- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 945849, 7 pages
Fibrinolytic Activity and Platelet Function in Subjects with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea and a Patent Foramen Ovale: Is There an Option for Prevention of Ischaemic Stroke?
1Department of Neurology, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital, P.O. Box 25, 900029 OYS, Finland
2Department of Neurology, “A. Avogadro” University, Novara, Italy
3Department of Clinical Chemistry, Laboratory of Hematology, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Hospital, Finland
4Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Tampere and Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
5Department of Neurology, Tokyo Women’s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Received 13 July 2012; Revised 28 September 2012; Accepted 28 September 2012
Academic Editor: Luis Castilla-Guerra
Copyright © 2012 Monica Reggiani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Caples, A. S. Gami, and V. K. Somers, “Obstructive sleep apnea,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 187–197, 2005.
- H. Yaggi and V. Mohsenin, “Obstructive sleep apnoea and stroke,” Lancet Neurology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 333–342, 2004.
- H. K. Yaggi, J. Concato, W. N. Kernan, J. H. Lichtman, L. M. Brass, and V. Mohsenin, “Obstructive sleep apnea as a risk factor for stroke and death,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 353, no. 19, pp. 2034–2041, 2005.
- V. Mohsenin, “Sleep-related breathing disorders and risk of Stroke,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1271–1276, 2001.
- R. Wolk, T. Kara, and V. K. Somers, “Sleep-disordered breathing and cardiovascular disease,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 9–12, 2003.
- A. S. Gami, G. Pressman, S. M. Caples et al., “Association of atrial fibrillation and obstructive sleep apnea,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 364–367, 2004.
- R. Von Känel and J. E. Dimsdale, “Hemostatic alterations in patients with obstructive sleep apnea and the implications for cardiovascular disease,” Chest, vol. 124, no. 5, pp. 1956–1967, 2003.
- G. W. Petty, B. K. Khandheria, I. Meissner et al., “Population-based study of the relationship between patent foramen ovale and cerebrovascular ischemic events,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 602–608, 2006.
- V. Karttunen, M. Ventilä, M. Ikäheimo, M. Niemelä, and M. Hillbom, “Ear oximetry: a noninvasive method for detection of patent foramen ovale: a study comparing dye dilution method and oximetry with contrast transesophageal echocardiography,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 448–453, 2001.
- K. L. Hassell, “Hematologic ramifications of patent foramen ovale—role of hypercoagulable state,” Cardiology Clinics, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2005.
- K. Berthet, T. Lavergne, A. Cohen et al., “Significant association of atrial vulnerability with atrial septal abnormalities in young patients with ischemic stroke of unknown cause,” Stroke, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 398–403, 2000.
- H. Brogren, L. Karlsson, M. Andersson, L. Wang, D. Erlinge, and S. Jern, “Platelets synthesize large amounts of active plasminogen activator inhibitor 1,” Blood, vol. 104, no. 13, pp. 3943–3948, 2004.
- H. R. Lijnen, “Pleiotropic functions of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 35–45, 2005.
- T. Uchiyama, M. Kurabayashi, Y. Ohyama et al., “Hypoxia induces transcription of the plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 gene through genistein-sensitive tyrosine kinase pathways in vascular endothelial cells,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1155–1161, 2000.
- Z. M. Ruggeri, J. N. Orje, R. Habermann, A. B. Federici, and A. J. Reininger, “Activation-independent platelet adhesion and aggregation under elevated shear stress,” Blood, vol. 108, no. 6, pp. 1903–1910, 2006.
- “2003 World Health Organization (WHO)/International Society of Hypertension (ISH) statement on management of hypertension,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1983–1992, 2003.
- M. Fukuyama, K. Sakai, I. Itagaki et al., “Continuous measurement of shear-induced platelet aggregation,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 253–260, 1989.
- S. Uchiyama, M. Yamazaki, S. Maruyama et al., “Shear-induced platelet aggregation in cerebral ischemia,” Stroke, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1547–1551, 1994.
