- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 837896, 8 pages
Thromboembolic Prophylaxis in Total Joint Arthroplasty
1Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Providence Hospital and Medical Centers, 22250 Providence Drive, Suite No. 401, Southfield, MI 48075, USA
2Detroit Medical Center/Providence Hospital Orthopaedic Residency Program, Warren, MI 48092, USA
Received 30 March 2012; Revised 19 August 2012; Accepted 21 August 2012
Academic Editor: Edith Nutescu
Copyright © 2012 David Knesek et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. H. Geerts, D. Bergqvist, G. F. Pineo et al., “Prevention of venous thromboembolism: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (8th edition),” Chest, vol. 133, no. 6, supplement, pp. 381S–453S, 2008.
- Y. Falck-Ytter, C. W. Francis, N. A. Johanson, et al., “Prevention of VTE in orthopedic surgery patients: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed. ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines,” Chest, vol. 141, pp. e278–e325, 2012.
- N. P. Sheth, J. R. Lieberman, and C. J. Della Valle, “DVT prophylaxis in total joint reconstruction,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 273–280, 2010.
- J. R. Lieberman and W. K. Hsu, “Prevention of venous thromboembolic disease after total hip and knee arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 87, no. 9, pp. 2097–2112, 2005.
- J. Muntz, D. A. Scott, A. Lloyd, and M. Egger, “Major bleeding rates after prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism: systematic review, meta-analysis, and cost implications,” International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 405–414, 2004.
- F. A. Anderson and F. A. Spencer, “Risk factors for venous thromboembolism,” Circulation, vol. 107, no. 23, pp. I9–I16, 2003.
- M. A. Mont, J. J. Jacobs, and L. N. Boggio, “Preventing venous thromboembolic disease in patients undergoing elective hip and knee arthroplasty,” Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, vol. 19, pp. 768–776, 2011.
- M. J. Pagnani, P. M. Pellicci, and E. A. Salvati, “Effect of aspirin on heterotopic ossification after total hip arthroplasty in men who have osteoarthrosis,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 924–929, 1991.
- A. A. Freiberg, R. Cantor, and R. A. Freiberg, “The use of aspirin to prevent heterotopic ossification after total hip arthroplasty: a preliminary report,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 267, pp. 93–96, 1991.
- “Collaborative overview of randomized trials of antiplatelet therapy—III: reduction in venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism by antiplatelet prophylaxis among surgical and medical patients,” British Medical Journal, vol. 308, pp. 235–246, 1994.
- S. C. Woller, K. C. Bertin, S. M. Stevens, et al., “A prospective comparison of warfarin to aspirin for thromboprophylaxis in total hip and total knee arthroplasty,” The Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 27, pp. 1–9, 2012.
- K. J. Bozic, T. P. Vail, P. S. Pekow, J. H. Maselli, P. K. Lindenauer, and A. D. Auerbach, “Does aspirin have a role in venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in total knee arthroplasty patients?” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1053–1060, 2010.
- M. Khatod, M. C. S. Inacio, S. A. Bini, and E. W. Paxton, “Pulmonary embolism prophylaxis in more than 30, 000 total knee arthroplasty patients: is there a best choice?” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 167–172, 2011.
- P. A. Lotke and J. H. Lonner, “The benefit of aspirin chemoprophylaxis for thromboembolism after total knee arthroplasty,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 452, pp. 175–180, 2006.
- B. I. Eriksson, A. K. Kakkar, and A. G. Turpie, “Oral rivaroxaban for the prevention of symptomatic venous thromboembolism after elective hip and knee replacement,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 636–644, 2009.
- L. M. Kwong, “Cost effectiveness of rivaroxaban after total hip or total knee arthroplasty,” American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 17, pp. S22–S26, 2011.
- C. D. Jensen, A. Steval, P. F. Partington, M. R. Reed, and S. D. Muller, “Return to theatre following total hip and knee replacement, before and after the introduction of rivaroxaban: a retrospective cohort study,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 91–95, 2011.
- K. B. Freedman, K. R. Brookenthal, R. H. Fitzgerald, S. Williams, and J. H. Lonner, “A meta-analysis of thromboembolic prophylaxis following elective total hip arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 82, no. 7, pp. 929–938, 2000.
- AAOS Instructional Course Lecture, “Venous thromboembolic disease after total hip and knee arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 2764–2780, 2008.
- B. L. Nordstrom, S. Kachroo, K. H. Fraeman, et al., “Warfarin prophylaxis in patients after total knee of hip arthroplasty—international normalized ratio patterns and venous thromboembolism,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 27, pp. 1973–1985, 2011.
- T. E. Warkentin, M. N. Levine, J. Hirsh et al., “Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in patients treated with low-molecular-weight heparin or unfractionated heparin,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 20, pp. 1330–1335, 1995.
- C. W. Francis, V. D. Pellegrini, S. Totterman et al., “Prevention of deep-vein thrombosis after total hip arthroplasty: comparison of warfarin and dalteparin,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 79, no. 9, pp. 1365–1372, 1997.
- R. H. Fitzgerald, T. E. Spiro, A. A. Trowbridge et al., “Prevention of venous thromboembolic disease following primary total knee arthroplasty: a randomized, multicenter, open-label, parallel-group comparison of enoxaparin and warfarin,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 900–906, 2001.
- A. W. Howard and S. D. Aaron, “Low molecular weight heparin decreases proximal and distal deep venous thrombosis following total knee arthroplasty: a meta-analysis of randomized trials,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 902–906, 1998.
- K. A. Bauer, “New pentasaccharides for prophylaxis of deep vein thrombosis: pharmacology,” Chest, vol. 124, no. 6, supplement, pp. 364S–370S, 2003.
- A. G. G. Turpie, K. Bauer, B. Eriksson, and M. Lassen, “Efficacy and safety of fondaparinux in major orthopedic surgery according to the timing of its first administration,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 364–366, 2003.
- A. G. G. Turpie, K. A. Bauer, B. I. Eriksson, and M. R. Lassen, “Fondaparinux vs enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism in major orthopedic surgery: a meta-analysis of 4 randomized double-blind studies,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 162, no. 16, pp. 1833–1840, 2002.
- K. A. Bauer, B. I. Eriksson, M. R. Lassen, and A. G. G. Turpie, “Fondaparinux compared with enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after elective major knee surgery,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 18, pp. 1305–1310, 2001.