- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 734871, 11 pages
Trends in the Management of Intracranial Vascular Malformations in the USA from 2000 to 2007
1Department of Neurology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
2Janus Head Consulting, L.L.C., Mineola, NY 11501, USA
3Neurological Surgery P.C., Lake Success, NY 11042, USA
4Department of Biomedical Engineering, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
Received 10 September 2011; Accepted 24 November 2011
Academic Editor: Graham S. Venables
Copyright © 2012 Jae H. Choi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. H. Choi and J. P. Mohr, “Brain arteriovenous malformations in adults,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 299–308, 2005.
- R. Al-Shahi, J. J. Bhattacharya, D. G. Currie et al., “Prospective, population-based detection of intracranial vascular malformations in adults: the Scottish Intracranial Vascular Malformation Study (SIVMS),” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 1163–1169, 2003.
- C. Stapf, H. Mast, R. R. Sciacca et al., “The New York Islands AVM study: design, study progress, and initial results,” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. e29–e33, 2003.
- R. A. Gabriel, H. Kim, S. Sidney et al., “Ten-year detection rate of brain arteriovenous malformations in a large, multiethnic, defined population,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 21–26, 2010.
- J. van Beijnum, J. J. Bhattacharya, C. E. Counsell et al., “Patterns of brain arteriovenous malformation treatment: prospective, population-based study,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 3216–3221, 2008.
- I. Linfante and A. K. Wakhloo, “Brain aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations: advancements and emerging treatments in endovascular embolization,” Stroke, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 1411–1417, 2007.
- M. G. Hamilton and R. F. Spetzler, “The prospective application of a grading system for arteriovenous malformations,” Neurosurgery, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 2–6, 1994.
- J. H. Choi, H. Mast, R. R. Sciacca et al., “Clinical outcome after first and recurrent hemorrhage in patients with untreated brain arteriovenous malformation,” Stroke, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1243–1247, 2006.
- J. van Beijnum, C. E. Lovelock, C. Cordonnier et al., “Outcome after spontaneous and arteriovenous malformation-related intracerebral haemorrhage: population-based studies,” Brain, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 537–543, 2009.
- C. Stapf, H. Mast, R. R. Sciacca et al., “Predictors of hemorrhage in patients with untreated brain arteriovenous malformation,” Neurology, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1350–1355, 2006.
- R. Al-Shahi and C. Warlow, “A systematic review of the frequency and prognosis of arteriovenous malformations of the brain in adults,” Brain, vol. 124, no. 10, pp. 1900–1926, 2001.
- J. P. Mohr, A. J. Moskowitz, C. Stapf et al., “The ARUBA trial: current status, future hopes,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. e537–e540, 2010.
- C. Stapf, J. P. Mohr, J. H. Choi, A. Hartmann, and H. Mast, “Invasive treatment of unruptured brain arteriovenous malformations is experimental therapy,” Current Opinion in Neurology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 63–68, 2006.
- Y. P. Gobin, A. Laurent, L. Merienne et al., “Treatment of brain arteriovenous malformations by embolization and radiosurgery,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 1996.
- K. Maruyama, N. Kawahara, M. Shin et al., “The risk of hemorrhage after radiosurgery for cerebral arteriovenous malformations,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 2, pp. 146–153, 2005.
- U. Sure, N. Butz, A. M. Siegel, H. D. Mennel, S. Bien, and H. Bertalanffy, “Treatment-induced neoangiogenesis in cerebral arteriovenous malformations,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 29–32, 2001.
- HCUP Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS). Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). 2000–2007. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, Md, USA, http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/nisoverview.jsp.
- C. W. Washington, K. E. McCoy, and G. J. Zipfel, “Update on the natural history of cavernous malformations and factors predicting aggressive clinical presentation,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 29, no. 3, p. E7, 2010.
- D. S. M. Ruíz, H. Yilmaz, and P. Gailloud, “Cerebral developmental venous anomalies: current concepts,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 271–283, 2009.
- G. J. Zipfel, M. N. Shah, D. Refai, R. G. Dacey, and C. P. Derdeyn, “Cranial dural arteriovenous fistulas: modification of angiographic classification scales based on new natural history data,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 26, no. 5, p. E14, 2009.
- R. D. Brown Jr., D. O. Wiebers, J. C. Torner, and W. M. O'Fallon, “Incidence and prevalence of intracranial vascular malformations in Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1965 to 1992,” Neurology, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 949–952, 1996.
- C. Hofmeister, C. Stapf, A. Hartmann et al., “Demographic, morphological, and clinical characteristics of 1289 patients with brain arteriovenous malformation,” Stroke, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1307–1310, 2000.
- H. Mast, W. L. Young, H. C. Koennecke et al., “Risk of spontaneous haemorrhage after diagnosis of cerebral arteriovenous malformation,” The Lancet, vol. 350, no. 9084, pp. 1065–1068, 1997.
- S. L. Ondra, H. Troupp, E. D. George, and K. Schwab, “The natural history of symptomatic arteriovenous malformations of the brain: a 24-year follow-up assessment,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 387–391, 1990.
- L. da Costa, M. C. Wallace, K. G. ter Brugge, C. O'Kelly, R. A. Willinsky, and M. Tymianski, “The natural history and predictive features of hemorrhage from brain arteriovenous malformations,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 100–105, 2009.
- C. J. Wedderburn, J. van Beijnum, J. J. Bhattacharya et al., “Outcome after interventional or conservative management of unruptured brain arteriovenous malformations: a prospective, population-based cohort study,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 223–230, 2008.
- C. E. Miller, Z. Quayyum, P. Mcnamee, and R. A.-S. Salman, “Economic burden of intracranial vascular malformations in adults: prospective population-based study,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1973–1979, 2009.