- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Science and Technology of Nuclear Installations
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 687494, 22 pages
CFD for Subcooled Flow Boiling: Parametric Variations
Institute of Fluid Dynamics, Helmholtz-Center Dresden-Rossendorf, P.O. Box 510119, 01314 Dresden, Germany
Received 9 July 2012; Accepted 22 October 2012
Academic Editor: Yassin Hassan
Copyright © 2013 Roland Rzehak and Eckhard Krepper. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. A. Drew and S. L. Passman, Theory of Multicomponent Fluids, Springer, 1998.
- G. H. Yeoh and J. Y. Tu, Computational Techniques for Multiphase Flows—Basics and Applications, Elsevier Science and Technology, 2010.
- M. Ishii and T. Hibiki, Thermo-Fluid Dynamics of Two-Phase Flow, Springer, 2nd edition, 2011.
- N. Kurul and M. Z. Podowski, “Multidimensional effects in forced convection subcooled boiling,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Heat Transfer Conference, Jerusalem, Israel, 1990.
- N. Kurul and M. Podowski, “On the modeling of multidimensional effects in boiling channels ANS,” in Proceedings of the 27th National Heat Transfer Conference, Minneapolis, Minn, USA, 1991.
- E. Krepper, B. Končar, and Y. Egorov, “CFD modelling of subcooled boiling-concept, validation and application to fuel assembly design,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 237, no. 7, pp. 716–731, 2007.
- G. G. Bartolomej and V. M. Chanturiya, “Experimental study of true void fraction when boiling subcooled water in vertical tubes,” Thermal Engineering, vol. 14, pp. 123–128, 1967.
- E. Manon, Contribution à l’analyse et à la modélisation locale des écoulements boillants sous-saturés dans les conditions des Réacteurs à Eau sous Pression [Ph.D. thesis], Ecole Centrale Paris, 2000.
- J. Garnier, E. Manon, and G. Cubizolles, “Local measurements on flow boiling of refrigerant 12 in a vertical tube,” Multiphase Science and Technology, vol. 13, no. 1-2, pp. 1–111, 2001.
- E. Krepper and R. Rzehak, “CFD for subcooled flow boiling: simulation of DEBORA experiments,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 241, pp. 3851–3866, 2011.
- E. Krepper, R. Rzehak, C. Lifante, and T. Frank, “CFD for subcooled flow boiling: coupling wall boiling and population balance models,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 255, pp. 330–346, 2013.
- W. Yao and C. Morel, “Prediction of parameters distribution of upward boiling two-phase flow with two-fluid models,” in proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering (ICONE '10), pp. 801–808, Arlington, Va, USA, April 2002.
- W. Yao and C. Morel, “Volumetric interfacial area prediction in upward bubbly two-phase flow,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 307–328, 2004.
- M. Bcucker, A. Guelfi, S. Mimouni, P. Péturaud, D. Bestion, and E. Hervieu, “Towards the prediction of local thermal-hydraulics in real PWR core conditions using neptune_CFD software,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on Modeling and Measurements of Two-Phase Flows and Heat Transfer in Nuclear Fuel Assemblies, pp. 1784–1793, Stockholm, Sweden, October 2006.
- F. R. Menter, “Two-equation eddy-viscosity turbulence models for engineering applications,” AIAA journal, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1598–1605, 1994.
- F. R. Menter, “Review of the shear-stress transport turbulence model experience from an industrial perspective,” International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 305–316, 2009.
- Y. Sato, M. Sadatomi, and K. Sekoguchi, “Momentum and heat transfer in two-phase bubble flow-I. Theory,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 167–177, 1981.
- M. S. Politano, P. M. Carrica, and J. Converti, “A model for turbulent polydisperse two-phase flow in vertical channels,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 1153–1182, 2003.
- T. Wintterle, Development of a numerical boundary condition for the simulation of nucleate boiling at heated walls [Diploma thesis], University Stuttgart, 2004, IKE-8-D-014.
