- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 546093, 5 pages
Long-Term Use of a Static Hand-Wrist Orthosis in Chronic Stroke Patients: A Pilot Study
Revant Rehabilitation Centre Breda, Brabantlaan 1, 4817 JW Breda, The Netherlands
Received 11 December 2012; Revised 31 January 2013; Accepted 31 January 2013
Academic Editor: Valery Feigin
Copyright © 2013 Aukje Andringa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. G. Broeks, G. J. Lankhorst, K. Rumping, and A. J. H. Prevo, “The long-term outcome of arm function after stroke: results of a follow-up study,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 357–364, 1999.
- H. Nakayama, H. S. Jorgensen, H. O. Raaschou, and T. S. Olsen, “Recovery of upper extremity function in stroke patients: the Copenhagen Stroke Study,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 394–398, 1994.
- H. Nakayama, H. S. Jorgensen, H. O. Raaschou, and T. S. Olsen, “Compensation in recovery of upper extremity function after stroke: the Copenhagen stroke study,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 75, no. 8, pp. 852–857, 1994.
- P. P. Urban, T. Wolf, M. Uebele et al., “Occurence and clinical predictors of spasticity after ischemic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 2016–2020, 2010.
- K. H. Kong, K. S. G. Chua, and J. Lee, “Symptomatic upper limb spasticity in patients with chronic stroke attending a rehabilitation clinic: frequency, clinical correlates and predictors,” Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 453–457, 2010.
- S. Malhotra, A. D. Pandyan, S. Rosewilliam, C. Roffe, and H. Hermens, “Spasticity and contractures at the wrist after stroke: time course of development and their association with functional recovery of the upper limb,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 184–191, 2011.
- A. D. Pandyan, M. Cameron, J. Powell, D. J. Stott, and M. H. Granat, “Contratures in the post-stroke wrist: a pilot study of its time course of development and its association with upper limb recovery,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 88–95, 2003.
- I. C. M. Heijnen, R. J. P. Franken, B. J. W. Bevaart, and J. W. G. Meijer, “Long-term outcome of superficialis-to-profundus tendon transfer in patients with clenched fist due to spastic hemiplegia,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 675–678, 2008.
- M. Franceschini, F. La Porta, M. Agosti, and M. Massucci, “Is health-related-quality of life of stroke patients influenced by neurological impairments at one year after stroke?” European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 389–399, 2010.
- D. S. Nichols-Larsen, P. C. Clark, A. Zeringue, A. Greenspan, and S. Blanton, “Factors influencing stroke survivors' quality of life during subacute recovery,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1480–1484, 2005.
- U. Sveen, E. Bautz-Holter, K. M. Sødring, T. B. Wyller, and K. Laake, “Association between impairments, self-care ability and social activities 1 year after stroke,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 372–377, 1999.
- S. E. Farmer and M. James, “Contractures in orthopaedic and neurological conditions: a review of causes and treatment,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 23, no. 13, pp. 549–558, 2001.
- D. B. Cherry, “Review of physical therapy alternatives for reducing muscle contracture,” Physical Therapy, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 877–881, 1980.
- P. W. Duncan, R. Zorowitz, B. Bates et al., “Management of adult stroke rehabilitation care: a clinical practice guideline,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. e100–e143, 2005.
- E. L. Miller, L. Murray, L. Richards et al., “Comprehensive overview of nursing and interdisciplinary rehabilitation care of the stroke patient: a scientific statement from the American heart association,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 2402–2448, 2010.
- R. P. S. Van Peppen, H. J. M. Hendriks, N. L. U. Van Meeteren, P. J. M. Helders, and G. Kwakkel, “The development of a clinical practice stroke guideline for physiotherapist in The Netherland: a systematic review of available evidence,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 767–783, 2007.
- E. A. M. Franke, Ed., Commissie CVA-Revalidatie. Rehabilitation after a stroke, guidelines and recommendations for health care professionals, Dutch Heart Foundation, Den Haag, The Netherlands, 2001.
- N. A. Lannin and R. D. Herbert, “Is hand splinting effective for adults following stroke? A systematic review and methodological critique of published research,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 807–816, 2003.
- S. F. Tyson and R. M. Kent, “The effect of upper limb orthotics after stroke: a systematic review,” NeuroRehabilitation, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 2011.
- P. A. Feldman, “Upper extremity casting and splinting,” in The Practical Management of Spasticity in Children and Adults, M. B. Glenn and J. Whyte, Eds., pp. 149–166, Lea&Febiger, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1990.
- A. J. Turton and E. Britton, “A pilot randomized controlled trial of a daily muscle stretch regime to prevent contractures in the arm after stroke,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 600–612, 2005.
- O. M. Katalinic, L. A. Harvey, R. D. Herbert, A. M. Moseley, N. A. Lannin, and K. Schurr, “Stretch for the treatment and prevention of contractures,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 9, Article ID CD007455, 2010.
- S. F. Tyson and R. M. Kent, “Orthotic devices after stroke and other non-progressive brain lesions,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD003694, 2009.