- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 254929, 8 pages
Microbial Transformations of 7-Hydroxyflavanone
Department of Chemistry, Wrocław University of Environmental and Life Sciences, Norwida 25, 50-375 Wrocław, Poland
Received 11 October 2011; Accepted 22 December 2011
Academic Editor: Gabriella Marucci
Copyright © 2012 Edyta Kostrzewa-Susłow and Tomasz Janeczko. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. B. Harborne and H. Baxter, The Handbook of Natural Flavonoids, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 1999.
- W. Wiczkowski and M. K. Piskula, “Food flavonoids,” Polish Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences, vol. 13, pp. 101–114, 2004.
- B. Winkel-Shirley, “It takes a garden. How work on diverse plant species has contributed to an understanding of flavonoid metabolism,” Plant Physiology, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 1399–1404, 2001.
- G. Di Carlo, N. Mascolo, A. A. Izzo, and F. Capasso, “Flavonoids: old and new aspects of a class of natural therapeutic drugs,” Life Sciences, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 337–353, 1999.
- B. H. Havsteen, “The biochemistry and medical significance of the flavonoids,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 96, no. 2-3, pp. 67–202, 2002.
- E. Middleton, C. Kandaswami, and T. C. Theoharides, “The effects of plant flavonoids on mammalian cells: implications for inflammation, heart disease, and cancer,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 673–751, 2000.
- L. Sampson, E. Rimm, P. C. H. Hollman, J. H. M. De Vries, and M. B. Katan, “Flavonol and flavone intakes in US health professionals,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 1414–1420, 2002.
- J. B. Harborne, The Flavonoids, Chapman and Hall, London, UK, 1988.
- H. K. Chun, Y. Ohnishi, K. Shindo, N. Misawa, K. Furukawa, and S. Horinouchi, “Biotransformation of flavone and flavanone by Streptomyces lividans cells carrying shuffled biphenyl dioxygenase genes,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 113–121, 2003.
- G. T. Maatooq and J. P. N. Rosazza, “Metabolism of daidzein by Nocardia species NRRL 5646 and Mortierella isabellina ATCC 38063,” Phytochemistry, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1007–1011, 2005.
- M. Seeger, M. González, B. Cámara et al., “Biotransformation of natural and synthetic isoflavonoids by two recombinant microbial enzymes,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 5045–5050, 2003.
- A. Wang, F. Zhang, L. Huang et al., “New progress in biocatalysis and biotransformation of flavonoids,” Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 847–856, 2010.
- S. Das and J. P. N. Rosazza, “Microbial and enzymatic transformations of flavonoids,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 499–508, 2006.
- M. Sanchez-Gonzalez and J. P. N. Rosazza, “Microbial transformations of chalcones: hydroxylation, O-demethylation, and cyclization to flavanones,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 553–558, 2004.
- A. R. Ibrahim and Y. J. Abul-Hajj, “Microbiological transformation of chromone, chromanone, and ring a hydroxyflavones,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1471–1478, 1990.
- W. Herath, J. R. Mikell, A. L. Hale, D. Ferreira, and I. A. Khan, “Microbial metabolism. Part 6. Metabolites of 3- and 7-hydroxyflavones,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 320–324, 2006.
- W. Herath, J. R. Mikell, A. L. Hale, D. Ferreira, and I. A. Khan, “Microbial metabolism part 9.1 Structure and antioxidant significance of the metabolites of 5,7-dihydroxyflavone (chrysin), and 5- and 6-hydroxyflavones,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 418–422, 2008.
- M. Hosny, K. Dhar, and J. P. N. Rosazza, “Hydroxylations and methylations of quercetin, fisetin, and catechin by Streptomyces griseus,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 462–465, 2001.
- D. Buisson, J. Quintin, and G. Lewin, “Biotransformation of polymethoxylated flavonoids: access to their 4′-O-demethylated metabolites,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 1035–1038, 2007.
- E. Kostrzewa-Susłow, J. Dmochowska-Gładysz, A. Białońska, Z. Ciunik, and W. Rymowicz, “Microbial transformations of flavanone and 6-hydroxyflavanone by Aspergillus niger strains,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 39, no. 1–4, pp. 18–23, 2006.
- E. Kostrzewa-Susłow, J. Dmochowska-Gładysz, and T. Janeczko, “Microbial transformation of selected flavanones as a method of increasing the antioxidant properties,” Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung C, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 56–60, 2010.
- A. Arora, M. G. Nair, and G. M. Strasburg, “Antioxidant activities of isoflavones and their biological metabolites in a liposomal system,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 356, no. 2, pp. 133–141, 1998.
- M. Soczyńska-Kordala, A. Bakowska, J. Oszmiański, and J. Gabrielska, “Metal ion-flavonoid associations in bilayer phospholipid membranes,” Cellular and Molecular Biology Letters, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 277–281, 2001.
- S. A. B. E. Van Acker, M. J. De Groot, D. J. D. Van Berg et al., “A quantum chemical explanation of the antioxidant activity of flavonoids,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1305–1312, 1996.
- S. A. B. E. Van Acker, D. J. Van Den Berg, M. N. J. L. Tromp et al., “Structural aspects of antioxidant activity of flavonoids,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 331–342, 1996.