- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 840265, 5 pages
Detection of Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation in Stroke/Tia Patients
1Department of Neurology, University of Massachusetts, USA
2Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital, USA
Received 25 January 2013; Accepted 4 March 2013
Academic Editor: V. Padma
Copyright © 2013 Muhib Khan and Daniel J. Miller. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. L. Kolominsky-Rabas, M. Weber, O. Gefeller, B. Neundoerfer, and P. U. Heuschmann, “Epidemiology of ischemic stroke subtypes according to TOAST criteria: incidence, recurrence, and long-term survival in ischemic stroke subtypes: a population-based study,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2735–2740, 2001.
- R. C. S. Seet, P. A. Friedman, and A. A. Rabinstein, “Prolonged rhythm monitoring for the detection of occult paroxysmal atrial fibrillation in ischemic stroke of unknown cause,” Circulation, vol. 124, no. 4, pp. 477–486, 2011.
- T. Rizos, A. Wagner, E. Jenetzky et al., “Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation is more prevalent than persistent atrial fibrillation in acute stroke and transient ischemic attack patients,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 276–282, 2011.
- R. G. Hart, L. A. Pearce, and M. I. Aguilar, “Meta-analysis: antithrombotic therapy to prevent stroke in patients who have nonvalvular atrial fibrillation,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 146, no. 12, pp. 857–867, 2007.
- H. P. Adams Jr., G. del Zoppo, M. J. Alberts, et al., “Guidelines for the early management of adults with ischemic stroke: a guideline from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Stroke Council, Clinical Cardiology Council, Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention Council, and the Atherosclerotic Peripheral Vascular Disease and Quality of Care Outcomes in Research Interdisciplinary Working Groups: the American Academy of Neurology affirms the value of this guideline as an educational tool for neurologists,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 20, pp. e478–e534, 2007.
- J. C. Barthélémy, S. Féasson-Gérard, P. Garnier et al., “Automatic cardiac event recorders reveal paroxysmal atrial fibrillation after unexplained strokes or transient ischemic attacks,” Annals of Noninvasive Electrocardiology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 194–199, 2003.
- L. A. Sposato, F. R. Klein, A. Jáuregui et al., “Newly diagnosed atrial fibrillation after acute ischemic stroke and transient ischemic attack: importance of immediate and prolonged continuous cardiac monitoring,” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 210–216, 2012.
- R. Stahrenberg, M. Weber-Krüger, J. Seegers et al., “Enhanced detection of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation by early and prolonged continuous holter monitoring in patients with cerebral ischemia presenting in sinus rhythm,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 2884–2888, 2010.
- D. Jabaudon, J. Sztajzel, K. Sievert, T. Landis, and R. Sztajzel, “Usefulness of ambulatory 7-day ECG monitoring for the detection of atrial fibrillation and flutter after acute stroke and transient ischemic attack,” Stroke, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1647–1651, 2004.
- A. H. Tayal, M. Tian, K. M. Kelly et al., “Atrial fibrillation detected by mobile cardiac outpatient telemetry in cryptogenic TIA or stroke,” Neurology, vol. 71, no. 21, pp. 1696–1701, 2008.
- D. J. Miller, M. A. Khan, L. R. Schultz et al., “Outpatient cardiac telemetry detects a high rate of atrial fibrillation in cryptogenic stroke,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 324, no. 1-2, pp. 57–61, 2013.
- A. Bhatt, A. Majid, A. Razak, M. Kassab, S. Hussain, and A. Safdar, “Predictors of occult paroxysmal atrial fibrillation in cryptogenic strokes detected by long-term noninvasive cardiac monitoring,” Stroke Research and Treatment, vol. 2011, Article ID 172074, 5 pages, 2011.
- L. Elijovich, S. A. Josephson, G. L. Fung, and W. S. Smith, “Intermittent atrial fibrillation may account for a large proportion of otherwise cryptogenic stroke: a study of 30-day cardiac event monitors,” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 185–189, 2009.
- N. Gaillard, S. Deltour, B. Vilotijevic et al., “Detection of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation with transtelephonic EKG in TIA or stroke patients,” Neurology, vol. 74, no. 21, pp. 1666–1670, 2010.
- A. C. Flint, N. M. Banki, X. Ren, V. A. Rao, and A. S. Go, “Detection of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation by 30-day event monitoring in cryptogenic ischemic stroke: the Stroke and Monitoring for PAF in Real Time (SMART) Registry,” Stroke, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 2788–2790, 2012.
- P. D. Ziegler, T. V. Glotzer, E. G. Daoud et al., “Incidence of newly detected atrial arrhythmias via implantable devices in patients with a history of thromboembolic events,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 256–260, 2010.
