- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 159821, 8 pages
Neurocysticercosis: A Review
1Department of Neurological Sciences, Hospital—Clinica Kennedy, Guayaquil, Ecuador
2Air Center 3542, P.O. Box 522970, Miami, Fl 33152-2970, USA
Received 3 October 2011; Accepted 1 November 2011
Academic Editors: D. Bates, M. Brunanska, and P. L. Moro
Copyright © 2012 Oscar H. Del Brutto. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- O. H. Del Brutto, R. Santibañez, L. Idrovo et al., “Epilepsy and neurocysticercosis in Atahualpa: a door-to-door survey in rural coastal Ecuador,” Epilepsia, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 583–587, 2005.
- M. T. Medina, R. M. Duron, and L. Martinez, “Prevalence, incidence, and etioloy of epilepsies in rural Honduras: the Salama study,” Epilepsia, vol. 46, pp. 124–131, 2005.
- S. M. Montano, M. V. Villaran, L. Ylquimiche et al., “Neurocysticercosis: association between seizures, serology, and brain CT in rural Peru,” Neurology, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 229–234, 2005.
- A. Fleury, J. M. García, P. V. Aguerrebere et al., “Neurocysticercosis, a persisting health problem in Mexico,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 4, no. 8, article e805, 2010.
- A. C. White Jr., “Neurocysticercosis: updates on epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 51, pp. 187–206, 2000.
- G. Más-Sesé, I. Vives-Piñera, A. Fernández-Barreiro et al., “Estudio descriptivo de neurocisticercosis en un hospital terciario,” Revista de Neurologia, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 194–196, 2008.
- J. A. Serpa, E. A. Graviss, J. S. Kass, and A. C. White, “Neurocysticercosis in Houston, Texas: an update,” Medicine, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 81–86, 2011.
- F. Sorvillo, P. Wilkins, S. Shafir, and M. Eberhard, “Public health implications of cysticercosis acquired in the United States,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2011.
- O. H. Del Brutto, J. Sotelo, and G. Román, Neurocysticercosis: A Clinical Handbook, Swets & Zeitlinger, Lisse, The Netherlands, 1988.
- A. E. Gonzalez, T. Lopez-Urbina, B. Tsang et al., “Transmission dynamics of Taenia solium and potential for pig-to-pig transmission,” Parasitology International, vol. 55, pp. S131–S135, 2006.
- K. Willms, “Morphology and biochemistry of the pork tapeworm, Taenia solium,” Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 375–382, 2008.
- A. Escobar and K. M. Weidenheim, “The pathology of neurocysticercosis,” in Taenia Solium Cysticercosis. From Basic to Clinical Science, G. Singh and S. Prabhakar, Eds., pp. 289–305, CAB International, Oxon, UK, 2002.
- J. E. H. Pittella, “Neurocysticercosis,” Brain Pathology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 681–693, 1997.
- O. H. Del Brutto, “Stroke and vasculitis in patients with cysticercosis,” in Uncommon Causes of Stroke, L. R. Caplan, Ed., pp. 53–58, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2008.
- A. Flisser, D. Correa, and C. A. W. Evans, Taenia Solium Cysticercosis. From Basic to Clinical Science, edited by G. Singh and S. Prabhakar, CAB International, Oxon, UK, 2002.
- O. H. Del Brutto, P. R. Castillo, I. X. Mena, and A. X. Freire, “Neurocysticercosis among patients with cerebral gliomas,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 1125–1128, 1997.
- O. H. Del Brutto, M. Dolezal, P. R. Castillo, and H. H. García, “Neurocysticercosis and oncogenesis,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 151–155, 2000.
- O. H. Del Brutto, R. Santibáñez, C. A. Noboa, R. Aguirre, E. Diaz, and T. A. Alarcon, “Epilepsy due to neurocysticercosis: analysis of 203 patients,” Neurology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 389–392, 1992.
- H. H. Garcia and O. H. Del Brutto, “Neurocysticercosis: updated concepts about an old disease,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 653–661, 2005.
- T. E. Nash, O. H. Del Brutto, J. A. Butman, et al., “Calcified neurocysticercosis and epileptoenesis,” Neuroloy, vol. 62, pp. 1934–1938, 2004.
