- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 727842, 7 pages
Advances in Our Understanding of “Resistance” to Antiplatelet Agents for Prevention of Ischemic Stroke
1Hauenstein Neuroscience Center, 220 Cherry Street SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, USA
2Department of Translational Science and Molecular Medicine, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, USA
Received 19 March 2013; Accepted 27 May 2013
Academic Editor: Majaz Moonis
Copyright © 2013 Philip B. Gorelick and Muhammad U. Farooq. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Weisman and C. S. Rabe, “Aspirin: new tricks for an old drug,” Primary Care Reports, vol. 4, pp. 239–246, 1998.
- P. B. Gorelick, “North american perspective of antiplatelet agents,” in Advances in Neurology: Ischemic Stroke, H. J. M. Barnett, J. Bogousslavsky, and H. Meldrum, Eds., vol. 92, pp. 281–291, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2003.
- L. L. Craven, “Prevention of coronary and cerebral thrombosis,” Mississippi Valley Medical Journal, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 213–215, 1956.
- W. E. Fields and N. A. Lemak, A History of Stroke. Its Recognition and Treatment, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- J. R. Vane, “Inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis as a mechanism of action for aspirin-like drugs,” Nature, vol. 231, no. 25, pp. 232–235, 1971.
- M.-G. Bousser, P. Amarenco, A. Chamorro, et al., “Terutroban versus aspirin in patients with cerebral ischaemic events (PERFORM): a randomised, double-blind, parallel-group trial,” The Lancet, vol. 377, no. 9782, pp. 2013–2022, 2011.
- E. C. Jauch, J. L. Saver, H. P. Adams, et al., “Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 44, pp. 870–947, 2013.
- G. H. Guyatt, E. A. Akl, M. Crowther, D. D. Gutterman, and H. J. Schenemann, “Executive summary: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: american college of chest physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines,” Chest, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 7S–47S, 2012.
- K. L. Furie, S. E. Kasner, R. J. Adams, et al., “Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke or transient ischemic attack,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 227–276, 2011.
- L. B. Goldstein, C. D. Bushnell, R. J. Adams, et al., “Guidelines for the primary prevention of stroke,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 517–584, 2011.
- Antithrombotic Trialists' (ATT) Collaboration, “Aspirin in the primary and secondary prevention of vascular disease: collaborative meta-analysis of individual participant data from randomised trials,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9678, pp. 1849–1860, 2009.
- S. R. Seshasai, S. Wijesuriya, R. Sivakumaran, et al., “Effect of aspirin on vascular and nonvascular outcomes: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 172, no. 3, pp. 209–216, 2012.
- M. U. Farooq and P. B. Gorelick, “Aspirin prophylaxis in people without prior cardiovascular disease does not lead to reductions in cardiovascular death or cancer mortality,” Evidence Based Medicine, vol. 18, article e14, 2013.
- P. M. Rothwell, J. F. Price, F. G. R. Fowkes, et al., “Short-term effects of daily aspirin on cancer incidence, mortality, and non-vascular death: analysis of the time course of risks and benefits in 51 randomised controlled trials,” The Lancet, vol. 379, no. 9826, pp. 1602–1612, 2012.
- C. Patrono, L. A. García Rodríguez, R. Landolfi, and C. Baigent, “Low-dose aspirin for the prevention of atherothrombosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 353, no. 22, pp. 2373–2383, 2005.
- G. Davi and C. Patrono, “Platelet activation and atherothrombosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 24, pp. 2482–2494, 2007.
- G. J. Hankey and J. W. Eikelboom, “Aspirin resistance,” The Lancet, vol. 367, no. 9510, pp. 606–617, 2006.
- C. Patrono and B. Rocca, “Drug insight: aspirin resistance-fact or fashion?” Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 42–50, 2007.
- D. R. Holmes Jr., G. J. Dehmer, S. Kaul, D. Leifer, P. T. O'Gara, and C. M. Stein, “ACCF/AHA clopidogrel clinical alert: approaches to the FDA boxed warning: a report of the american college of cardiology foundation task force on clinical expert consensus documents and the american heart association endorsed by the society for cardiovascular angiography and interventions and the society of thoracic surgeons,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 321–341, 2010.
- T. Simon, C. Verstuyft, M. Mary-Krause, et al., “French registry of acute ST elevation and non-ST elevation myocardial infarction (FAST-MI) investigators. genetic determinants of response to clopidogrel and cardiovascular events,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 4, pp. 363–375, 2009.
- F. D. Testai and P. B. Gorelick, “Antiplatelet drugs. Does it make a difference which one you use?” in Controversies in Stroke Care, M. Moonis and M. V. Padma Srivastava, Eds., pp. 140–157, Byword Books, Manipal, India, 2012.
- G. Krasopoulos, S. J. Brister, W. S. Beattie, and M. R. Buchanan, “Aspirin “resistance” and risk of cardiovascular morbidity: systematic review and meta-analysis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 336, no. 7637, pp. 195–198, 2008.
- J. D. Snoep, M. M. C. Hovens, J. C. J. Eikenboom, J. G. Van Der Bom, and M. V. Huisman, “Association of laboratory-defined aspirin resistance with a higher risk of recurrent cardiovascular events: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 167, no. 15, pp. 1593–1599, 2007.
