- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 11 (2011), Pages 2613-2619
Enteropathogenic Escherichia coli Associated with Diarrhea in Children in Cairo, Egypt
1Department of Clinical Pathology, Kasr El Aini Hospital, Cairo University, 12613 Giza, Egypt
2Botany and Microbiology Department, Faculty of Science, Helwan University, 11916 Helwan, Egypt
3Biology Department, Faculty of Science, Jazan University, 2097 Jazan, Saudi Arabia
Received 11 October 2011; Accepted 15 November 2011
Academic Editors: E. L. Jarroll and A. Ouwehand
Copyright © 2011 Iman K. Behiry et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Estrada-Garcia, C. Lopez-Saucedo, R. Thompson-Bonilla et al., “Association of diarrheagenic Escherichia coli pathotypes with infection and diarrhea among mexican children and association of atypical enteropathogenic E. coli with acute diarrhea,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 93–98, 2009.
- M. M. Aslani and M. Y. Alikhani, “Serotypes of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli isolated from children under 5 years of age,” Iranian Journal of Public Health, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 70–77, 2009.
- Y. T. Kandakai-Olukemi, J. D. Mawak, and M. M. Onojo, “Isolation of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli from children with diarrhoea attending the national hospital in Abuja, Nigeria,” Shiraz E-Medical Journal, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 99–106, 2009.
- B. A. Botelho, S. Y. Bando, L. R. Trabulsi, and C. A. Moreira-Filho, “Identification of EPEC and non-EPEC serotypes in the EPEC O serogroups by PCR-RFLP analysis of the fliC gene,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 87–93, 2003.
- W. P. Elias, S. F. Barros, C. G. Moreira, L. R. Trabulsi, and T. A. T. Gomes, “Enteroaggregative Escherichia coli strains among classical enteropathogenic Escherichia coli O serogroups,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 3540–3541, 2002.
- M. Cheesbrough, District Laboratory Practice in Tropical Countries, vol. 2, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2004.
- National Community for Clinical Laboratory Standards, “Performance standard for antimicrobial susceptibility testing eleventh informational supplement,” Wayne Pennsylvania National Community for Clinical Laboratory Standards, NCCLS Documents M100-S11, 2000.
- I. H. Kilic, M. Ozaslan, T. Karsligil, I. D. Karagöz, and Y. Zer, “Investigation of diarrhea agents less than 5 years of age in summer in Gaziantep/Turkey,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 10, no. 17, pp. 2915–2919, 2007.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, “Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing document M100-S19, CLSI, Wayne,” pp. 52, 2009.
- S. P. Borriello, P. R. Murray, and G. Funke, “Enteropathogenic E.coli, Epidemiology and disease,” Bacteriology, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 1372–1374, 2005.
- M. Moyenuddini and K. M. Rahman, “Enteropathogenic Escherichia coli diarrhea in hospitalized children in Bangladesh,” Jornal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 54, pp. 838–840, 1983.
- M. Youssef, A. Shurman, M. E. Bougnoux, M. Rawashdeh, S. Bretagne, and N. Strockbine, “Bacterial, viral and parasitic enteric pathogens associated with acute diarrhea in hospitalized children from northern Jordan,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 257–263, 2000.
- S. Shukry, A. M. Zaki, and H. L. DuPont, “Detection of enteropathogens in fatal and potentially fatal diarrhea in Cairo, Egypt,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 959–962, 1986.
- F. A. Muhammad, “Dirrheagenic E. coli in Ismailia city; Enteropathogenic, enterotoxigenic, enteroinvasive, enteroadherent and entrohemorrhagic,” Medical Journal of Cairo University, vol. 30, pp. 21–27, 1999.
- F. M. Mohamed, S. EL Deeb, Z. A. Ismail, M. Fadel, and F. Hassanin, “Prevalence of rota virus like agent and Enteropathogenic E. coli in infantile diarrhea in Assiut,” Medical Journal of Cairo University, vol. 34, pp. 31–41, 1992.
- F. I. Sonbol, N. F. El-Far, and H. Fouad, “A ransmissible Trimethoprim resistance in Escherichia coli isolated from case percent of infantile diarrhea in Tanta, Egypt,” AZhr Journal of Microbiology, vol. 26, pp. 70–79, 1994.
- A. Chatkaeomorakot, P. Echeverria, D. N. Taylor et al., “HeLa cell-adherent Escherichia coli in children with diarrhea in Thailand,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 156, no. 4, pp. 669–672, 1987.
- A. Cravioto, R. E. Reyes, R. Ortega, G. Fernandez, R. Hernandez, and D. Lopez, “Prospective study of diarrhoeal disease in a cohort of rural Mexican children: incidence and isolated pathogens during the first two years of life,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 123–134, 1988.
- J. E. Afset, L. Bevanger, P. Romundstad, and K. Bergh, “Association of atypical enteropathogenic Escherichia coli (EPEC) with prolonged diarrhoea,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 1137–1144, 2004.
- M. M. Levine, C. Ferreccio, V. Prado et al., “Epidemiologic studies of Escherichia coli diarrheal infections in a low socioeconomic level peri-urban community in Santiago, Chile,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 138, no. 10, pp. 849–869, 1993.
- M. J. Albert, A. S. G. Faruque, S. M. Faruque, R. B. Sack, and D. Mahalanabis, “Case-control study of enteropathogens associated with childhood diarrhea in Dhaka, Bangladesh,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 3458–3464, 1999.