- T. E. Nash, E. J. Pretell, A. G. Lescano et al., “Perilesional brain oedema and seizure activity in patients with calcified neurocysticercosis: a prospective cohort and nested case-control study,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1099–1105, 2008.
- A. Fleury, R. Carrillo-Mezo, A. Flisser, E. Sciutto, and T. Corona, “Subarachnoid basal neurocysticercosis: a focus on the most severe form of the disease,” Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 123–133, 2011.
- R. Rangel, B. Torres, O. Del Bruto, and J. Sotelo, “Cysticercotic encephalitis: a severe form in young females,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 387–392, 1987.
- O. Forlenza, A. H. Vieira, J. P. S. Nobrea, et al., “Psychiatric manifestations in neurocysticercosis: a study of 38 patients from a neurologic clinics in Brazil,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 62, pp. 612–616, 1997.
- D. Nieto, “Historical notes on cysticercosis,” in Cysticercosis: Present State of Knowledge and Perspectives, A. Flisser, K. Willms, J. P. Laclete, C. Larralde, C. Ridaura, and F. Beltrán, Eds., pp. 1–7, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- O. H. Del Brutto, J. Guevara, and J. Sotelo, “Intrasellar cysticercosis,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 58–60, 1988.
- G. A. Alsina, J. P. Johnson, D. Q. McBride, P. R. Rhoten, C. M. Mehringer, and J. K. Stokes, “Spinal neurocysticercosis,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 12, no. 6, p. e8, 2002.
- S. Madiubba, K. Vishwanath, G. Reddy, et al., “Chaning trends in ocular cysticercosis over two decades: an analysis of 118 surgically excised cysts,” Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 25, pp. 214–219, 2007.
- N. Wadia, S. Desai, and M. Bhatt, “Disseminated cysticercosis. New observations, including CT scan findings and experience with treatment by praziquantel,” Brain, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 597–614, 1988.
- H. H. García and O. H. Del Brutto, “Imaging findings in neurocysticercosis,” Acta Tropica, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 71–78, 2003.
- H. H. Garcia, O. H. Del Brutto, T. E. Nash, A. C. White, V. C. W. Tsang, and R. H. Gilman, “New concepts in the diagnosis and management of neurocysticercosis (Taenia solium),” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 3–9, 2005.
- G. Singh, V. Rajshekhar, J. M. K. Murthy et al., “A diagnostic and therapeutic scheme for a solitary cysticercus granuloma,” Neurology, vol. 75, no. 24, pp. 2236–2245, 2010.
- I. Madrazo, J. A. Garcia Renteria, M. Sandoval, and F. J. Lopez Vega, “Intraventricular cysticercosis,” Neurosurgery, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 148–152, 1983.
- L. L. F. Do Amaral, R. M. Ferreira, A. J. Da Rocha, and N. P. D. Fortes Ferreira, “Neurocysticercosis: evaluation with advanced magnetic resonance techniques and atypical forms,” Topics in Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 127–144, 2005.
- O. H. Del Brutto, V. Rajshekhar, A. C. White et al., “Proposed diagnostic criteria for neurocysticercosis,” Neurology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 177–183, 2001.
- S. Gogia, B. Talukdar, V. Choudhury, and B. Singh Arora, “Neurocysticercosis in children: clinical findings and response to albendazole therapy in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in newly diagnosed cases,” Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 416–421, 2003.
- V. C. W. Tsang, J. A. Brand, and A. E. Boyer, “An enzyme-linked immunoelectrotransfer blot assay and glycoprotein antigens for diagnosing human cysticercosis (Taenia solium),” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 50–59, 1989.
- S. Mahanty and H. H. Garcia, “Cysticercosis and neurocysticercosis as pathogens affecting the nervous system,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 172–184, 2010.
- H. H. García and O. H. Del Brutto, “Heavy nonencephalitic cerebral cysticercosis in tapeworm carriers. The Cysticercosis Working Group in Perú,” Neurology, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 1582–1584, 1999.
- R. H. Gilman, O. H. Del Brutto, H. H. García, and M. Martínez, “Prevalence of taeniosis among patients with neurocysticercosis is related to severity of infection,” Neurology, vol. 55, no. 7, p. 1062, 2000.
- H. H. García, C. A. W. Evans, T. E. Nash et al., “Current consensus guidelines for treatment of neurocysticercosis,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 747–756, 2002.
