- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 673187, 6 pages
Diabetes and Stroke Prevention: A Review
1Geriatric Medicine, University of Cardiff,
Cardiff CF14 4XY, UK
2Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital de la Merced, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
3Department of Neurology, Hospital de Valme, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
4Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Received 21 May 2012; Revised 19 September 2012; Accepted 25 October 2012
Academic Editor: Graham S. Venables
Copyright © 2012 Jonathan Hewitt et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Wild, G. Roglic, A. Green, R. Sicree, and H. King, “Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1047–1053, 2004.
- K. M. V. Narayan, J. P. Boyle, T. J. Thompson, S. W. Sorensen, and D. F. Williamson, “Lifetime risk for diabetes mellitus in the United States,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 290, no. 14, pp. 1884–1890, 2003.
- C. Banerjee, Y. P. Moon, and M. C. Paik, “Duration of diabetes and risk of ischeamic stroke. The Northern Manhattan Study,” Stroke, vol. 43, pp. 1212–1217, 2012.
- V. Kothari, R. J. Stevens, A. I. Adler et al., “UKPDS 60: risk of stroke in type 2 diabetes estimated by the UK Prospective Diabetes Study risk engine,” Stroke, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1776–1781, 2002.
- J. F. Scott, G. M. Robinson, J. M. French, J. E. O'Connell, K. G. M. M. Alberti, and C. S. Gray, “Prevalence of admission hyperglycaemia across clinical subtypes of acute stroke,” The Lancet, vol. 353, no. 9150, pp. 376–377, 1999.
- J. M. Sprafka, B. A. Virnig, E. Shahar, and P. G. McGovern, “Trends in diabetes prevalence among stroke patients and the effect of diabetes on stroke survival. The Minnesota Heart Survey,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 678–684, 1994.
- J. I. Barzilay, C. F. Spiekerman, L. H. Kuller et al., “Prevalence of clinical and isolated subclinical cardiovascular disease in older adults with glucose disorders: the cardiovascular health study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1233–1239, 2001.
- J. Hewitt, L. Smeeth, C. J. Bulpitt, and A. E. Fletcher, “The prevalence of Type 2 diabetes and its associated health problems in a community-dwelling elderly population,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 370–376, 2009.
- H. Zhang, K. C. Dellsperger, and C. Zhang, “The link between metabolic abnormalities and endothelial dysfunction in type 2 diabetes: an update,” Basic Research in Cardiology, vol. 107, no. 1, article 237, 2012.
- L. Castilla-Guerra and M. Del Carmen Fernandez-Moreno, “Stroke in diabetic patients: is it really a macrovascular complication?” Stroke, vol. 38, no. 10, article e106, 2007.
- L. Blonde, “Benefits and risks for intensive glycaemic control in patients with diabetes mellitus,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 343, no. 1, pp. 17–20, 2012.
- F. M. Turnbull, C. Abraira, R. J. Anderson et al., “Intensive glucose control and macrovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 2288–2298, 2009.
- T. K. Mattila and A. De Boer, “Influence of intensive versus conventional glucose control on microvascular and macrovascular complications in type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus,” Drugs, vol. 70, no. 17, pp. 2229–2245, 2010.
- K. K. Ray, S. R. K. Seshasai, S. Wijesuriya et al., “Effect of intensive control of glucose on cardiovascular outcomes and death in patients with diabetes mellitus: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9677, pp. 1765–1772, 2009.
- The Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes Study Group, “Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, pp. 2545–2559, 2008.
- The ADVANCE Collaborative Group, “Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, pp. 2560–2572, 2008.
- W. Duckworth, C. Abraira, T. Moritz et al., “Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 2, pp. 129–139, 2009.
- C. S. Gray, A. J. Hildreth, P. A. Sandercock et al., “Glucose-potassium-insulin infusions in the management of post-stroke hyperglycaemia: the UK Glucose Insulin in Stroke Trial (GIST-UK),” Lancet Neurology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 397–406, 2007.
- K. C. Johnston, C. E. Hall, B. M. Kissela, T. P. Bleck, and M. R. Conaway, “Glucose regulation in acute stroke patients (grasp) trial: a randomized pilot trial,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 3804–3809, 2009.
