- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Tuberculosis Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 292605, 7 pages
An IMS/ATP Assay for the Detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Urine
Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology, University of South Florida, 4202 E. Fowler Avenue, ISA 2015, Tampa, FL 33620-7115, USA
Received 22 November 2011; Revised 15 February 2012; Accepted 18 February 2012
Academic Editor: Carlo Garzelli
Copyright © 2012 Dawn M. Hunter and Daniel V. Lim. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. B. Eastwood, C. M. Corbishley, and J. M. Grange, “Tuberculosis and the kidney,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1307–1314, 2001.
- World Health Organization, Global Tuberculosis Control: Fact Sheet, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2010.
- M. D. Perkins and J. Cunningham, “Facing the crisis: improving the diagnosis of tuberculosis in the HIV era,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 196, supplement 1, pp. S15–S27, 2007.
- J. Peter, C. Green, M. Hoelscher, P. Mwaba, A. Zumla, and K. Dheda, “Urine for the diagnosis of tuberculosis: current approaches, clinical applicability, and new developments,” Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 262–270, 2010.
- M. Shah, N. A. Martinson, R. E. Chaisson, D. J. Martin, E. Variava, and S. E. Dorman, “Quantitative analysis of a urine-based assay for detection of lipoarabinomannan in patients with tuberculosis,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 2972–2974, 2010.
- G. Torrea, P. van de Perre, M. Ouedraogo et al., “PCR-based detection of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex in urine of HIV-infected and uninfected pulmonary and extrapulmonary tuberculosis patients in Burkina Faso,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 39–44, 2005.
- H. Getahun, M. Harrington, R. O'Brien, and P. Nunn, “Diagnosis of smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in people with HIV infection or AIDS in resource-constrained settings: informing urgent policy changes,” The Lancet, vol. 369, no. 9578, pp. 2042–2049, 2007.
- M. P. Golden and H. R. Vikram, “Extrapulmonary tuberculosis: An overview,” American Family Physician, vol. 72, no. 9, pp. 1761–1768, 2005.
- K. Gopinath and S. Singh, “Urine as an adjunct specimen for the diagnosis of active pulmonary tuberculosis,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 374–379, 2009.
- D. V. Havlir and P. F. Barnes, “Tuberculosis in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 5, p. 367, 1999.
- E. Mortier, J. Pouchot, L. Girard, Y. Boussougant, and P. Vinceneux, “Assessment of urine analysis for the diagnosis of tuberculosis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 312, no. 7022, pp. 27–28, 1996.
- A. Aceti, S. Zanetti, M. S. Mura et al., “Identification of HIV patients with active pulmonary tuberculosis using urine based polymerase chain reaction assay,” Thorax, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 145–146, 1999.
- C. C. Boehme, P. Nabeta, D. Hillemann et al., “Rapid molecular detection of tuberculosis and rifampin resistance,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 11, pp. 1005–1015, 2010.
- V. Choudhry and R. Saxena, “Detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigens in urinary proteins of tuberculosis patients,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2002.
- S. K. Chadha and R. P. Sahi, “Urinary tract involvement in pulmonary tuberculosis,” Indian Journal of Tuberculosis, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 54–57, 1971.
- V. K. Challu, B. Mahadev, R. Rajalakshmi, and K. Chaudhuri, “Recovery of tubercle bacilli from urine of pulmonary tuberculosis patients and its comparison with the corresponding sputum isolates,” Indian Journal of Tuberculosis, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 107–111, 1989.
- N. Selvakumar, A. M. Reetha, S. P. Vanajakumar, et al., “Mycobacteriuria in pulmonary tuberculosis patients in Madras, South India,” Indian Journal of Tuberculosis, vol. 40, pp. 43–45, 1993.
- J. Syed, “Tuberculosis diagnostic pipeline,” TAG 2010 Pipeline Report, HIV i-Base HIV Treatment Bulletin, 2010, http://i-base.info/htb/13614.