- T. E. Nash, G. Singh, A. C. White et al., “Treatment of neurocysticercosis: current status and future research needs,” Neurology, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 1120–1127, 2006.
- J. Sotelo and C. Diaz-Olavarrieta, “Neurocysticercosis: changes after 25 years of medical therapy,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 62–63, 2010.
- J. Sotelo, F. Escobedo, J. Rodriguez-Carbajal, et al., “Therapy of parenchymal brain cysticercosis with praziquantel,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 310, no. 16, pp. 1001–1007, 1984.
- O. H. Del Brutto, X. Campos, J. Sánchez, and A. Mosquera, “Single-day praziquantel versus 1-week albendazole for neurocysticercosis,” Neurology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1079–1081, 1999.
- E. J. Pretell, H. H. García, R. H. Gilman, H. Saavedra, and M. Martinez, “Failure of one-day praziquantel treatment in patients with multiple neurocysticercosis lesions,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 175–177, 2001.
- F. Escobedo, P. Penagos, J. Rodriguez, and J. Sotelo, “Albendazole therapy for neurocysticercosis,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 147, no. 4, pp. 738–741, 1987.
- H. H. Garcia, R. H. Gilman, J. Horton et al., “Albendazole therapy for neurocysticercosis: a prospective double-blind trial comparing 7 versus 14 days of treatment,” Neurology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 1421–1427, 1997.
- J. A. Bustos, E. J. Pretell, F. Llanos-Zavalaga, R. H. Gilman, O. H. Del Brutto, and H. H. Garcia, “Efficacy of a 3-day course of albendazole treatment in patients with a single neurocysticercosis cyst,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 193–194, 2006.
- J. Sotelo, O. H. Del Brutto, P. Penagos et al., “Comparison of therapeutic regimen of anticysticercal drugs for parenchymal brain cysticercosis,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 237, no. 2, pp. 69–72, 1990.
- O. M. Takayanagui and E. Jardim, “Therapy for neurocysticercosis: comparison between albendazole and praziquantel,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 290–294, 1992.
- O. H. Del Brutto, “Albendazole therapy for subarachnoid cysticerci: clinical and neuroimaging analysis of 17 patients,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 659–661, 1997.
- F. Góngora-Rivera, J. L. Soto-Hernández, D. González Esquivel et al., “Albendazole trial at 15 or 30 mg/kg/day for subarachnoid and intraventricular cysticercosis,” Neurology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 436–438, 2006.
- J. V. Proaño, I. Madrazo, F. Avelar, B. López-Félix, G. Díaz, and I. Grijalva, “Medical treatment for neurocysticercosis characterized by giant subarachnoid cysts,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 12, pp. 879–885, 2001.
- R. Salinas, C. Counsell, K. Prasad, H. Gelband, and P. Garner, “Treating neurocysticercosis medically: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trials,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 713–718, 1999.
- H. H. Garcia, E. J. Pretell, R. H. Gilman et al., “A trial of antiparasitic treatment to reduce the rate of seizures due to cerebral cysticercosis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 3, pp. 249–258, 2004.
- A. K. Baranwal, P. D. Singhi, N. Khandelwal, and S. C. Singhi, “Albendazole therapy in children with focal seizures and single small enhancing computerized tomographic lesions: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double blind trial,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 696–700, 1998.
- V. Kalra, T. Dua, and V. Kumar, “Efficacy of albendazole and short-course dexamethasone treatment in children with 1 or 2 ring-enhancing lesions of neurocysticercosis: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 111–114, 2003.
- O. H. Del Brutto, K. L. Roos, C. S. Coffey, and H. H. García, “Meta-analysis: cysticidal drugs for neurocysticercosis: albendazole and praziquantel,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 145, no. 1, pp. 43–51, 2006.
- O. H. Del Brutto, “Prognostic factors for seizure recurrence after withdrawal of antiepileptic drugs in patients with neurocysticercosis,” Neurology, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 1706–1709, 1994.
- N. M. Keilbach, A. S. De Aluja, and E. Sarti-Gutierrez, “A programme to control taeniasis-cysticercosis (T. solium): experiences in a Mexican village,” Acta Leidensia, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 181–189, 1989.
- Z. S. Pawlowski, “Role of chemotherapy of taeniasis in prevention of neurocysticercosis,” Parasitology International, vol. 55, pp. S105–S109, 2006.