- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 380681, 4 pages
Factor V-Leiden Mutation: A Common Risk Factor for Venous Thrombosis among Lebanese Patients
Department of Vascular Surgery, Saint George Hospital, University Medical Center, University of Balamand, P.O. Box 166378, Achrafieh, Beirut 1100 2807, Lebanon
Received 22 January 2012; Revised 17 March 2012; Accepted 9 April 2012
Academic Editor: Solaf Elsayed
Copyright © 2012 Raghid Kreidy. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. N. Nicolaides, H. K. Breddin, P. Carpentier et al., “Thrombophilia and venous thromboembolism. International consensus statement. Guidelines according to scientific evidence,” International Angiology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 1–26, 2005.
- M. Montagnana, E. J. Favaloro, M. Franchini, G. C. Guidi, and G. Lippi, “The role of ethnicity, age and gender in venous thromboembolism,” Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 489–496, 2010.
- L. N. Roberts, R. K. Patel, and R. Arya, “Venous thromboembolism and ethnicity,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 369–383, 2009.
- W. H. Geerts, J. A. Heit, G. P. Clagett et al., “Prevention of venous thromboembolism,” Chest, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. S132–S175, 2001.
- D. C. Rees, M. Cox, and J. B. Clegg, “World distribution of factor V Leiden,” Lancet, vol. 346, no. 8983, pp. 1133–1134, 1995.
- N. Irani-Hakime, H. Tamim, R. Kreidy, and W. Y. Almawi, “Prevalence of factor V R506 Q-Leiden among apparently healthy Lebanese patients,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 2000.
- S. Moll, “Thrombophilias—practical implications and testing caveats,” Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 7–15, 2006.
- M. A. Crowther and J. G. Kelton, “Congenital thrombophilic states associated with venous thrombosis: a qualitative overview and proposed classification system,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 128–134, 2003.
- G. A. F. Nicolaes and B. Dahlback, “Activated protein C resistance ( FVL ) and thrombosis: factor V mutations causing hypercoagulable states,” Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 37–61, 2003.
- L. H. Lee, T. C. Liu, P. Kuperan, L. K. Tan, D. Tan, and M. L. Poon, “Hereditary thrombophilia in an unselected cohort of venous thrombosis patients in Singapore,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 64, no. 9, pp. 814–817, 2011.
- V. Roldan, R. Lecumberri, J. F. S. Muñoz-Torrero et al., “Thrombophilia testing in patients with venous thromboembolism. Findings from the RIETE registry,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 174–177, 2009.
- J. A. Friedline, E. Ahmad, D. Garcia et al., “Combined factor V Leiden and prothrombin genotyping in patients presenting with thromboembolic episodes,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 105–111, 2001.
- O. Wu, L. Robertson, S. Twaddle et al., “Screening for thrombophilia in high-risk situations: systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis. The Thrombosis: Risk and Economic Assessment of Thrombophilia Screening (TREATS) study,” Health Technology Assessment, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 1–75, 2006.
- A. Hatzaki, E. Anagnostopoulou, V. Metaxa-Mariatou et al., “The impact of heterozygosity for the factor V Leiden and factor II G20210A mutations on the risk of thrombosis in Greek patients,” International Angiology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 79–82, 2003.
- A. Ajem, A. Slama, F. B. H. Slama, and T. Mehjoub, “Prevalence of factor V Leiden mutation in patients with thrombosis in Tunisia,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1483–1488, 2009.
- B. S. Andersen and J. Olsen, “Oral contraception and factor V Leiden mutation in relation to localization of deep vein thrombosis,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 191–194, 1998.
- P. Dulíček, J. Malý, L. Pešavová, and M. Pecka, “Prevalence of inherited thrombophilia in young thrombosis patients from the East Bohemian region,” Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 569–573, 2002.
- K. Ghosh, S. Shetty, M. Madkaikar et al., “Venous thromboembolism in young patients from Western India: a study,” Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 158–165, 2001.
