- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 715380, 7 pages
Stroke Care in Young Patients
1Stroke Unit, Neurology Department, Azienda Ospedaliera Sant'Anna Hospital, Via Ravona 1, 22020 San Fermo della Battaglia, Como, Italy
2Institute of Experimental Neurology (INSPE) and Stroke Unit, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, 20132 Milano, Italy
3Stroke Unit, Neurology Department, Azienda Ospedaliera di Desio e Vimercate, 20871 Vimercate, Italy
4Stroke Unit, Neurology Department, Azienda Ospedaliera Niguarda Cà Granda, 20162 Milan, Italy
5Stroke Unit, Neurology Department, Azienda Ospedaliera A. Manzoni, 23900 Lecco, Italy
6Stroke Unit, Neurology Department, Azienda Ospedaliera Ospedale San Carlo Borromeo, 20153 Milan, Italy
7Stroke Unit, Neurology Department, Azienda Ospedaliera San Gerardo, 20900 Monza, Italy
8Neurology Department, Azienda Ospedaliera di Lodi, 26900 Lodi, Italy
9Neurology Department, Azienda Ospedaliera di Busto Arsizio, 21052 Varese, Italy
10Neurology Department, Ospedale di Circolo e Fondazione Macchi, 21100 Varese, Italy
Received 18 September 2012; Revised 24 December 2012; Accepted 26 December 2012
Academic Editor: Alison E. Baird
Copyright © 2013 L. Tancredi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Marini, R. Totaro, F. de Santis, I. Ciancarelli, M. Baldassarre, and A. Carolei, “Stroke in young adults in the community-based L'Aquila registry: incidence and prognosis,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 52–56, 2001.
- J. Putaala, A. J. Metso, T. M. Metso et al., “Analysis of 1008 consecutive patients aged 15 to 49 with first-ever ischemic stroke the Helsinki young stroke registry,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 1195–1203, 2009.
- K. Nedeltchev, T. A. der Maur, D. Georgiadis et al., “Ischaemic stroke in young adults: predictors of outcome and recurrence,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 191–195, 2005.
- H. Naess, H. I. Nyland, L. Thomassen, J. Aarseth, and K. M. Myhr, “Long-term outcome of cerebral infarction in young adults,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 107–112, 2004.
- S. Meairs, N. Wahlgren, U. Dirnagl et al., “Stroke research priorities for the next decade—a representative view of the European scientific community,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 22, no. 2-3, pp. 75–82, 2006.
- D. Leys, “Ischemic strokes in young adults,” Revue de Medecine Interne, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 585–593, 2003.
- P. Cerrato, M. Grasso, D. Imperiale et al., “Stroke in young patients: etiopathogenesis and risk factors in different age classes,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 154–159, 2004.
- J. F. Varona, J. M. Guerra, F. Bermejo, J. A. Molina, and A. Gomez de La Cámara, “Causes of ischemic stroke in young adults, and evolution of the etiological diagnosis over the long term,” European Neurology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 212–218, 2007.
- Headache Classification Commitee of the International Headache Society, “The international classification of headache disorders. 2nd edition,” Cephalalgia, vol. 24, supplement 1, pp. 9–160, 2004.
- L. Candelise, M. Gattinoni, A. Bersano, G. Micieli, R. Sterzi, and A. Morabito, “Stroke-unit care for acute stroke patients: an observational follow-up study,” The Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9558, pp. 299–305, 2007.
- L. B. Goldstein, R. Adams, M. J. Alberts et al., “Primary prevention of ischemic stroke: a guideline from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Stroke Council: cosponsored by the Atherosclerotic Peripheral Vascular Disease Interdisciplinary Working Group; Cardiovascular Nursing Council; Clinical Cardiology Council; Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism Council; and the Quality of Care and Outcomes Research Interdisciplinary Working Group,” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 24, pp. e873–e923, 2006.
- J. Bamford, P. Sandercock, M. Dennis, J. Burn, and C. Warlow, “Classification and natural history of clinical identifiable subtypes of cerebral infarction,” The Lancet, vol. 337, no. 8756, pp. 1521–1526, 1991.
- H. P. Adams Jr., B. H. Bendixen, L. J. Kappelle et al., “Classification of subtype of acute ischemic stroke: definitions for use in a multicenter clinical trial. TOAST. Trial of Org 10172 in acute stroke treatment,” Stroke, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 1993.
- ALEE-AO, Atlante Lombardo Epidemiologico Economico dell’Attività Ospedaliera—Versione 5.1.
- R. X. You, J. J. McNeil, H. M. O'Malley, S. M. Davis, A. G. Thrift, and G. A. Donnan, “Risk factors for stroke due to cerebral infarction in young adults,” Stroke, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1913–1918, 1997.
- J. Rohr, S. Kittner, B. Feeser et al., “Traditional risk factors and ischemic stroke in young adults: the Baltimore-Washington cooperative young stroke study,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 603–607, 1996.
- J. Bogousslavsky and P. Pierre, “Ischemic stroke in patients under age 45,” Neurologic Clinics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 113–124, 1992.
- B. Piechowski-Jóżwiak and J. Bogousslavski, “Posterior circulation strokes,” Handbook of Clinical Neurology, vol. 93, pp. 537–558, 2009.
- J. Bogousslavsky and F. Regli, “Ischemic stroke in adults younger than 30 years of age. Cause and prognosis,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 479–482, 1987.
- E. Torbey and P. D. Thompson, “Patent foramen ovale: thromboembolic structure or incidental finding?” Connecticut Medicine, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 97–105, 2011.
- J. C. Wagner and H. L. Lutsep, “Thrombolysis in young adults,” Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 133–136, 2005.
- J. Putaala, T. M. Metso, A. J. Metso et al., “Thrombolysis in young adults with ischemic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 2085–2091, 2009.
- D. Toni, N. Ahmed, A. Anzini et al., “Intravenous thrombolysis in young stroke patients,” Neurology, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 880–887, 2012.
- A. Kansara, S. Chaturvedi, and P. Bhattacharya, “Thrombolysis and outcome of young stroke patients over the last decade: insights from the nationwide inpatient sample,” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. In press.
- B. Norrving, “Long-term prognosis after lacunar infarction,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 238–245, 2003.