- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Science and Technology of Nuclear Installations
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 867561, 8 pages
Study of Thorium-Plutonium Fuel for Possible Operating Cycle Extension in PWRs
1Thor Energy AS, Sommerrogaten 13-15, 0255 Oslo, Norway
2Division of Nuclear Engineering, Department of Applied Physics, Chalmers University of Technology, 412 96 Gothenburg, Sweden
3Ringhals AB, 432 85 Väröbacka, Sweden
Received 14 October 2012; Accepted 11 January 2013
Academic Editor: Hangbok Choi
Copyright © 2013 Klara Insulander Björk et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. R. Trellue, C. G. Bathke, and P. Sadasivan, “Neutronics and material attractiveness for PWR thorium systems using monte carlo techniques,” Progress in Nuclear Energy, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 698–707, 2011.
- E. Fridman and S. Kliem, “Pu recycling in a full Th-MOX PWR core—part I: steady state analysis,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 241, no. 1, pp. 193–202, 2011.
- H. Tsige-Tamirat, “Neutronics assessment of the use of thorium fuels in current pressurized water reactors,” Progress in Nuclear Energy, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 717–721, 2011.
- K. Insulander Björk, V. Fhager, and C. Demazière, “Comparison of thorium-based fuels with different fissile components in existing boiling water reactors,” Progress in Nuclear Energy, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 618–625, 2011.
- M. Todosow and G. Raitses, “Thorium based fuel cycle options for PWRs,” in Proceedings of the International Congress on Advances in Nuclear Power Plants (ICAPP '10), pp. 1888–1897, San Diego, Calif, USA, June 2010.
- C. Cozzo, D. Staicu, J. Somers, A. Fernandez, and R. Konings, “Thermal diffusivity and conductivity of thorium-plutonium mixed oxides,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, vol. 416, no. 1-2, pp. 135–141, 2011.
- M. Karam, F. Dimayuga, and J. Montin, “Fission gas release of (Th,Pu)O2 CANDU fuel,” Tech. Rep. CW-124950-CONF-002, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, 2008.
- J. Rhodes, D. Lee, and K. Smith, CASMO-4E: Extended Capability CASMO-4—USer’S Manual, Studsvik Scandpower, 2009.
- D. W. Dean, SIMULATE-3 Advanced Three-Dimensional Two-Group Reactor Analysis Code, Studsvik Scandpower, 2007.
- “Plutonium,” World Nuclear Association, 2009, http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf15.html.
- A. Biancheria and R. J. Allio, “Nuclear fuel elements,” US patent 3.427.111, 1969.
- T. Bahadir, CMS-LINK USer’s Manual, Studsvik Scandpower, 1999.
- “Westinghouse reload evaluation methodology,” Tech. Rep. WCAP-9272, US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, 1978.
- G. Ledergerber, S. Valizadeh, J. Wright et al., “Fuel performance beyond design—exploring the limits,” in Proceedings of the LWR Fuel Performance Meeting/Top Fuel/WRFPM, pp. 513–524, Orlando, Fla, USA, September 2010.
- E. Shwageraus and H. Feinroth, “Potential of silicon carbide cladding to extend burnup of Pu-Thmixed oxide fuel,” Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, vol. 104, pp. 658–660, 2011.
- J. F. Kelly and V. Fhager, “Designing a thorium fuel irradiation experiment,” in Advanced Fuel Pellet Materials and Fuel Rod Design for Water Cooled Reactors, no. TECDOC 1654, International Atomic Energy Agency, 2010.