- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 510481, 7 pages
Advances in the Critical Care Management of Ischemic Stroke
Department of Neurology, University of California-San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Received 25 March 2013; Accepted 7 May 2013
Academic Editor: Majaz Moonis
Copyright © 2013 Vineeta Singh and Nancy J. Edwards. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. R. Zazulia, “Critical care management of acute ischemic stroke,” Continuum Lifelong Learning in Neurology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 68–82, 2009.
- M. N. Diringer and D. F. Edwards, “Admission to a neurologic/neurosurgical intensive care unit is associated with reduced mortality rate after intracerebral hemorrhage,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 635–640, 2001.
- E. M. Bershad, E. S. Feen, O. H. Hernandez, M. F. K. Suri, and J. I. Suarez, “Impact of a specialized neurointensive care team on outcomes of critically ill acute ischemic stroke patients,” Neurocritical Care, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 287–292, 2008.
- J. P. Broderick, Y. Y. Palesch, A. M. Demchuk, et al., “Endovascular therapy after intravenous t-PA versus t-PA alone for stroke,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 368, no. 10, pp. 893–903, 2013.
- A. Ciccone, L. Valvassori, M. Nichelatti, et al., “Endovascular treatment for acute ischemic stroke,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 368, no. 10, pp. 904–913, 2013.
- G. W. Albers, V. E. Bates, W. M. Clark, R. Bell, P. Verro, and S. A. Hamilton, “Intravenous tissue-type plasminogen activator for treatment of acute stroke: the Standard Treatment with Alteplase to Reverse Stroke (STARS) study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 283, no. 9, pp. 1145–1150, 2000.
- M. D. Hill and A. M. Buchan, “Thrombolysis for acute ischemic stroke: results of the Canadian Alteplase for Stroke Effectiveness Study,” CMAJ, vol. 172, no. 10, pp. 1307–1312, 2005.
- K. R. Lees, E. Bluhmki, R. von Kummer et al., “Time to treatment with intravenous alteplase and outcome in stroke: an updated pooled analysis of ECASS, ATLANTIS, NINDS, and EPITHET trials,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9727, pp. 1695–1703, 2010.
- E. C. Jauch, J. L. Saver, H. P. Adams, et al., “Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association,” Stroke, vol. 44, pp. 870–947, 2013.
- J. Broderick, S. Connolly, E. Feldmann et al., “Guidelines for the management of spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage in adults: 2007 update: a guideline from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Stroke Council, High Blood Pressure Research Council, and the Quality of Care and Outcomes in Research Interdisciplinary Working Group,” Stroke, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 2001–2023, 2007.
- M. D. Hill, T. Lye, H. Moss et al., “Hemi-orolingual angioedema and ACE inhibition after alteplase treatment of stroke,” Neurology, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 1525–1527, 2003.
- C. M. Shaw, E. C. Alvord Jr., and R. G. Berry, “Swelling of the brain following ischemic infarction with arterial occlusion,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 1, pp. 161–177, 1959.
- W. Hacke, S. Schwab, M. Horn, M. Spranger, M. de Georgia, and R. von Kummer, “‘Malignant’ middle cerebral artery territory infarction: clinical course and prognostic signs,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 309–315, 1996.
- E. F. M. Wijdicks and M. N. Diringer, “Middle cerebral artery territory infarction and early brain swelling: progression and effect of age on outcome,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 829–836, 1998.
- S. E. Kasner, A. M. Demchuk, J. Berrouschot et al., “Predictors of fatal brain edema in massive hemispheric ischemic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 2117–2123, 2001.
- K. Vahedi, J. Hofmeijer, E. Juettler et al., “Early decompressive surgery in malignant infarction of the middle cerebral artery: a pooled analysis of three randomised controlled trials,” Lancet Neurology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 215–222, 2007.
- H. B. Huttner and S. Schwab, “Malignant middle cerebral artery infarction: clinical characteristics, treatment strategies, and future perspectives,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 949–958, 2009.
- S. Schwarz, S. Schwab, M. Bertram, A. Aschoff, and W. Hacke, “Effects of hypertonic saline hydroxyethyl starch solution and mannitol in patients with increased intracranial pressure after stroke,” Stroke, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1550–1555, 1998.
- H. Kamel, B. B. Navi, K. Nakagawa, J. C. Hemphill, and N. U. Ko, “Hypertonic saline versus mannitol for the treatment of elevated intracranial pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 554–559, 2011.
- J. M. Simard, M. Chen, K. V. Tarasov et al., “Newly expressed SUR1-regulated NCCa-ATP channel mediates cerebral edema after ischemic stroke,” Nature Medicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 433–440, 2006.
- J. M. Simard, N. Tsymbalyuk, O. Tsymbalyuk, S. Ivanova, V. Yurovsky, and V. Gerzanich, “Glibenclamide is superior to decompressive craniectomy in a rat model of malignant stroke,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 531–537, 2010.
- J. M. Simard, S. K. Woo, G. T. Schwartzbauer, and V. Gerzanich, “Sulfonylurea receptor 1 in central nervous system injury: a focused review,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 1699–1717, 2012.
- J. Leonardi-Bee, P. M. W. Bath, S. J. Phillips, and P. A. G. Sandercock, “Blood pressure and clinical outcomes in the international stroke trial,” Stroke, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1315–1320, 2002.
- E. C. Sandset, P. M. W. Bath, G. Boysen et al., “The angiotensin-receptor blocker candesartan for treatment of acute stroke (SCAST): a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial,” The Lancet, vol. 377, no. 9767, pp. 741–750, 2011.
- G. Rordorf, W. J. Koroshetz, M. A. Ezzeddine, A. Z. Segal, and F. S. Buonanno, “A pilot study of drug-induced hypertension for treatment of acute stroke,” Neurology, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 1210–1213, 2001.
- R. M. Chestnut, N. Temkin, N. Carney, et al., “A trial of intracranial-pressure monitoring in traumatic brain injury,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 367, no. 26, pp. 2471–2481, 2012.
- J. I. Frank, “Large hemispheric infarction, deterioration, and intracranial pressure,” Neurology, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 1286–1290, 1995.
- S. Schwab, A. Aschoff, M. Spranger, F. Albert, and W. Hacke, “The value of intracranial pressure monitoring in acute hemispheric stroke,” Neurology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 393–398, 1996.
- E. Keller, T. Steiner, J. Fandino, S. Schwab, and W. Hacke, “Jugular venous oxygen saturation thresholds in trauma patients may not extrapolate to ischemic stroke patients: lessons from a preliminary study,” Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 130–136, 2002.
- P. J. Lindsberg and R. O. Roine, “Advances in stroke 2003: hyperglycemia in acute stroke,” Stroke, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 363–364, 2004.
- S. E. Capes, D. Hunt, K. Malmberg, P. Pathak, and H. C. Gerstein, “Stress hyperglycemia and prognosis of stroke in nondiabetic and diabetic patients: a systematic overview,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 2426–2432, 2001.
- NICE-SUGAR Study Investigators, “Intensive versus conventional glucose control in critically ill patients,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 13, pp. 1283–1297, 2009.
- H. A. Choi, S. B. Ko, M. Presciutti et al., “Prevention of shivering during therapeutic temperature modulation: the Columbia anti-shivering protocol,” Neurocritical Care, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 389–394, 2011.