- S. Unal, G. Balta, F. Duru, F. Gumruk, C. Altay, and A. Gurgey, “Clinical and laboratory evaluation of Turkish children with thrombosis for homozygous factor V G1691A mutation,” Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 343–346, 2004.
- I. Aschka, V. Aumann, F. Bergmann et al., “Prevalence of factor V leiden in children with thrombo-embolism,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 155, no. 12, pp. 1009–1014, 1996.
- A. Marchiori, L. Mosena, M. H. Prins, and P. Prandoni, “The risk of recurrent venous thromboembolism among heterozygous carriers of factor V Leiden or prothrombin G20210A mutation. A systematic review of prospective studies,” Haematologica, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 1107–1114, 2007.
- U. Nowak-Göttl, R. Junker, W. Kreuz et al., “Risk of recurrent venous thrombosis in children with combined prothrombotic risk factors,” Blood, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 858–862, 2001.
- E. R. Pomp, A. M. Lenselink, F. R. Rosendaal, and C. J. M. Doggen, “Pregnancy, the postpartum period and prothrombotic defects: risk of venous thrombosis in the MEGA study,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 632–637, 2008.
- C. Legnani, B. Cosmi, L. Valdrè et al., “Venous thromboembolism, oral contraceptives and high prothrombin levels,” J Thromb Haemost, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 112–117, 2003.
- J. P. Vandenbroucke, T. Koster, E. Briet, P. H. Reitsma, R. M. Bertina, and F. R. Rosendaal, “Increased risk of venous thrombosis in oral-contraceptive users who are carriers of factor V Leiden mutation,” Lancet, vol. 344, no. 8935, pp. 1453–1457, 1994.
- M. Procházka, V. Krcová, P. Hrachovec, M. Kudela, and L. Slavík, “Activated protein C resistance and deep venous thrombosis in pregnancy,” Ceska Gynekologie, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 251–254, 2002.
- J. Paseka, V. Unzeitig, D. Cibula, A. Bulikova, M. Matykova, and K. Chroust, “Factor V Leiden in oral contraceptives users,” Ceska Gynekologie, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 156–159, 2000.
- J. W. Blom, C. J. M. Doggen, S. Osanto, and F. R. Rosendaal, “Malignancies, prothrombotic mutations, and the risk of venous thrombosis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 293, no. 6, pp. 715–722, 2005.
- P. Prandoni, “Cancer and thromboembolic disease: how important is the risk of thrombosis?” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 133–136, 2002.
- M. Mandalà, S. Barni, M. Prins et al., “Acquired and inherited risk factors for developing venous thromboembolism in cancer patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy: a prospective trial,” Advances in Gastrointestinal Cancers, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 871–879, 2009.
- W. H. Geerts, G. F. Pineo, J. A. Heit et al., “Prevention of venous thromboembolism: the 7th ACCP conference on antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy,” Chest, vol. 126, no. 3, supplement, pp. 338S–400S, 2004.
- W. Schobersberger, B. Schobersberger, and H. Partsch, “Travel-related thromboembolism: mechanisms and avoidance,” Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1559–1567, 2009.
- J. Siedenburg, “Traveler’s thrombosis. Who is at risk-low to prevent it,” Münchener Medizinische Wochenschrift, vol. 144, no. 38, pp. 39–41, 2002.
- S. R. Poort, F. R. Rosendaal, P. H. Reitsma, and R. M. Bertina, “A common genetic variation in the 3'-untranslated region of the prothrombin gene is associated with elevated plasma prothrombin levels and an increase in venous thrombosis,” Blood, vol. 88, no. 10, pp. 3698–3703, 1996.
- V. De Stefano, P. Chiusolo, K. Paciaroni, and G. Leone, “Epidemiology of factor V Leiden: clinical implications,” Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 367–379, 1998.
- G. Palareti, “Current criteria to determine the duration of anticoagulant therapy,” Recenti Progressi in Medicina, vol. 98, no. 12, pp. 603–606, 2007.