- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 946056, 9 pages
Early Poststroke Rehabilitation Using a Robotic Tilt-Table Stepper and Functional Electrical Stimulation
1Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, National Pirogov Centre of Therapy and Surgery, Nignaya Pervomaiskaya Street 70,
Moscow 105203, Russia
2Clinical Neurorehabilitation, Department of Neurology, University of Zurich, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Received 27 August 2012; Revised 28 January 2013; Accepted 3 March 2013
Academic Editor: Gerlinde Metz
Copyright © 2013 Alexey N. Kuznetsov et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Thorvaldsen, K. Asplund, K. Kuulasmaa, A. M. Rajakangas, and M. Schroll, “Stroke incidence, case fatality, and mortality in the WHO MONICA project,” Stroke, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 361–367, 1995.
- G. E. Gresham, T. E. Fitzpatrick, P. A. Wolf, P. M. McNamara, W. B. Kannel, and T. R. Dawber, “Residual disability in survivors of stroke: the Framingham study,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 293, no. 19, pp. 954–956, 1975.
- C. L. Flick, “Stroke rehabilitation. 4. Stroke outcome and psychosocial consequences,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 80, no. 5, supplement 1, pp. S21–S26, 1999.
- J. Bernhardt, H. Dewey, A. Thrift, J. Collier, and G. Donnan, “A very early rehabilitation trial for stroke (AVERT): phase II safety and feasibility,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 390–396, 2008.
- T. B. Cumming, A. G. Thrift, J. M. Collier et al., “Very early mobilization after stroke fast-tracks return to walking: further results from the phase II AVERT randomized controlled trial,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 153–158, 2011.
- J. L. Cheatwood, A. J. Emerick, and G. L. Kartje, “Neuronal plasticity and functional recovery after ischemic stroke,” Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 42–50, 2008.
- S. Masiero, A. Celia, G. Rosati, and M. Armani, “Robotic-assisted rehabilitation of the upper limb after acute stroke,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 142–149, 2007.
- A. Kralj, T. Bajd, R. Turk, J. Krajnik, and H. Benko, “Gait restoration in paraplegic patients: a feasibility demonstration using multichannel surface electrode FES,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 3–20, 1983.
- D. Guiraud, T. Stieglitz, K. P. Koch, J. L. Divoux, and P. Rabischong, “An implantable neuroprosthesis for standing and walking in paraplegia: 5-year patient follow-up,” Journal of Neural Engineering, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 268–275, 2006.
- W. Y. Lin, C. H. Kao, P. Y. Wang, S. P. Changlai, and S. J. Wang, “Serial changes in regional blood flow in the cerebrum and cerebellum of stroke patients imaged by 99Tcm-HMPAO SPET,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 208–211, 1996.
- A. M. Hughes, C. T. Freeman, J. H. Burridge, P. H. Chappell, P. L. Lewin, and E. Rogers, “Feasibility of iterative learning control mediated by functional electrical stimulation for reaching after stroke,” Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 559–568, 2009.
- T. Sathyapalan, M. M. Aye, and S. L. Atkin, “Postural hypotension,” The British Medical Journal, vol. 342, Article ID d3128, 2011.
- S. Hesse, “Treadmill training with partial body weight support after stroke: a review,” NeuroRehabilitation, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 55–65, 2008.
- S. Muraki, Y. Ehara, and M. Yamasaki, “Cardiovascular responses at the onset of passive leg cycle exercise in paraplegics with spinal cord injury,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 271–274, 2000.
- J. Raymond, G. M. Davis, and M. van der Plas, “Cardiovascular responses during submaximal electrical stimulation-induced leg cycling in individuals with paraplegia,” Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 92–98, 2002.
- M. S. Luther, C. Krewer, F. Müller, and E. Koenig, “Comparison of orthostatic reactions of patients still unconscious within the first three months of brain injury on a tilt table with and without integrated stepping. A prospective, randomized crossover pilot trial,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1034–1041, 2008.
- A. W. Wojner-Alexandrov, Z. Garami, O. Y. Chernyshev, and A. V. Alexandrov, “Heads down: flat positioning improves blood flow velocity in acute ischemic stroke,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 1354–1357, 2005.
- L. Elliott and L. Walker, “Rehabilitation interventions for vegetative and minimally conscious patients,” Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, vol. 15, no. 3-4, pp. 480–493, 2005.
- M. Könönen, J. T. Kuikka, M. Husso-Saastamoinen et al., “Increased perfusion in motor areas after constraint-induced movement therapy in chronic stroke: a single-photon emission computerized tomography study,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 1668–1674, 2005.
- G. Marchal, A. R. Young, and J. C. Baron, “Early postischemic hyperperfusion: pathophysiologic insights from positron emission tomography,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 467–482, 1999.
- L. Morfis, R. S. Schwartz, R. Poulos, and L. G. Howes, “Blood pressure changes in acute cerebral infarction and hemorrhage,” Stroke, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1401–1405, 1997.