- B. A. Kader, “Temperature and concentration profiles in fully turbulent boundary layers,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1541–1544, 1981.
- H. C. Ünal, “Maximum bubble diameter, maximum bubble-growth time and bubble-growth rate during the subcooled nucleate flow boiling of water up to 17.7 MN/m2,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 643–649, 1976.
- R. H. S. Winterton, “Flow boiling: prediction of bubble departure,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1422–1424, 1984.
- L. Z. Zeng, J. F. Klausner, D. M. Bernhard, and R. Mei, “A unified model for the prediction of bubble detachment diameters in boiling systems-II. Flow boiling,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 2271–2279, 1993.
- S. Kandlikar, V. Mizo, and M. Cartwright, “Investigation of bubble departure mechanism in subcooled flow boiling of water using high-speed photography,” in Proceedings of the Convective Flow Boiling International Conference, April 1995.
- J. F. Klausner, R. Mei, and L. Z. Zeng, “Predicting stochastic features of vapor bubble detachment in flow boiling,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 40, no. 15, pp. 3547–3552, 1997.
- R. Situ, T. Hibiki, M. Ishii, and M. Mori, “Bubble lift-off size in forced convective subcooled boiling flow,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 48, no. 25-26, pp. 5536–5548, 2005.
- N. Basu, G. R. Warrier, and V. K. Dhir, “Wall heat flux partitioning during subcooled flow boiling: part 1—model development,” Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 131–140, 2005.
- P. Griffith and J. Wallis, “The role of surface conditions in nucleate boiling,” Chemical Engineering Progress Symposium Series, 1960.
- K. T. Hong, H. Imadojemu, and R. L. Webb, “Effects of oxidation and surface roughness on contact angle,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 279–285, 1994.
- V. I. Tolubinsky and D. M. Kostanchuk, “Vapour bubbles growth rate and heat transfer intensity at subcooled water boiling, Heat Transfer 1970,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Heat Transfer Conference, vol. 5, no. B-2. 8, 1970.
- N. I. Kolev, “Uniqueness of the elementary physics driving heterogeneous nucleate boiling and flashing,” Nuclear Engineering and Technology, vol. 38, p. 175, 2006.
- S. F. Jones, G. M. Evans, and K. P. Galvin, “Bubble nucleation from gas cavities—a review,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 27–50, 1999.
- G. Mitrovic and K. Stephan, “Gleichgewichtsradien von Dampfblasen und Flüssigkeitstropfen,” Wärme-Und Stoffübertragung, vol. 13, p. 171, 1980.
- C. Y. Han and P. Griffith, “The mechanism of heat transfer in nucleate pool boiling-Part I. Bubble initiaton, growth and departure,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 887–904, 1965.
- J. T. Cieslinski, J. Polewski, and J. A. Szymczyk, “Flow field around growing and rising vapour bubble by piv measurement,” Journal of Visualization, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 209–216, 2005.
- R. Cole, “A photographic study of pool boiling in the region of the critical heat flux,” in AIChE Journal, vol. 6, pp. 533–542, 1960.
- H. J. Ivey, “Relationships between bubble frequency, departure diameter and rise velocity in nucleate boiling,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 1023–1040, 1967.
- W. C. B. V. Ceumern-Lindenstjerna, “Bubble departure diameter and release frequencies during nucleate pool boiling of water and aqueous NaCl solutions,” in Heat Transfer in Boiling, E. Hahne and U. Grigull, Eds., Academic Press and Hemisphere, 1977.
- B. B. Mikic and W. M. Rohsenow, “A new correlation of pool-boiling data including the fact of heating surface characteristics,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 91, pp. 245–250, 1969.
- V. H. Del Valle and D. B. R. Kenning, “Subcooled flow boiling at high heat flux,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1907–1920, 1985.
- T. Frank, P. J. Zwart, E. Krepper, H. M. Prasser, and D. Lucas, “Validation of CFD models for mono- and polydisperse air-water two-phase flows in pipes,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 238, no. 3, pp. 647–659, 2008.
