- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 298375, 6 pages
The Influence of Resistance Exercise Training on the Levels of Anxiety in Ischemic Stroke
1Department of Sports, Science, Exercise, and Health, University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, 5000-911 Vila Real, Portugal
25th Battalion of the Military Fire Brigade, Fire Brigade of the State of Minas Gerais, New Horizons Program, 38.406-090 Uberlandia, MG, Brazil
3Department of Physical Education, University of Brasília, 70910-900 Brasília, DF, Brazil
4Departments of Kinesiology, and Physiology, Center for Health Disparities Research, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858-4353, USA
Received 5 May 2012; Revised 24 July 2012; Accepted 17 October 2012
Academic Editor: Disa Sommerfeld
Copyright © 2012 Felipe José Aidar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y.-S. Moon, S.-J. Kim, H.-C. Kim, M.-H. Won, and D.-H. Kim, “Correlates of quality of life after stroke,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 224, no. 1-2, pp. 37–41, 2004.
- M. Kimura, R. G. Robinson, and J. T. Kosier, “Treatment of cognitive impairment after poststroke depression: a double- blind treatment trial,” Stroke, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1482–1486, 2000.
- D. F. Rabelo and A. L. Néri, “Subjective well being and perceived psychological adjustment among old people affected by stroke: a review,” Estudos de Psicologia, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 169–177, 2006.
- G. R. Devereux, J. D. Wiles, and I. L. Swaine, “Reductions in resting blood pressure after 4 weeks of isometric exercise training,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 601–606, 2010.
- C. J. Murrell, J. D Cotter, K. George, et al., “Cardiorespiratory and cerebrovascular responses to head-up tilt II: influence of age, training status and acute exercise,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 241, no. 1, pp. 143–151, 2010.
- L. Y. Joo, T. S. Yin, D. Xu et al., “A feasibility study using interactive commercial off-the-shelf computer gaming in upper limb rehabilitation in patients after stroke,” Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 437–441, 2010.
- D. I. Lovell, R. Cuneo, and G. C. Gass, “Strength training improves submaximum cardiovascular performance in older men,” Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 117–124, 2009.
- M. M. Ouellette, N. K. LeBrasseur, J. F. Bean et al., “High-intensity resistance training improves muscle strength, self-reported function, and disability in long-term stroke survivors,” Stroke, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 1404–1409, 2004.
- A. Weiss, T. Suzuki, J. Bean, and R. A. Fielding, “High intensity strength training improves strength and functional performance after stroke,” American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 369–376, 2000.
- J. D. Moreland, C. H. Goldsmith, M. P. Huijbregts et al., “Progressive resistance strengthening exercises after stroke: a single-blind randomized controlled trial,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 84, no. 10, pp. 1433–1440, 2003.
- S. Studenski, P. W. Duncan, S. Perera, D. Reker, S. M. Lai, and L. Richards, “Daily functioning and quality of life in a randomized controlled trial of therapeutic exercise for subacute stroke survivors,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 1764–1770, 2005.
- R. F. Beer, J. P. A. Dewald, and W. Z. Rymer, “Deficits in the coordination of multijoint arm movements in patients with hemiparesis: evidence for disturbed control of limb dynamics,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 305–319, 2000.
- P. W. Duncan, “Synthesis of intervention trials to improve motor recovery following stroke,” Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 1–20, 1997.
- R. De Haan, M. Limburg, P. Bossuyt, J. Van der Meulen, and N. Aaronson, “The clinical meaning of Rankin “handicap” grades after stroke,” Stroke, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 2027–2030, 1995.
- C. D Spielberger, Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI: Form Y), Consulting Psychologists, Palo Alto, Calif, USA, 1983.
- A. M. Biaggio and L. Natalicio, Manual of the Trait Anxiety Inventory-State (STAI), Applied Psychology Centre EAPC, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1979.
- K. M. Lagally and R. J. Robertson, “Construct validity of the OMNI resistance exercise scale,” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 252–256, 2006.
- T. R. Baechle and B. R. Groves, Weight Training: Steps to Success, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1998.
- American College of Sports Medicine, ACM’S Guidelines for Exercises Testing and Prescription, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, Md, USA, 5th edition, 1995.
- T. R. Baechle and R. W. Earle, Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2000.
- S. J. Fleck and W. J. Kraemer, Designing Resistance Training Programs, Human Kinectics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2004.
- F. J. Aidar, A. J. Silva, and V. M. Reis, “Estudio de la calidad de vida en el accidente vascular isquémico y su relación con la actividad física,” Revista de Neurología, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 518–522, 2007.
- Y. Ding, J. Li, Q. Lai et al., “Motor balance and coordination training enhances functional outcome in rat with transient middle cerebral artery occlusion,” Neuroscience, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 667–674, 2004.
- F. J. Carod-Artal, “Post-stroke depression (I, II): its differential diagnosis, complications and treatment,” Revista de Neurologia, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 169–175, 2006.
- F. J. Carod-Artal, L. Ferreira Coral, D. S. Trizotto, and C. Menezes Moreira, “Poststroke depression: prevalence and determinants in Brazilian stroke patients,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 157–165, 2009.
- U. Sagen, T. G. Vik, T. Moum, T. Mørland, A. Finset, and T. Dammen, “Screening for anxiety and depression after stroke: comparison of the hospital anxiety and depression scale and the Montgomery and Asberg depression rating scale,” Journal of Psychosomatic Research, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 325–332, 2009.
- T. B. Cumming, J. Collier, A. G. Thrift, and J. Bernhardt, “The effect of very early mobilization after stroke on psychological well-being,” Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 609–614, 2008.
- B. Fure, “Depression, anxiety and other emotional symptoms after cerebral stroke,” Tidsskrift for den Norske Laegeforening, vol. 127, no. 10, pp. 1387–1389, 2007.
- V. S. Conn, “Anxiety outcomes after physical activity interventions: meta-analysis findings,” Nursing Research, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 224–231, 2010.
- S. Pak and C. Patten, “Strengthening to promote functional recovery poststroke: an evidence-based review,” Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 177–199, 2008.