- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 692137, 13 pages
Is Weight-Bearing Asymmetry Associated with Postural Instability after Stroke? A Systematic Review
1ViaReva, Centre for Rehabilitation, P.O. Box 812, 7301 BB Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
2Radboud University Medical Centre, Nijmegen Centre for Evidence Based Practice, Department of Rehabilitation, P.O. Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
3Sint Maartenskliniek, Research, Development & Education, P.O. Box 9011, 6500 GM Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Received 31 October 2012; Revised 28 January 2013; Accepted 18 March 2013
Academic Editor: Catherine Said
Copyright © 2013 Jip F. Kamphuis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Kollen, G. Kwakkel, and E. Lindeman, “Functional recovery after stroke: a review of current developments in stroke rehabilitation research,” Reviews on Recent Clinical Trials, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 75–80, 2006.
- I. G. van de Port, G. Kwakkel, V. P. Schepers, and E. Lindeman, “Predicting mobility outcome one year after stroke: A Prospective Cohort Study,” Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 218–223, 2006.
- B. J. Kollen, G. Kwakkel, and E. Lindeman, “Longitudinal robustness of variables predicting independent gait following severe middle cerebral artery stroke: A Prospective Cohort Study,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 262–268, 2006.
- V. Weerdesteyn, M. de Niet, H. J. R. van Duijnhoven, and A. C. H. Geurts, “Falls in individuals with stroke,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 1195–1213, 2008.
- S. F. Mackintosh, K. D. Hill, K. J. Dodd, P. A. Goldie, and E. G. Culham, “Balance score and a history of falls in hospital predict recurrent falls in the 6 months following stroke rehabilitation,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 87, no. 12, pp. 1583–1589, 2006.
- A. S. Aruin, T. Hanke, G. Chaudhuri, R. Harvey, and R. Noel, “Compelled weightbearing in persons with hemiparesis following stroke: the effect of a lift insert and goal-directed balance exercise,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 2000.
- J. Mizrahi, P. Solzi, H. Ring, and R. Nisell, “Postural stability in stroke patients: vectorial expression of asymmetry, sway activity and relative sequence of reactive forces,” Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 181–190, 1989.
- C. M. Sackley, “Falls, sway, and symmetry of weight-bearing after stroke,” International Disability Studies, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 1991.
- J. Barra, L. Oujamaa, V. Chauvineau, P. Rougier, and D. Pérennou, “Asymmetric standing posture after stroke is related to a biased egocentric coordinate system,” Neurology, vol. 72, no. 18, pp. 1582–1587, 2009.
- A. Mansfield, C. J. Danells, E. Inness, G. Mochizuki, and W. E. McIlroy, “Between-limb synchronization for control of standing balance in individuals with stroke,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 312–317, 2011.
- M. De Haart, A. C. Geurts, S. C. Huidekoper, L. Fasotti, and J. Van Limbeek, “Recovery of standing balance in postacute stroke patients: A Rehabilitation Cohort Study,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 886–895, 2004.
- B. J. Kollen, S. Lennon, B. Lyons et al., “The effectiveness of the bobath concept in stroke rehabilitation what is the evidence?” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. e89–e97, 2009.
- P. Davies, Steps to Follow: The Comprehensive Treatment of Patients with Hemiplegia, Springer, 2nd edition, 2000.
- S. Chaudhuri and A. S. Aruin, “The effect of shoe lifts on static and dynamic postural control in individuals with hemiparesis,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 81, no. 11, pp. 1498–1503, 2000.
- C. H. Chen, K. H. Lin, T. W. Lu et al., “Immediate effect of lateral-wedged insole on stance and ambulation after stroke,” American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 48–55, 2010.
- M. C. Dault, M. de Haart, A. C. H. Geurts, I. M. P. Arts, and B. Nienhuis, “Effects of visual center of pressure feedback on postural control in young and elderly healthy adults and in stroke patients,” Human Movement Science, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 221–236, 2003.
- R. P. S. Van Peppen, M. Kortsmit, E. Lindeman, and G. Kwakkel, “Effects of visual feedback therapy on postural control in bilateral standing after stroke: a systematic review,” Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 3–9, 2006.