- E. Krepper, D. Lucas, T. Frank, H. M. Prasser, and P. J. Zwart, “The inhomogeneous MUSIG model for the simulation of polydispersed flows,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 238, no. 7, pp. 1690–1702, 2008.
- H. Luo and H. F. Svendsen, “Theoretical model for drop and bubble breakup in turbulent dispersions,” AIChE Journal, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1225–1233, 1996.
- M. J. Prince and H. W. Blanch, “Bubble coalescence and break-up in air-sparged bubble columns,” AIChE Journal, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 1485–1499, 1990.
- D. Lucas, T. Frank, C. Lifante, P. Zwart, and A. Burns, “Extension of the inhomogeneous MUSIG model for bubble condensation,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 241, pp. 4359–4367, 2011.
- W. E. Ranz and W. R. Marshall, “Evaporation from drops,” Chemical Engineering Progress, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 141–146, 1952.
- E. Krepper, M. Beyer, D. Lucas, and M. Schmidtke, “A population balance approach considering heat and mass transfer—Experiments and CFD simulations,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 241, no. 8, pp. 2889–2897, 2011.
- C. Lifante, F. Reiterer, Th. Frank, and A. Burns, “Coupling of wall boiling with discrete population balance model,” in Proceedings of the 14th International Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermalhydraulics (NURETH '14), pp. 25–30, Toronto, Canada, September 2011.
- A. A. Troshko and Y. A. Hassan, “A two-equation turbulence model of turbulent bubbly flows,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1965–2000, 2001.
- S. Lee, R. Lahey Jr., and O. Jones, “The prediction of two-phase flow turbulence and phase distribution using a k-e model,” Japanese Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 3, p. 335, 1989.
- D. Pfleger and S. Becker, “Modelling and simulation of the dynamic flow behaviour in a bubble column,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 1737–1747, 2001.
- F. Ramstorfer, B. Breitschädel, H. Steiner, and G. Brenn, “Modelling of the near-wall liquid velocity field in subcooled boiling flow,” in Proceedings of the ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference (HT '05), pp. 323–332, San Francisco, Calif, USA, July 2005.
- B. Končar and M. Borut, “Wall function approach for boiling two-phase flows,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 240, no. 11, pp. 3910–3918, 2010.
- F. M. White, Viscous Fluid Flow, McGraw-Hill, 1991.
- S. B. Pope, Turbulent Flow, 2000.
- M. Ishii and N. Zuber, “Drag coefficient and relative velocity in bubbly, droplet or particulate flows,” AIChE Journal, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 843–855, 1979.
- A. Tomiyama, H. Tamai, I. Zun, and S. Hosokawa, “Transverse migration of single bubbles in simple shear flows,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 1849–1858, 2002.
- A. D. Burns, T. Frank, I. Hamill, and J. M. Shi, “The Favre averaged drag model for turbulence dispersion in Eulerian multi-phase flows,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Multiphase Flow (ICMF '04), Yokohama, Japan, 2004.
- I. Zun, “The transverse migration of bubbles influenced by walls in vertical bubbly flow,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 583–588, 1980.
- M. Schmidtke, Investigation of the dynamics of fluid particles using the Volume of Fluid Method [Ph.D. thesis], University Paderborn, 2008.
- R. M. Wellek, A. K. Agrawal, and A. H. P. Skelland, “Shapes of liquid drops moving in liquid media,” AIChE Journal, vol. 12, pp. 854–860, 1966.
- D. Lucas, E. Krepper, and H. M. Prasser, “Use of models for lift, wall and turbulent dispersion forces acting on bubbles for poly-disperse flows,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 62, no. 15, pp. 4146–4157, 2007.
- D. Lucas and E. Krepper, “CFD models for polydispersed bubbly flows,” 2007, Forschungszentrum Dresden, FZD-486.
- ANSYS, ANSYS CFX-Solver Theory Guide, Release 13 ANSYS, 2010.