- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 862978, 11 pages
Depression after Stroke and Risk of Mortality: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
1Department of Surgery and Interdisciplinary Medicine, University of Milano-Bicocca, 20900 Monza, Italy
2Stroke Unit, Neurology Department, Azienda Ospedaliera Niguarda Cà Granda, 20162 Milan, Italy
3Department of Mental Health, Azienda Ospedaliera San Gerardo, 20900 Monza, Italy
4Department of Mental Health Sciences, University College London, London W1W 7EJ, UK
Received 12 October 2012; Revised 21 December 2012; Accepted 25 January 2013
Academic Editor: Caroline L. Watkins
Copyright © 2013 Francesco Bartoli et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [25 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Julian Hellmann-Regen, Dominique Piber, Kim Hinkelmann, Stefan M. Gold, Christoph Heesen, Carsten Spitzer, and Matthias Endres, “Depressive syndromes in neurological disorders,” European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 263, pp. S123–S136, 2013.
- G Kronenberg, K Gertz, A Heinz, and M Endres, “Of mice and men: modelling post-stroke depression experimentally,” British Journal of Pharmacology, 2014.
- Bihan Tang, Xu Liu, Yuan Liu, Chen Xue, and Lulu Zhang, “A meta-analysis of risk factors for depression in adults and children after natural disasters,” Bmc Public Health, vol. 14, 2014.
- Le Peng, Xin Zhang, De-ying Kang, Xue-ting Liu, and Qi Hong, “Effectiveness and safety of Wuling capsule for post stroke depression: A systematic review,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 2014.
- Hui-Chuan Huang, Li-Kai Huang, Chaur-Jong Hu, Chien-Hung Chang, Hsin-Chien Lee, Nai-Fang Chi, Meei-Ling Shyu, and Hsiu-Ju Chang, “The mediating effect of psychological distress on functional dependence in stroke patients,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, 2014.
- Luis Ayerbe, Salma Ayis, Siobhan L. Crichton, Anthony G. Rudd, and Charles D. A. Wolfe, “Explanatory factors for the increased mortality of stroke patients with depression,” Neurology, vol. 83, no. 22, pp. 2007–2012, 2014.
- Francesco Bartoli, and Stefano Paolucci, “Association of depression and SSRIs with mortality after stroke,” Neurology, vol. 83, no. 22, pp. 1998–1999, 2014.
- Michael J. McCarthy, Heidi J. Sucharew, Kathleen Alwell, Charles J. Moomaw, Daniel Woo, Matthew L. Flaherty, Pooja Khatri, Simona Ferioli, Opeolu Adeoye, Dawn O. Kleindorfer, and Brett M. Kissela, “Age, subjective stress, and depression after ischemic stroke,” Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 2015.
- Md. Ariful Islam, Anisur Rahman, Mohammad Abdul Aleem, and Sheikh Mohammed Shariful Islam, “Prevalence and Associated Factors of Depression Among Post-Stroke Patients in Bangladesh,” International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, 2015.
- Janne Kaergaard Mortensen, Soren Paaske Johnsen, Heidi Larsson, and Grethe Andersen, “Early Antidepressant Treatment and All-Cause 30-Day Mortality in Patients with Ischemic Stroke,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 40, no. 1-2, pp. 81–90, 2015.
- Rahul R. Karamchandani, Farhaan Vahidy, Suhas Bajgur, Kim Yen Thi Vu, H. Alex Choi, Robert Kirk Hamilton, Mohammad H. Rahbar, and Sean I. Savitz, “Early Depression Screening Is Feasible in Hospitalized Stroke Patients,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 6, 2015.
- Richard A. Burns, Peter Butterworth, Colette Browning, Julie Byles, Mary Luszcz, Paul Mitchell, Jonathan Shaw, and Kaarin J. Anstey, “Examination of the association between mental health, morbidity, and mortality in late life: findings from longitudinal community surveys,” International Psychogeriatrics, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 739–746, 2015.
- Janneke M. de Man-van Ginkel, Thora B. Hafsteinsdottir, Eline Lindeman, Mirjam I. Geerlings, Diederick E. Grobbee, and Marieke J. Schuurmans, “Clinical Manifestation of Depression after Stroke: Is It Different from Depression in Other Patient Populations?,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 12, 2015.