- A. S. Pollock, B. R. Durward, P. J. Rowe, et al., “What is balance?” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 402–406, 2000.
- D. Moher, A. Liberati, J. Tetzlaff, and D. G. Altman, “Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement,” British Medical Journal, vol. 339, no. 7716, pp. 332–336, 2009.
- S. Sanderson, I. D. Tatt, and J. P. T. Higgins, “Tools for assessing quality and susceptibility to bias in observational studies in epidemiology: a systematic review and annotated bibliography,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 666–676, 2007.
- E. von Elm, D. G. Altman, M. Egger, S. J. Pocock, P. C. Gøtzsche, and J. P. Vandenbroucke, “The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies,” The Lancet, vol. 370, no. 9596, pp. 1453–1457, 2007.
- J. P. Vandenbroucke, E. Von Elm, D. G. Altman et al., “Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration,” Epidemiology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 805–835, 2007.
- R. H. H. Groenwold, A. M. M. Van Deursen, A. W. Hoes, and E. Hak, “Poor Quality of Reporting Confounding Bias in Observational Intervention Studies: a systematic review,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 746–751, 2008.
- M. Roerdink, A. C. H. Geurts, M. De Haart, and P. J. Beek, “On the relative contribution of the paretic leg to the control of posture after stroke,” Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 267–274, 2009.
- D. S. Marigold and J. J. Eng, “The relationship of asymmetric weight-bearing with postural sway and visual reliance in stroke,” Gait and Posture, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 249–255, 2006.
- D. S. Marigold, J. J. Eng, and I. J. Timothy, “Modulation of ankle muscle postural reflexes in stroke: influence of weight-bearing load,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 115, no. 12, pp. 2789–2797, 2004.
- L. C. Pereira, A. C. Botelho, and E. F. Martins, “Relationships between body symmetry during weight-bearing and functional reach among chronic hemiparetic patients,” Revista Brasileira de Fisioterapia, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 259–266, 2010.
- S. H. Peurala, P. Könönen, K. Pitkänen, J. Sivenius, and I. M. Tarkka, “Postural instability in patients with chronic stroke,” Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 101–108, 2007.
- E. H. F. van Asseldonk, J. H. Buurke, B. R. Bloem et al., “Disentangling the contribution of the paretic and non-paretic ankle to balance control in stroke patients,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 201, no. 2, pp. 441–451, 2006.
- A. Mansfield, G. Mochizuki, E. L. Inness, and W. E. McIlroy, “Clinical correlates of between-limb synchronization of standing balance control and falls during inpatient stroke rehabilitation,” Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 627–635, 2012.
- A. C. H. Geurts, B. Nienhuis, and T. W. Mulder, “Intrasubject variability of selected force-platform parameters in the quantification of postural control,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 74, no. 11, pp. 1144–1150, 1993.
- D. Lafond, H. Corriveau, R. Hébert, and F. Prince, “Intrasession reliability of center of pressure measures of postural steadiness in healthy elderly people,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 896–901, 2004.
- L. C. Anker, V. Weerdesteyn, I. J. W. van Nes, B. Nienhuis, H. Straatman, and A. C. H. Geurts, “The relation between postural stability and weight distribution in healthy subjects,” Gait and Posture, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 471–477, 2008.
- D. Pérennou, “Postural disorders and spatial neglect in stroke patients: a strong association,” Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, vol. 24, no. 4-6, pp. 319–334, 2006.
- A. Mansfield, E. L. Inness, B. Lakhani, and W. E. McIlroy, “Determinants of limb preference for initiating compensatory stepping poststroke,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 1179–1184, 2012.
- N. Genthon, A. S. Gissot, J. Froger, P. Rougier, and D. Pérennou, “Posturography in patients with stroke: estimating the percentage of body weight on each foot from a single force platform,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 489–491, 2008.
- N. Genthon, P. Rougier, A. S. Gissot, J. Féroger, J. Pélissier, and D. Pérennou, “Contribution of each lower limb to upright standing in stroke patients,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1793–1799, 2008.