- H. Numminen, M. Kobayashi, S. Uchiyama et al., “Effects of alcohol and the evening meal on shear-induced platelet aggregation and urinary excretion of prostanoids,” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 594–600, 2000.
- C. Rångemark, J. A. Hedner, J. T. Carlson, G. Gleerup, and K. Winther, “Platelet function and fibrinolytic activity in hypertensive and normotensive sleep apnea patients,” Sleep, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 188–194, 1995.
- R. von Känel, J. S. Loredo, S. Ancoli-Israel, and J. E. Dimsdale, “Association between sleep apnea severity and blood coagulability: treatment effects of nasal continuous positive airway pressure,” Sleep and Breathing, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 139–146, 2006.
- D. E. Vaughan, “PAI-1 and atherothrombosis,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 1879–1883, 2005.
- E. Haapaniemi, T. Tatlisumak, L. Soinne, M. Syrjälä, and M. Kaste, “Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 in patients with ischemic stroke.,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 76, pp. 277–278, 2000.
- T. E. Wessendorf, A. F. Thilmann, Y. M. Wang, A. Schreiber, N. Konietzko, and H. Teschler, “Fibrinogen levels and obstructive sleep apnea in ischemic stroke,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 162, no. 6, pp. 2039–2042, 2000.
- A. M. Thögersen, J. H. Jansson, K. Boman et al., “High plasminogen activator inhibitor and tissue plasminogen activator levels in plasma precede a first acute myocardial infarction in both men and women: evidence for the fibrinolytic system as an independent primary risk factor,” Circulation, vol. 98, no. 21, pp. 2241–2247, 1998.
- J. Krieger, D. Benzoni, E. Sforza, and J. Sassard, “Urinary excretion of prostanoids during sleep in obstructive sleep apnoea patients,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 551–555, 1991.
- H. Kimura, M. Niijima, Y. Abe et al., “Compensatory excretion of prostacyclin and thromboxane metabolites in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome,” Internal Medicine, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 127–133, 1998.
- G. Bokinsky, M. Miller, K. Ault, P. Husband, and J. Mitchell, “Spontaneous platelet activation and aggregation during obstructive sleep apnea and its response to therapy with nasal continuous positive airway pressure: a preliminary investigation,” Chest, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 625–630, 1995.
- I. Eisensehr, B. L. Ehrenberg, S. Noachtar et al., “Platelet activation, epinephrine, and blood pressure in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome,” Neurology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 188–195, 1998.
- T. Geiser, F. Buck, B. J. Meyer, C. Bassetti, A. Haeberli, and M. Gugger, “In vivo platelet activation is increased during sleep in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome,” Respiration, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 229–234, 2002.
- D. S. Hui, F. W. Ko, J. P. Fok et al., “The effects of nasal continuous positive airway pressure on platelet activation in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome,” Chest, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 1768–1775, 2004.
- B. M. Sanner, M. Konermann, M. Tepel, J. Groetz, C. Mummenhoff, and W. Zidek, “Platelet function in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 648–652, 2000.
- S. West, H. Segal, P. Harrison, and J. Stradling, “Platelet function (measured by Platelet Function Analyser—100) and obstructive sleep apnoea,” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 325–327, 2005.
- M. Beelke, S. Angeli, M. Del Sette et al., “Obstructive sleep apnea can be provocative for right-to-left shunting through a patent foramen ovale,” Sleep, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 856–862, 2002.
- H. Shanoudy, A. Soliman, P. Raggi, J. W. Liu, D. C. Russell, and N. F. Jarmukli, “Prevalence of patent foramen ovale and its contribution to hypoxemia in patients with obstructive sleep apnea,” Chest, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 91–96, 1998.
- L. Lavie, “Obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome—an oxidative stress disorder,” Sleep Medicine Reviews, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 35–51, 2003.
- M. Guchlerner, P. Kardos, E. Liss-koch et al., “PFO and right-to-left shunting in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea,” Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, vol. 8, pp. 375–380, 2012.