- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 159105, 5 pages
Playing Piano Can Improve Upper Extremity Function after Stroke: Case Studies
1School of Physical and Occupational Therapy, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A OG4
2Feil and Oberfeld Research Centre, Jewish Rehabilitation Hospital, Research Site of the Montreal Center for Interdisciplinary Research in Rehabilitation (CRIR), 3205 Place Alton-Goldbloom, Laval, QC, Canada H7V 1R2
Received 5 December 2012; Accepted 23 January 2013
Academic Editor: Majaz Moonis
Copyright © 2013 Myriam Villeneuve and Anouk Lamontagne. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Kwakkel, B. J. Kollen, J. V. Van der Grond, and A. J. H. Prevo, “Probability of regaining dexterity in the flaccid upper limb: impact of severity of paresis and time since onset in acute stroke,” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 2181–2186, 2003.
- R. P. S. Van Peppen, G. Kwakkel, S. Wood-Dauphinee, H. J. M. Hendriks, P. J. Van der Wees, and J. Dekker, “The impact of physical therapy on functional outcomes after stroke: what's the evidence?” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 833–862, 2004.
- E. V. Cooke, K. Mares, A. Clark, R. C. Tallis, and V. M. Pomeroy, “The effects of increased dose of exercise-based therapies to enhance motor recovery after stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” BMC Medicine, vol. 8, article 60, 2010.
- F. Ferrarello, M. Baccini, L. A. Rinaldi et al., “Efficacy of physiotherapy interventions late after stroke: a meta-analysis,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 136–143, 2011.
- P. M. Rossini and G. Dal Forno, “Neuronal post-stroke plasticity in the adult,” Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 3-4, pp. 193–206, 2004.
- S. Schneider, T. Münte, A. Rodriguez-Fornells, M. Sailer, and E. Altenmüller, “Music-supported training is more efficient than functional motor training for recovery of fine motor skills in stroke patients,” Music Perception, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 271–280, 2010.
- A. Rodriguez-Fornells, N. Rojo, J. L. Amengual, P. Ripollés, E. Altenmüller, and T. F. Münte, “The involvement of audio-motor coupling in the music-supported therapy applied to stroke patients,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1252, pp. 282–293, 2012.
- N. Rojo, J. Amengual, M. Juncadella et al., “Music-Supported Therapy induces plasticity in the sensorimotor cortex in chronic stroke: a single-case study using multimodal imaging (fMRI-TMS),” Brain Injury, vol. 25, no. 7-8, pp. 787–793, 2011.
- E. Altenmüller, J. Marco-Pallares, T. F. Münte, and S. Schneider, “Neural reorganization underlies improvement in stroke-induced motor dysfunction by music-supported therapy,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1169, pp. 395–405, 2009.
- M. Bangert and E. O. Altenmüller, “Mapping perception to action in piano practice: a longitudinal DC-EEG study,” BMC Neuroscience, vol. 4, article 26, 2003.
- H. M. Chen, C. C. Chen, I. P. Hsueh, S. L. Huang, and C. L. Hsieh, “Test-retest reproducibility and smallest real difference of 5 hand function tests in patients with stroke,” Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 435–440, 2009.