- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 535672, 5 pages
Incidence of Stroke in Young Adults: A Review
1Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Sanità Pubblica, Università degli Studi L'Aquila Coppito, 67010 L'Aquila, Italy
2Casa di Cura San Raffaele, 67039 Sulmona, Italy
Received 15 September 2010; Accepted 18 November 2010
Academic Editor: Turgut Tatlisumak
Copyright © 2011 Carmine Marini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Nencini, D. Inzitari, M. C. Baruffi et al., “Incidence of stroke in young adults in Florence, Italy,” Stroke, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 977–981, 1988.
- K. Radhakrishnan, P. P. Ashok, R. Sridharan, and M. E. Mousa, “Stroke in the young: incidence and pattern in Benghazi, Libya,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 434–438, 1986.
- S. J. Kittner, R. J. McCarter, R. W. Sherwin et al., “Black-white differences in stroke risk among young adults,” Stroke, vol. 24, supplement 1, pp. I13–I15, 1993.
- H. Ellekjær, J. Holmen, B. Indredavik, and A. Terent, “Epidemiology of stroke in Innherred, Norway, 1994 to 1996: incidence and 30-day case-fatality rate,” Stroke, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 2180–2184, 1997.
- D. Guidetti, M. Baratti, R. Zucco et al., “Incidence of stroke in young adults in the Reggio Emilia area, Northern Italy,” Neuroepidemiology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 82–87, 1993.
- J. Bamford, P. Sandercock, M. Dennis, J. Burn, and C. Warlow, “A prospective study of acute cerebrovascular disease in the community: the Oxfordshire Community Stroke Project—1981–86. 2. Incidence, case fatality rates and overall outcome at one year of cerebral infarction, primary intracerebral and subarachnoid haemorrhage,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 16–22, 1990.
- P. Jerntorp and G. Berglund, “Stroke registry in Malmö, Sweden,” Stroke, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 357–361, 1992.
- C. S. Anderson, K. D. Jamrozik, P. W. Burvill, T. M. H. Chakera, G. A. Johnson, and E. G. Stewart-Wynne, “Ascertaining the true incidence of stroke: experience from the Perth Community Stroke Study, 1989-1990,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 158, no. 2, pp. 80–84, 1993.
- A. Czlonkowska, D. Ryglewicz, T. Weissbein, M. Baranska-Gieruszczak, and D. B. Hier, “A prospective community-based study of stroke in Warsaw, Poland,” Stroke, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 547–551, 1994.
- G. Lauria, M. Gentile, G. Fassetta et al., “Incidence and prognosis of stroke in the Belluno Province, Italy: first- year results of a community-based study,” Stroke, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1787–1793, 1995.
- B. S. Jacobs, B. Boden-Albala, I. F. Lin, and R. L. Sacco, “Stroke in the young in the Northern Manhattan stroke study,” Stroke, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2789–2793, 2002.
- K. L. Mettinger, C. E. Soderstrom, and E. Allander, “Epidemiology of acute cerebrovascular disease before the age of 55 in the Stockholm County 1973–77: I. Incidence and mortality rates,” Stroke, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 795–800, 1984.
- P. M. Rothwell, A. J. Coull, M. F. Giles et al., “Change in stroke incidence, mortality, case-fatality, severity, and risk factors in Oxfordshire, UK from 1981 to 2004 (Oxford Vascular Study),” Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9425, pp. 1925–1933, 2004.
- L. Epstein, S. Rishpon, E. Bental et al., “Incidence, mortality, and case-fatality rate of stroke in northern Israel,” Stroke, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 725–729, 1989.
- O. Lidegaard, M. Soe, and M. V. N. Andersen, “Cerebral thromboembolism among young women and men in Denmark 1977-1982,” Stroke, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 670–675, 1986.
- N. L. Cabral, A. R. R. Gonçalves, A. L. Longo et al., “Trends in stroke incidence, mortality and case fatality rates in Joinville, Brazil: 1995–2006,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 80, no. 7, pp. 749–754, 2009.
- P. Harmsen, L. Wilhelmsen, and A. Jacobsson, “Stroke incidence and mortality rates 1987 to 2006 related to secular trends of cardiovascular risk factors in Gothenburg, Sweden,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 2691–2697, 2009.
- J. A. Stewart, R. Dundas, R. S. Howard, A. G. Rudd, and C. D. A. Wolfe, “Ethnic differences in incidence of stroke: prospective study with stroke register,” British Medical Journal, vol. 318, no. 7189, pp. 967–971, 1999.
- B. Norrving and P. Lowenhielm, “Epidemiology of stroke in Lund-Orup, Sweden, 1983–85. Incidence of first stroke and age-related changes in subtypes,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 408–413, 1988.
- G. D'Alessandro, M. Di Giovanni, L. Roveyaz et al., “Incidence and prognosis of stroke in the Valle d'Aosta, Italy: first-year results of a community-based study,” Stroke, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1712–1715, 1992.
- R. D. Brown, J. P. Whisnant, J. D. Sicks, W. M. O'Fallon, and D. O. Wiebers, “Stroke incidence, prevalence, and survival: secular trends in Rochester, Minnesota, through 1989,” Stroke, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 373–380, 1996.
- G. D'Alessandro, E. Bottacchi, M. Di Giovanni et al., “Temporal trends of stroke in Valle d'Aosta, Italy. Incidence and 30-day fatality rates,” Neurological Sciences, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 2000.
- P. L. Kolominsky-Rabas, C. Sarti, P. U. Heuschmann et al., “A prospective community-based study of stroke in Germany—the Erlangen Stroke Project (ESPro): incidence and case fatality at 1, 3, and 12 months,” Stroke, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 2501–2506, 1998.
- D. Christie, “Stroke in Melbourne, Australia: an epidemiological study,” Stroke, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 467–469, 1981.
- V. L. Feigin, D. O. Wiebers, Y. P. Nikitin, W. M. O'Fallon, and J. P. Whisnant, “Stroke epidemiology in Novosibirsk, Russia: a population-based study,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 70, no. 9, pp. 847–852, 1995.
- C. Marini, R. Totaro, F. De Santis, I. Ciancarelli, M. Baldassarre, and A. Carolei, “Stroke in young adults in the community-based L'Aquila registry: incidence and prognosis,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 52–56, 2001.
- A. Carolei, C. Marini, M. Di Napoli et al., “High stroke incidence in the prospective community-based L'Aquila registry (1994–1998): first year's results,” Stroke, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 2500–2506, 1997.
- N. Rozenthul-Sorokin, R. Ronen, A. Tamir, H. Geva, and R. Eldar, “Stroke in the young in Israel: incidence and outcomes,” Stroke, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 838–841, 1996.
- M. Giroud, P. Beuriat, P. Vion, P. H. D'Athis, L. Duserre, and R. Dumas, “Stroke in a French prospective population study,” Neuroepidemiology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 97–104, 1989.
- R. Bonita, J. B. Broad, and R. Beaglehole, “Changes in stroke incidence and case-fatality in Auckland, New Zealand, 1981–91,” Lancet, vol. 342, no. 8885, pp. 1470–1473, 1993.
- C. Marini, R. Totaro, and A. Carolei, “Long-term prognosis of cerebral ischemia in young adults,” Stroke, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 2320–2325, 1999.
- H. Naess and U. Waje-Andreassen, “Review of long-term mortality and vascular morbidity amongst young adults with cerebral infarction,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2010.