- V. Fuster, L. E. Rydén, D. S. Cannom et al., “ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with Atrial Fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the 2001 Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation): developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association and the Heart Rhythm Society,” Circulation, vol. 114, no. 7, pp. e257–e354, 2006.
- W. M. Pollak, J. D. Simmons, A. Interian Jr. et al., “Clinical utility of intraatrial pacemaker stored electrograms to diagnose atrial fibrillation and flutter,” Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology, vol. 24, no. 4 I, pp. 424–429, 2001.
- C. Eitel, D. Husser, G. Hindricks et al., “Performance of an implantable automatic atrial fibrillation detection device: impact of software adjustments and relevance of manual episode analysis,” Europace, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 480–485, 2011.
- Z. Binici, T. Intzilakis, O. W. Nielsen, L. Køber, and A. Sajadieh, “Excessive supraventricular ectopic activity and increased risk of atrial fibrillation and stroke,” Circulation, vol. 121, no. 17, pp. 1904–1911, 2010.
- T. V. Glotzer, E. G. Daoud, D. G. Wyse et al., “The relationship between daily atrial tachyarrhythmia burden from implantable device diagnostics and stroke risk: the TRENDS study,” Circulation, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 474–480, 2009.
- J. S. Healey, S. J. Connolly, M. R. Gold et al., “Subclinical atrial fibrillation and the risk of stroke,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 2, pp. 120–129, 2012.
- A. M. Sinha, H. C. Diener, C. A. Morillo et al., “Cryptogenic Stroke and underlying Atrial Fibrillation (CRYSTAL AF): design and rationale,” American Heart Journal, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 36.e1–41.e1, 2010.
- J. Ip, A. L. Waldo, G. Y. H. Lip et al., “Multicenter randomized study of anticoagulation guided by remote rhythm monitoring in patients with implantable cardioverter-defibrillator and CRT-D devices: rationale, design, and clinical characteristics of the initially enrolled cohort. The IMPACT study,” American Heart Journal, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 364.e1–370.e1, 2009.
- D. Schwartzman, D. P. Blagev, M. L. Brown, and R. Mehra, “Electrocardiographic events preceding onset of atrial fibrillation: insights gained using an implantable loop recorder,” Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 243–246, 2006.
- R. Stahrenberg, F. Edelmann, B. Haase et al., “Transthoracic echocardiography to rule out paroxysmal atrial fibrillation as a cause of stroke or transient ischemic attack,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 3643–3645, 2011.
- D. Wallmann, D. Tüller, K. Wustmann et al., “Frequent atrial premature beats predict paroxysmal atrial fibrillation in stroke patients: an opportunity for a new diagnostic strategy,” Stroke, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 2292–2294, 2007.
- S. Malik, W. J. Hicks, L. Schultz et al., “Development of a scoring system for atrial fibrillation in acute stroke and transient ischemic attack patients: the LADS scoring system,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 301, no. 1-2, pp. 27–30, 2011.
- L. Suissa, D. Bertora, S. Lachaud, and M. H. Mahagne, “Score for the targeting of atrial fibrillation (STAF): a new approach to the detection of atrial fibrillation in the secondary prevention of ischemic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 2866–2868, 2009.
- E. I. Charitos, U. Stierle, P. D. Ziegler et al., “A comprehensive evaluation of rhythm monitoring strategies for the detection of atrial fibrillation recurrence: insights from 647 continuously monitored patients and implications for monitoring after therapeutic interventions,” Circulation, vol. 126, no. 7, pp. 806–814, 2012.
- G. Hindricks, E. Pokushalov, L. Urban et al., “Performance of a new leadless implantable cardiac monitor in detecting and quantifying atrial fibrillation results of the XPECT trial,” Circulation, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 141–147, 2010.
- K. G. Haeusler, L. Koch, J. Ueberreiter et al., “Safety and reliability of the insertable Reveal XT recorder in patients undergoing 3 Tesla brain magnetic resonance imaging,” Heart Rhythm, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 373–376, 2011.
- H. Kamel, B. B. Navi, L. Elijovich et al., “Pilot randomized trial of outpatient cardiac monitoring after cryptogenic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 528–530, 2013.
- D. D. McManus, J. Lee, O. Maitas et al., “A novel application for the detection of an irregular pulse using an iPhone 4S in patients with atrial fibrillation,” Heart Rhythm, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 315–319, 2013.
- P. T. Ellinor, K. L. Lunetta, C. M. Albert, et al., “Meta-analysis identifies six new susceptibility loci for atrial fibrillation,” Nature Genetics, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 670–675, 2012.
- J. G. Smith, C. Newton-Cheh, P. Almgren, O. Melander, and P. G. Platonov, “Genetic polymorphisms for estimating risk of atrial fibrillation in the general population: a prospective study,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 172, no. 9, pp. 742–744, 2012.