- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 936298, 7 pages
Sleep-Wake Patterns during the Acute Phase after First-Ever Stroke
1Department of Health Sciences, Buskerud University College, P.O. Box 7053, 3007 Drammen, Norway
2Department of Behavioral Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, 0316 Oslo, Norway
3Department of Family Health Care Nursing, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143-0606, USA
4Centre for Clinical Nursing Research, Lovisenberg Deaconal University College, 0456 Oslo, Norway
5Research Centre and Division of Medicine, Department of Gastroenterology, Oslo University Hospital, 0424 Oslo, Norway
Received 29 September 2010; Revised 21 February 2011; Accepted 13 April 2011
Academic Editor: Alison Baird
Copyright © 2011 Linda N. Bakken et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Terzoudi, T. Vorvolakos, I. Heliopoulos, M. Livaditis, K. Vadikolias, and H. Piperidou, “Sleep architecture in stroke and relation to outcome,” European Neurology, vol. 61, pp. 16–22, 2009.
- C. L. Bassetti and M. S. Aldrich, “Sleep electroencephalogram changes in acute hemispheric stroke,” Sleep Medicine, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 185–194, 2001.
- C. Müller, P. Achermann, M. Bischof, A. C. Nirkko, C. Roth, and C. L. Bassetti, “Visual and spectral analysis of sleep EEG in acute hemispheric stroke,” European Neurology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 164–171, 2002.
- J. Vock, P. Achermann, M. Bischof et al., “Evolution of sleep and sleep EEG after hemispheric stroke,” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 331–338, 2002.
- D. M. Hermann, M. Siccoli, P. Brugger et al., “Evolution of neurological, neuropsychological and sleep-wake disturbances after paramedian thalamic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 62–68, 2008.
- M. M. Siccoli, N. Rölli-Baumeler, P. Achermann, and C. L. Bassetti, “Correlation between sleep and cognitive functions after hemispheric ischaemic stroke,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 565–572, 2008.
- M. M. Ohayon, “Prevalence and correlates of nonrestorative sleep complaints,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 2005.
- D. Foley, S. Ancoli-Israel, P. Britz, and J. Walsh, “Sleep disturbances and chronic disease in older adults: results of the 2003 National Sleep Foundation Sleep in America Survey,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 497–502, 2004.
- K. A. Lee, C. Landis, E. R. Chasens et al., “Sleep and chronobiology: recommendations for nursing education,” Nursing Outlook, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 126–133, 2004.
- World Health Organisation, The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders: Clinical Descriptions and Diagnostic Guidelines, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1992.
- J. Ware, K. K. Snow, M. Kosinski, and B. Gandek, SF-36 Health Survey: Manual & Interpretation Guide, The Health Institute, New England Medical Center, Boston, Mass, USA, 1997.
- D. J. Buysse, C. F. Reynolds III, T. H. Monk, S. R. Berman, and D. J. Kupfer, “The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 193–213, 1989.
- S. L. Beck, A. L. Schwartz, G. Towsley, W. Dudley, and A. Barsevick, “Psychometric evaluation of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index in cancer patients,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 140–148, 2004.
- S. Pallesen, I. H. Nordhus, S. Omvik, B. Sivertsen, and B. Bjorvatn, “Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index,” Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening, pp. 714–717, 2005.
- S. Ancoli-Israel, R. Cole, C. Alessi, M. Chambers, W. Moorcroft, and C. P. Pollak, “The role of actigraphy in the study of sleep and circadian rhythms,” Sleep, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 342–392, 2003.
- J. Cohen, “A power primer,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 155–159, 1992.
- A. M. Berger, K. P. Parker, S. Young-McCaughan et al., “Sleep wake disturbances in people with cancer and their caregivers: state of the science,” Oncology Nursing Forum, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. E98–E126, 2005.
- J. M. Gottselig, C. L. Bassetti, and P. Achermann, “Power and coherence of sleep spindle frequency activity following hemispheric stroke,” Brain, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 373–383, 2002.
- F. P. Cappuccio, L. D'Elia, P. Strazzullo, and M. A. Miller, “Sleep duration and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies,” Sleep, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 585–592, 2010.
- L. de Souza, A. A. Benedito-Silva, M. L. Pires, D. Poyares, S. Tufik, and H. M. Calil, “Further validation of actigraphy for sleep studies,” Sleep, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 81–85, 2003.
- C. Acebo and M. K. LeBourgeois, “Actigraphy,” Respiratory Care Clinics of North America, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2006.
- C. A. Alessi, J. L. Martin, A. P. Webber et al., “More daytime sleeping predicts less functional recovery among older people undergoing inpatient post-acute rehabilitation,” Sleep, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 1291–1300, 2008.
- D. L. Bliwise, “Normal aging,” in Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, M. H. Kryger, T. Roth, and W. C. Dement, Eds., pp. 24–38, Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 4th edition, 2005.
- C. M. Morin, “Psychological and behavioral treatments for primary insomnia,” in Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, pp. 726–731, 4th edition, 2005.
- A. M. Berger, K. K. Wielgus, S. Young-McCaughan, P. Fischer, L. Farr, and K. A. Lee, “Methodological challenges when using actigraphy in research,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 191–199, 2008.