- R. A. Whitmer, A. J. Karter, K. Yaffe, C. P. Quesenberry, and J. V. Selby, “Hypoglycemic episodes and risk of dementia in older patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 301, no. 15, pp. 1565–1572, 2009.
- Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation Study Investigators, “Effects of ramipril on cardiovascular and microvascular outcomes in people with diabetes mellitus: results of the HOPE study and MICRO-HOPE substudy,” The Lancet, vol. 355, no. 9200, pp. 253–259, 2000.
- K. Berthet, B. C. Neal, J. P. Chalmers et al., “Reductions in the risks of recurrent stroke in patients with and without diabetes: the PROGRESS Trial,” Blood Pressure, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 2004.
- The ACCORD Study Group, “Effects of intensive blood-pressure control in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, pp. 1575–1585, 2010.
- H. H. Parving, H. Lehnert, J. Brochner-Mortensen, R. Gomis, S. Andersen, and P. Arner, “The effect of irbesartan on the development of diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 12, pp. 870–878, 2001.
- G. F. M. Strippoli, C. Bonifati, M. Craig, S. D. Navaneethan, and J. C. Craig, “Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor antagonists for preventing the progression of diabetic kidney disease,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD006257, 2006.
- R. Collins, J. Armitage, S. Parish, et al., “Effects of cholesterol-lowering with simvastatin on stroke and other major vascular events in 20536 people with cerebrovascular disease or other high-risk conditions,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9411, pp. 757–767, 2004.
- R. Collins, J. Armitage, and S. Parish, “MRC/BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol-lowering with simvastatin in 5963 people with diabetes: a randomised placebo-controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9374, pp. 2005–2016, 2003.
- P. Amarenco, O. Benavente, L. B. Goldstein et al., “Results of the stroke prevention by aggressive reduction in cholesterol levels (SPARCL) trial by stroke subtypes,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 1405–1409, 2009.
- A. Callahan, L. B. Goldstein, and H. Sillesen, “Risk of stroke and cardiovascular events after ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack in patients with type 2 diabetes or metabolic syndrome: secondary analysis of the Stroke Prevention by Aggressive Reduction in Cholesterol Levels (SPARCL) trial,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 68, pp. 1245–1251, 2011.
- A. Tufano, E. Cimino, N. M. D. . Di Minno, et al., “Diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular prevention: the role and the limitations of currently available antiplatelet drugs,” International Journal of Vascular Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 250518, 5 pages, 2011.
- P. Ferroni, S. Basili, A. Falco, and G. Davì, “Platelet activation in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 1282–1291, 2004.
- A. Y. Gasparyan, T. Watson, and G. Y. H. Lip, “The role of Aspirin in cardiovascular prevention: implications of Aspirin resistance,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 51, no. 19, pp. 1829–1843, 2008.
- C. Zhang, A. Sun, and P. Zhang, “Aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in patients with diabetes: a meta-analysis,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 211–218, 2010.
- D. L. Bhatt, S. P. Marso, A. T. Hirsch, P. A. Ringleb, W. Hacke, and E. J. Topol, “Amplified benefit of Clopidogrel versus Aspirin in patients with diabetes mellitus,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 625–628, 2002.
- P. H. C. Diener, P. J. Bogousslavsky, P. L. M. Brass et al., “Aspirin and clopidogrel compared with clopidogrel alone after recent ischaemic stroke or transient ischaemic attack in high-risk patients (MATCH): randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9431, pp. 331–337, 2004.
- D. L. Bhatt, K. A. A. Fox, W. Hacke et al., “Clopidogrel and aspirin versus aspirin alone for the prevention of atherothrombotic events,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 16, pp. 1706–1717, 2006.
- R. G. Hart, L. A. Pearce, and M. I. Aguilar, “Meta-analysis: antithrombotic therapy to prevent stroke in patients who have nonvalvular atrial fibrillation,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 146, no. 12, pp. 857–867, 2007.
- S. J. Connolly, M. D. Ezekowitz, and S. Yusuf, “Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, pp. 1139–1151, 2009.
- A. R. Naylor, P. M. Rothwell, and P. R. F. Bell, “Overview of the principal results and secondary analyses from the European and North American randomised trials endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis,” European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 115–129, 2003.