- B. Ozben, A. M. Tanrikulu, T. Ozben, and O. Caymaz, “Aspirin resistance in hypertensive patients,” Journal of Clinical Hypertension, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 714–720, 2010.
- D. L. Bhatt, B. L. Cryer, C. F. Contant, et al., “Clopidogrel with or without omeprazole in coronary artery disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 20, pp. 1909–1917, 2010.
- C. P. M. Hayward, P. Harrison, M. Cattaneo, T. L. Ortel, and A. K. Rao, “Platelet function analyzer (PFA)-100 closure time in the evaluation of platelet disorders and platelet function,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 312–319, 2006.
- P. Harrison, H. Segal, K. Blasbery, C. Furtado, L. Silver, and P. M. Rothwell, “Screening for aspirin responsiveness after transient ischemic attack and stroke: comparison of 2 point-of-care platelet function tests with optical aggregometry,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1001–1005, 2005.
- R. Gonzalez-Conejero, J. Rivera, J. Corral, C. Acuna, J. A. Guerrero, and V. Vicente, “Biological assessment of aspirin efficacy on healthy individuals: heterogeneous response or aspirin failure?” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 276–280, 2005.
- P. M. W. Bath, “Antiplatelet activity should be measured routinely: no,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 2273–2274, 2009.
- G. H. R. Rao, “Need for a point-of-care assay for monitoring antiplatelet and antithrombotic therapies,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 2271–2272, 2009.
- S. M. Davis and G. A. Donnan, “Antiplatelet activity,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 6, p. 2275, 2009.
- J. W. Eikelboom, J. Emery, and G. J. Hankey, “The use of platelet function assays may help to determine appropriate antiplatelet treatment options in a patient with recurrent stroke on baby aspirin: against,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 2398–2399, 2010.
- M. J. Alberts, “Platelet function testing for aspirin resistance is reasonable to do: yes!,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 2400–2401, 2010.
- M. H. Selim and C. A. Molina, “Platelet function assays in stroke management: more study is needed,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 2396–2397, 2010.
- C. Patrono and G. J. Roth, “Aspirin in ischemic cerebrovascular disease: how strong is the case for a different dosing regimen?” Stroke, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 756–760, 1996.
- F. Catella-Lawson, M. P. Reilly, S. C. Kapoor, et al., “Cyclooxygenase inhibitors and the antiplatelet effects of aspirin,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 25, pp. 1809–1817, 2001.
- T. Grosser, S. Fries, J. A. Lawson, S. C. Kapoor, G. R. Grant, and F. A. Fitzgerald, “Drug resistance and pseudoresistance: an unintended consequence of enteric-coated aspirin,” Circulation, 2012.
- D. L. Bhatt, “Intensifying platelet inhibition-navigating between scylla and charybdis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 20, pp. 2078–2081, 2007.
- G. Parodi, R. Marcucci, R. Valenti, et al., “High residual platelet reactivity after clopidogrel loading and long-term cardiovascular events among patients with acute coronary syndromes undergoing PCI,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 306, no. 11, pp. 1215–1223, 2011.
- J. L. Mega, W. Hochholzer, A. L. Frelinger, et al., “Dosing clopidogrel based on CYP2C19 genotype and the effect on platelet reactivity in patients with stable cardiovascular disease,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 306, no. 20, pp. 2221–2228, 2011.
- J.-P. Collet, T. Cuisset, G. Range, et al., “Bedside monitoring to adjust antiplatelet therapy for coronary stenting,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 367, pp. 2100–2109, 2012.
- P. A. Grubel, D. Erlinge, E. M. Ohman, et al., “Platelet function during extended prasugrel and clopidogrel therapy for patients with ACS treated without revascularization: the TRILOGY ACS platelet function substudy,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 308, no. 17, pp. 1785–1794, 2012.
- M. V. Holmes, P. Perel, T. Shah, A. D. Hingorani, and J. P. Casas, “CYP2C19 genotype, clopidogrel metabolism, platelet function, and cardiovascular events: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 306, no. 24, pp. 2704–2714, 2011.
- S. E. Nissen, “Pharmacogenomics and clopidogrel: irrational exuberance?” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 306, no. 24, pp. 2727–2728, 2011.
- M. J. Price, “Measured drug effect and cardiovascular outcomes in patients receiving platelet P2Y12 receptor antagonists. clarifying the time and place for intensive inhibition,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 308, pp. 1806–1808, 2012.
- P. A. Gurbel, T. D. Nolin, and U. S. Tantry, “Clopidogrel efficacy and cigarette smoking status,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, pp. 2495–2496, 2012.
- K. J. Swiger, O. Yousuf, K. P. Bliden, U. S. Tantry, and P. A. Gurbel, “Cigarette smoking and clopidogrel interaction,” Current Cardiology Reports, vol. 15, article 361, 2013.
- U. S. Tantry, Y. H. Jeong, E. P. Navarese, J. Kubica, and P. A. Gurbel, “Influence of genetic polymorphisms on platelet function, response to antiplatelet drugs and clinical outcomes in patients with coronary artery disease,” Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy, vol. 11, pp. 227–262, 2013.
- A. M. Algra, “Towards a global brief on aspirin,” The Lancet, vol. 381, pp. 1344–1345, 2013.
- K. Mansour, A. T. Taher, K. M. Musallam, and S. Alam, “Aspirin resistance,” Advances in Hematology, vol. 2009, Article ID 937352, 10 pages, 2009.