- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 923676, 7 pages
Intravenous Thrombolytic Treatment in the Oldest Old
1Stroke Center, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Ramon y Cajal, IRYCIS, Health Research Institute, University of Alcalá de Henares, 28034 Madrid, Spain
2Stroke Center, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Clínico San Carlos, The Complutense University, 28040 Madrid, Spain
3Stroke Center, Department of Neurology, Neurosciences Research, IdiPAZ, Health Research Institute, University Hospital La Paz, Autonoma University of Madrid, 28046 Madrid, Spain
4Stroke Center, Department of Neurology, Princesa Health Research Institute, University Hospital La Princesa, Autonoma University, 28006 Madrid, Spain
5Stroke Center, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Gregorio Marañon, Complutense University, 28009 Madrid, Spain
Received 27 March 2012; Revised 23 May 2012; Accepted 28 May 2012
Academic Editor: Chelsea S. Kidwell
Copyright © 2012 Juan García-Caldentey et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. L. Feigin, C. M. M. Lawes, D. A. Bennett, and C. S. Anderson, “Stroke epidemiology: a review of population-based studies of incidence, prevalence, and case-fatality in the late 20th century,” Lancet Neurology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 43–53, 2003.
- E. W. Campion, “The oldest old,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 330, no. 25, pp. 1819–1820, 1994.
- World Health Organization, “Aging and life course,” 2006, http://whqlibdoc.who.int/gender/2003/a85586.pdf.
- F. B. Hobbs, “The elderly population,” US Census Bureau Population Profile of the United States, http://www.census.gov/population/www/pop-profile/elderpop.html.
- “International year of older persons: demographic of older persons,” United Nations Department of Public Information, 1999, http://www.un.org/NewLinks/older/99/older.htm.
- D. Tanne, M. J. Gorman, V. E. Bates et al., “Intravenous tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke in patients aged 80 years and older: the tPA stroke survey experience,” Stroke, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 370–375, 2000.
- S. Olindo, P. Cabre, R. Deschamps et al., “Acute stroke in the very elderly: epidemiological features, stroke subtypes, management, and outcome in Martinique, French West Indies,” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 1593–1597, 2003.
- A. Di Carlo, L. J. Launer, M. M. B. Breteler et al., “Frequency of stroke in Europe: a collaborative study of population-based cohorts,” Neurology, vol. 54, no. 11, supplement 5, pp. S28–S33, 2000.
- P. M. Rothwell, A. J. Coull, M. F. Giles et al., “Change in stroke incidence, mortality, case-fatality, severity, and risk factors in Oxfordshire, UK from 1981 to 2004 (Oxford Vascular Study),” Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9425, pp. 1925–1933, 2004.
- A. Di Carlo, M. Lamassa, G. Pracucci et al., “Stroke in the very old: clinical presentation and determinants of 3-month functional outcome: a European perspective,” Stroke, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 2313–2319, 1999.
- T. Pohjasvaara, T. Erkinjuntti, R. Vataja, and M. Kaste, “Comparison of stroke features and disability in daily life in patients with ischemic stroke aged 55 to 70 and 71 to 85 years,” Stroke, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 729–735, 1997.
- Y. Béjot, O. Rouaud, A. Jacquin et al., “Stroke in the very old: incidence, risk factors, clinical features, outcomes and access to resources—a 22-year population-based study,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 111–121, 2010.
- J. R. Marler, “Tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 333, no. 24, pp. 1581–1587, 1995.
- W. Hacke, M. Kaste, E. Bluhmki et al., “Thrombolysis with alteplase 3 to 4.5 hours after acute ischemic stroke,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 13, pp. 1317–1329, 2008.
- K. R. Lees, E. Bluhmki, R. von Kummer et al., “Time to treatment with intravenous alteplase and outcome in stroke: an updated pooled analysis of ECASS, ATLANTIS, NINDS, and EPITHET trials,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9727, pp. 1695–1703, 2010.
- W. T. Longstreth, R. Katz, D. L. Tirschwell, M. Cushman, and B. M. Psaty, “Intravenous tissue plasminogen activator and stroke in the elderly,” American Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 359–363, 2010.