- Stop TB Partnership, “TB diagnostics pipeline,” 2007, TB Diagnostics Working Group, http://www.stoptb.org/.
- World Health Organization, “TB diagnostics and laboratory strengthening,” 2011, http://www.who.int/tb/laboratory/en/.
- E. Liandris, M. Gazouli, M. Andreadou, L. A. Sechi, V. Rosu, and J. Ikonomopolous, “Detection of pathogenic mycobacteria based on functionalized quantum dots coupled with immunomagnetic separation,” PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e20026, 2011.
- G. H. Mazurek, V. Reddy, D. Murphy, and T. Ansari, “Detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in cerebrospinal fluid following immunomagnetic enrichment,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 450–453, 1996.
- A. N. Sharpe, “Separation and concentration of samples,” in Detecting Pathogens in Food, T. A. McMeekin, Ed., pp. 52–68, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2003.
- K. A. Stevens and L. A. Jaykus, “Bacterial separation and concentration from complex sample matrices: a review,” Critical Reviews in Microbiology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 7–24, 2004.
- R. B. Schifman, M. Wieden, J. Brooker, et al., “Bacteriuria screening by direct bioluminescence assay of ATP,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 644–648, 1984.
- W. D. Welch, L. Thompson, M. Layman, and P. M. Southern Jr., “Evaluation of two bioluminescence-measuring instruments, the turner design and lumac systems, for the rapid screening of urine specimens,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1165–1170, 1984.
- D. S. Askgaard, A. Gottschau, K. Knudsen, and J. Bennedsen, “Firefly luciferase assay of adenosine triphosphate as a tool of quantitation of the viability of BCG vaccines,” Biologicals, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 55–60, 1995.
- L. E. Nilsson, S. E. Hoffner, and S. Ansehn, “Rapid susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis by bioluminescence assay of mycobacterial ATP,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1208–1212, 1988.
- R. N. Bushon, A. M. Brady, C. A. Likirdopulos, and J. V. Cireddu, “Rapid detection of Escherichia coli and enterococci in recreational water using an immunomagnetic separation/adenosine triphosphate technique,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 432–441, 2009.
- D. M. Hunter, S. D. Leskinen, S. Magaña, S. M. Schlemmer, and D. V. Lim, “Dead-end ultrafiltration concentration and IMS/ATP-bioluminescence detection of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in recreational water and produce wash,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 338–342, 2011.
- J. Lee and R. A. Deininger, “Detection of E. coli in beach water within 1 hour using immunomagnetic separation and ATP bioluminescence,” Luminescence, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 2004.
- A. Dalhoff, W. Stubbings, and S. Schubert, “Comparative in vitro activities of the novel antibacterial finafloxacin against selected Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria tested in Mueller-Hinton broth and synthetic urine,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1814–1818, 2011.
- L. L. Swaim, R. C. Johnson, Y. Zhou, C. Sandlin, and J. R. Barr, “Quantification of organophosphorus nerve agent metabolites using a reduced-volume, high-throughput sample processing format and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry,” Journal of Analytical Toxicology, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 774–777, 2008.
- P. Uppuluri, H. Dinakaran, D. P. Thomas, A. K. Chaturvedi, and J. L. Lopez-Ribot, “Characteristics of Candida albicans biofilms grown in a synthetic urine medium,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 4078–4083, 2009.
- MedlinePlus, 2011, Urine pH. MedlinePlus, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine through the National Institutes of Health, http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003583.htm.
- V. M. Bapat, A. M. Bal, R. S. Bhuta, and D. R. Salvi, “Mycobacteriuria—whether a forerunner of manifest tuberculosis?” Journal of Association of Physicians of India, vol. 54, pp. 588–590, 2006.
- C. H. Collins, J. M. Grange, and M. D. Yates, Organization and Practice in Tuberculosis Bacteriology, Butterworths, London, UK, 1985.
- C. B. Inderlied, C. A. Kemper, and L. E. M. Bermudez, “The Mycobacterium avium complex,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 266–310, 1993.