- Ioan Humphreys, Shirley Thomas, Ceri Phillips, and Nadina Lincoln, “Cost analysis of the Communication and Low Mood (CALM) randomised trial of behavioural therapy for stroke patients with aphasia,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 30–41, 2015.
- Norio Sugawara, Norifumi Metoki, Joji Hagii, Shin Saito, Hiroshi Shiroto, Tetsu Tomita, Minoru Yasujima, Ken Okumura, and Norio Yasui-Furukori, “Effect of depressive symptoms on the length of hospital stay among patients hospitalized for acute stroke in Japan,” Neuropsychiatric Disease And Treatment, vol. 11, pp. 2551–2556, 2015.
- Shirley A. Thomas, Elizabeth Coates, Roshan das Nair, Nadina B. Lincoln, Cindy Cooper, Rebecca Palmer, Stephen J. Walters, Nicholas R. Latimer, Timothy J. England, Laura Mandefield, Timothy Chater, Patrick Callaghan, and Avril E. R. Drummond, “Behavioural Activation Therapy for Depression after Stroke (BEADS): a study protocol for a feasibility randomised controlled pilot trial of a psychological intervention for post-stroke depression,” Pilot and Feasibility Studies, vol. 2, no. 1, 2016.
- Natalia Martín-María, Francisco Félix Caballero, Beatriz Olaya, Fernando Rodríguez-Artalejo, Josep Maria Haro, Marta Miret, and José Luis Ayuso-Mateos, “Positive Affect Is Inversely Associated with Mortality in Individuals without Depression,” Frontiers in Psychology, vol. 7, 2016.
- Elles Douven, Syenna H. J. Schievink, Frans R. J. Verhey, Robert J. van Oostenbrugge, Pauline Aalten, Julie Staals, and Sebastian Kohler, “The Cognition and Affect after Stroke - a Prospective Evaluation of Risks (CASPER) study: rationale and design,” Bmc Neurology, vol. 16, 2016.
- Yang-Kun Chen, Jian-Feng Qu, Wei-Min Xiao, Wan-Yi Li, Wei Li, Xue-Wen Fang, Han-Yu Weng, Yong-Lin Liu, Gen-Pei Luo, Gabor S. Ungvari, and Yu-Tao Xiang, “Intracranial Atherosclerosis and Poststroke Depression in Chinese Patients with Ischemic Stroke,” Journal Of Stroke & Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 998–1004, 2016.
- Misook L. Chung, Tamilyn Bakas, Laura D. Plue, and Linda S. Williams, “Effects of Self-esteem, Optimism, and Perceived Control on Depressive Symptoms in Stroke Survivor-Spouse Dyads,” Journal Of Cardiovascular Nursing, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. E8–E16, 2016.
- Roberta Ferreira de Mello, Itamar de Souza Santos, Airlane Pereira Alencar, Isabela Martins Bensenor, Paulo Andrade Lotufo, and Alessandra Carvalho Goulart, “Major Depression as a Predictor of Poor Long-Term Survival in a Brazilian Stroke Cohort (Study of Stroke Mortality and Morbidity in Adults) EMMA study,” Journal Of Stroke & Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 618–625, 2016.
- Mohamed M. Ghoneim, and Michael W. O’Hara, “Depression and postoperative complications: an overview,” BMC Surgery, vol. 16, no. 1, 2016.
- Suzanne Hoi Shan Lo, Anne Marie Chang, and Janita Pak Chun Chau, “Translation and Validation of a Chinese Version of the Stroke Self-Efficacy Questionnaire in Community-Dwelling Stroke Survivors,” Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation, pp. 1–7, 2016.
- Mo-Yeol Kang, Young-Joong Kang, Woncheol Lee, and Jin-Ha Yoon, “Does long-term experience of nonstandard employment increase the incidence of depression in the elderly?,” Journal of Occupational Health, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 247–254, 2016.
- Qianwen Chai, Zhifang Yuan, Yi Jin, and Qing Zhang, “Factors influencing acceptance of disability among stroke patients in Tianjin, China: A cross-sectional study,” Neurorehabilitation, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 2016.