jennekens-Schinkel, and A. C. B. Peters, “Prognosis of ischemic stroke in childhood: a long-term follow-up study,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 313–318, 2000.
- G. A. DeVeber, D. MacGregor, R. Curtis, and S. Mayank, “Neurologic outcome in survivors of childhood arterial ischemic stroke and sinovenous thrombosis,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 316–324, 2000.
- V. Ganesan, A. Hogan, N. Shack, A. Gordon, E. Isaacs, and F. J. Kirkham, “Outcome after ischaemic stroke in childhood,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 455–461, 2000.
- V. Ganesan, M. Prengler, M. A. McShane, A. M. Wade, and F. J. Kirkham, “Investigation of risk factors in children with arterial ischemic stroke,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 167–173, 2003.
- A. L. Gordon, V. Ganesan, A. Towell, and F. J. Kirkham, “Functional outcome following stroke in children,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 429–434, 2002.
- J. J. Higgins, L. A. Kammerman, and CH. R. Fitz, “Predictors of survival and characteristics of childhood stroke,” Neuropediatrics, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 190–193, 1991.
- F. J. Kirkham, “Stroke in childhood,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 85–89, 1999.
- M. J. Lanska, D. J. Lanska, S. J. Horwitz, and D. M. Aram, “Presentation, clinical course, and outcome of childhood stroke,” Pediatric Neurology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 333–341, 1991.
- G. De Veber and The Canadian Pediatric Ischemic Stroke Study Group, “Canadian paediatric ischemic stroke registry: analysis of children with arterial ischemic stroke,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 48, p. 526, 2000.
- J. Estan and P. Hope, “Unilateral neonatal cerebral infarction in full term infants,” Archives of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. F88–F93, 1997.
- S. R. Levy, I. F. Abroms, P. C. Marshall, and E. E. Rosquete, “Seizures and cerebral infarction in the full-term newborn,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 366–370, 1985.
- L. V. Gabis, R. Yangala, and N. J. Lenn, “Time lag to diagnosis of stroke in children,” Pediatrics, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 924–928, 2002.
- M. R. Golomb, D. L. MacGregor, T. Domi et al., “Presumed pre- or perinatal arterial ischemic stroke: risk factors and outcomes,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 163–168, 2001.
- H. Bouza, M. Rutherford, D. Acolet, J. M. Pennock, and L. M. S. Dubowitz, “Evolution of early hemiplegic signs in full-term infants with unilateral brain lesions in the neonatal period: a prospective study,” Neuropediatrics, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 201–207, 1994.
- W. H. Trescher, “Ischemic stroke syndromes in childhood,” Pediatric Annals, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 374–383, 1992.
- G. DeVeber, “Arterial ischemic strokes in infants and children: an overview of current approaches,” Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 567–573, 2003.
- H. J. Fullerton, J. S. Elkins, and S. C. Johnston, “Pediatric stroke belt: geographic variation in stroke mortality in US children,” Stroke, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1570–1573, 2004.
- F. J. Kirkham, “Is there a genetic basis for pediatric stroke?” Current Opinion in Pediatrics, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 547–558, 2003.
- J. S. Hutchison, R. Ichord, A. M. Guerguerian, and G. DeVeber, “Cerebrovascular disorders,” Seminars in Pediatric Neurology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 139–146, 2004.
- U. Nowak-Göttl, R. Sträter, A. Heinecke et al., “Lipoprotein (a) and genetic polymorphisms of clotting factor V, prothrombin, and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase are risk factors of spontaneous ischemic stroke in childhood,” Blood, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 3678–3682, 1999.
- G. Kenet, S. Sadetzki, H. Murad et al., “Factor V Leiden and antiphospholipid antibodies are significant risk factors for ischemic stroke in children,” Stroke, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1283–1288, 2000.
- E. Nestoridi, F. S. Buonanno, R. M. Jones et al., “Arterial ischemic stroke in childhood: the role of plasma-phase risk factors,” Current Opinion in Neurology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 139–144, 2002.
- H. J. Fullerton, Y. W. Wu, S. Sidney, and S. C. Johnston, “Risk of recurrent childhood arterial ischemic stroke in a population-based cohort: the importance of cerebrovascular imaging,” Pediatrics, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 495–501, 2007.
- B. Husson, G. Rodesch, P. Lasjaunias, M. Tardieu, and G. Sébire, “Magnetic resonance angiography in childhood arterial brain infarcts: a comparative study with contrast angiography,” Stroke, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1280–1285, 2002.
- A. Venkataraman, P. B. Kingsley, P. Kalina et al., “Newborn brain infarction: clinical aspects and magnetic resonance imaging,” CNS Spectrums, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 436–444, 2004.
- R. I. Lindley, J. M. Wardlaw, P. A. G. Sandercock et al., “Frequency and risk factors for spontaneous hemorrhagic transformation of cerebral infarction,” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 235–246, 2004.
- A. Gruber, C. Nasel, W. Lang, E. Kitzmüller, G. Bavinzski, and T. Czech, “Intra-arterial thrombolysis for the treatment of perioperative childhood cardioembolic stroke,” Neurology, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 1684–1686, 2000.
- A. Kirton, J. H. Wong, J. Mah et al., “Successful endovascular therapy for acute basilar thrombosis in an adolescent,” Pediatrics, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 248–251, 2003.
- H. J. Fullerton, D. M. Chetkovich, Y. W. Wu, W. S. Smith, and S. C. Johnston, “Deaths from stroke in US children, 1979 to 1998,” Neurology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 34–39, 2002.
- S. Lanthier, L. Carmant, M. David, A. Larbrisseau, and G. De Veber, “Stroke in children: the coexistence of multiple risk factors predicts poor outcome,” Neurology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 371–378, 2000.
- T. Soman, M. F. Rafay, S. Hune, A. Allen, D. MacGregor, and G. DeVeber, “The risks and safety of clopidogrel in pediatric arterial ischemic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 1120–1122, 2006.
- R. A. Shellhaas, S. E. Smith, E. O'Tool, D. J. Licht, and R. N. Ichord, “Mimics of childhood stroke: characteristics of a prospective cohort,” Pediatrics, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 704–709, 2006.
- S. Tank, K. Bhagwat, S. Malik, P. Jawale, and S. Joshi, “Familial type IV hypertriglyceridemia presenting as hemiparesis with cerebellar signs,” Indian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 349–350, 2004.
- N. Akar, “Site specific mutagenesis: usage for the mutation detection in thrombosis,” Turkish Journal of Haematology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 123–124, 1998.
- D. B. Zahuranec, D. L. Brown, L. D. Lisabeth, and L. B. Morgenstern, “Is it time for a large, collaborative study of pediatric stroke?” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1825–1829, 2005.
- M. R. Golomb, B. P. Garg, C. Saha, and L. S. Williams, “Accuracy and yield of ICD-9 codes for identifying children with ischemic stroke,” Neurology, vol. 67, no. 11, pp. 2053–2055, 2006.
- G. DeVeber and F. Kirkham, “Guidelines for the treatment and prevention of stroke in children,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 983–985, 2008.
- J. K. Lynch, “Cerebrovascular disorders in children,” Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 129–138, 2004.