- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 562564, 6 pages
Medicolegal Considerations with Intravenous Tissue Plasminogen Activator in Stroke: A Systematic Review
Providence Brain and Spine Institute, Portland, OR 97225, USA
Received 6 January 2013; Revised 30 April 2013; Accepted 17 June 2013
Academic Editor: Thilo Hölscher
Copyright © 2013 Archit Bhatt et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. R. Marler, “Tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 333, no. 24, pp. 1581–1587, 1995.
- C. Fieschi, W. Hacke, M. Kaste, D. Toni, and E. Lesaffre, “Thrombolytic therapy for acute ischaemic stroke. ECASS Study Group,” Lancet, vol. 350, no. 9089, pp. 1476–1477, 1997.
- W. M. Clark, S. Wissman, G. W. Albers, J. H. Jhamandas, K. P. Madden, and S. Hamilton, “Recombinant tissue-type plasminogen activator (Alteplase) for ischemic stroke 3 to 5 hours after symptom onset the ATLANTIS study: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 282, no. 21, pp. 2019–2026, 1999.
- W. Hacke, M. Kaste, E. Bluhmki et al., “Thrombolysis with alteplase 3 to 4.5 hours after acute ischemic stroke,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 13, pp. 1317–1329, 2008.
- H. P. Adams Jr., T. G. Brott, A. J. Furlan et al., “Guidelines for thrombolytic therapy for acute stroke: a supplement to the guidelines for the management of patients with acute ischemic stroke. A statement for healthcare professionals from a special writing group of the Stroke Council, American Heart Association,” Circulation, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 1167–1174, 1996.
- “Position statement of the american academy of emergency medicine on the use of intravenous thrombolytic therapy in the treatment of stroke,” http://www.aaem.org/em-resources/position-statements/2002/thrombolytic-therapy.
- T. A. Brennan, C. M. Sox, and H. R. Burstin, “Relation between negligent adverse events and the outcomes of medical-malpractice litigation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 335, no. 26, pp. 1963–1967, 1996.
- D. M. Studdert, M. M. Mello, A. A. Gawande et al., “Claims, errors, and compensation payments in medical malpractice litigation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 19, pp. 2024–2033, 2006.
- Piaa Risk Management Review, Neurology edition, 2009.
- M. I. Weintraub, “Thrombolysis (tissue plasminogen activator) in stroke: a medicolegal quagmire,” Stroke, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 1917–1922, 2006.
- B. A. Liang and J. A. Zivin, “Empirical characteristics of litigation involving tissue plasminogen activator and ischemic stroke,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 160–164, 2008.
- I. L. Katzan, C. A. Sila, and A. J. Furlan, “Community use of intravenous tissue plasminogen activator for acute stroke: results of the brain matters stroke management survey,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 861–864, 2001.
- I. L. Katzan, A. J. Furlan, L. E. Lloyd et al., “Use of tissue-type plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke: the Cleveland area experience,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 283, no. 9, pp. 1151–1158, 2000.
- M. J. Reeves, S. Arora, J. P. Broderick et al., “Acute stroke care in the us: results from 4 pilot prototypes of the paul coverdell national acute stroke registry,” Stroke, vol. 36, pp. 1232–1240, 2005.
- D. L. Brown, W. G. Barsan, L. D. Lisabeth, M. E. Gallery, and L. B. Morgenstern, “Survey of emergency physicians about recombinant tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 56–60, 2005.
- D. Kleindorfer, M. D. Hill, D. Woo et al., “A description of Canadian and United States physician reimbursement for thrombolytic therapy administration in acute ischemic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 682–687, 2005.
- L. L. Edwards, “Using tPA for acute stroke in a rural setting,” Neurology, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 292–294, 2007.
- M. A. Pervez, G. Silva, S. Masrur et al., “Remote supervision of IV-tPA for acute ischemic stroke by telemedicine or telephone before transfer to a regional stroke center is feasible and safe,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. e18–e24, 2010.