- W. Hacke, G. Donnan, C. Fieschi, et al., “Association of outcome with early stroke treatment: pooled analysis of ATLANTIS, ECASS, and NINDS rt-PA stroke trials,” Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9411, pp. 768–774, 2004.
- J. Berrouschot, J. Röther, J. Glahn, T. Kucinski, J. Fiehler, and G. Thomalla, “Outcome and severe hemorrhagic complications of intravenous thrombolysis with tissue plasminogen activator in very old (≥80 years) stroke patients,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 2421–2425, 2005.
- S. Pundik, L. McWilliams-Dunnigan, K. L. Blackham et al., “Older age does not increase risk of hemorrhagic complications after intravenous and/or intra-arterial thrombolysis for acute stroke,” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 266–272, 2008.
- M. Gómez-Choco, V. Obach, X. Urra et al., “The response to IV rt-PA in very old stroke patients,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 253–256, 2008.
- P. Bhatnagar, D. Sinha, R. A. Parker, P. Guyler, and A. O'Brien, “Intravenous thrombolysis in acute ischaemic stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis to aid decision making in patients over 80 years of age,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 82, no. 7, pp. 712–717, 2011.
- N. Zeevi, J. Chhabra, I. E. Silverman, N. S. Lee, and L. D. McCullough, “Acute stroke management in the elderly,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 304–308, 2007.
- A. Alshekhlee, A. Mohammadi, S. Mehta et al., “Is thrombolysis safe in the elderly? Analysis of a national database,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 2259–2264, 2010.
- G. A. Ford, N. Ahmed, E. Azevedo et al., “Intravenous alteplase for stroke in those older than 80 years old,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 2568–2574, 2010.
- N. K. Mishra, N. Ahmed, G. Andersen et al., “Thrombolysis in very elderly people: controlled comparison of SITS International Stroke Thrombolysis Registry and Virtual International Stroke Trials Archive,” BMJ, vol. 341, article c6046, 2010.
- F. J. Mateen, M. Nasser, B. R. Spencer et al., “Outcomes of intravenous tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke in patients aged 90 years or older,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 334–338, 2009.
- H. Sarikaya, M. Arnold, S. T. Engelter et al., “Intravenous thrombolysis in nonagenarians with ischemic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 1967–1970, 2011.
- F. J. Mateen, A. M. Buchan, and M. D. Hill, “Outcomes of thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke in octogenarians versus nonagenarians,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1833–1835, 2010.
- M. Alonso De Leciñana-Cases, A. Gil-Núñez, and E. Díez-Tejedor, “Relevance of stroke code, stroke unit and stroke networks in organization of acute stroke care—the Madrid acute stroke care program,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 27, supplement 1, pp. 140–147, 2009.
- N. Wahlgren, N. Ahmed, A. Dávalos et al., “Thrombolysis with alteplase for acute ischaemic stroke in the Safe Implementation of Thrombolysis in Stroke-Monitoring Study (SITS-MOST): an observational study,” Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9558, pp. 275–282, 2007.
- R. Bonita and R. Beaglehole, “Recovery of motor function after stroke,” Stroke, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1497–1500, 1988.
- P. A. Barber, J. Zhang, A. M. Demchuk, M. D. Hill, and A. M. Buchan, “Why are stroke patients excluded from TPA therapy? An analysis of patient eligibility,” Neurology, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 1015–1020, 2001.
- P. U. Heuschmann, P. L. Kolominsky-Rabas, J. Roether et al., “Predictors of in-hospital mortality in patients with acute ischemic stroke treated with thrombolytic therapy,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 292, no. 15, pp. 1831–1838, 2004.
- L. P. Kammersgaard, H. S. Jørgensen, J. Reith, H. Nakayama, P. M. Pedersen, and T. S. Olsen, “Short- and long-term prognosis for every old stroke patients. The Copenhagen Stroke Study,” Age and Ageing, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 149–154, 2004.
- D. Toni and S. Lorenzano, “Intravenous thrombolysis with rt-PA in acute stroke patients aged ≥ 80 years,” International Journal of Stroke, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 21–22, 2009.
- P. Sandercock, R. Lindley, J. Wardlaw et al., “The third international stroke trial (IST-3) of thrombolysis for acute ischaemic stroke,” Trials, vol. 9, article no. 37, 2008.