- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 365961, 6 pages
Emotional Eating: A Virtually Untreated Risk Factor for Outcome Following Bariatric Surgery
Private Practice, 6315 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15217, USA
Received 28 October 2011; Accepted 8 December 2011
Academic Editor: Maurizio De Luca
Copyright © 2012 Betty E. Chesler. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Tayyem, A. Ali, J. Atkinson, and C. R. Martin, “Analysis of health-related quality-of-life instruments measuring the impact of bariatric surgery: systematic review of the instruments used and their content validity,” Patient, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 73–87, 2011.
- J. C. Clapham and J. R. Arch, “Targeting thermogenesis and related pathways in anti-obesity drug discovery,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 295–308, 2011.
- M. A. Maggard, L. R. Shugarman, M. Suttorp et al., “Meta-analysis: surgical treatment of obesity,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 142, no. 7, pp. 547–559, 2005.
- S. Mäklin, A. Malmivaara, M. Linna, M. Victorzon, V. Koivukangas, and H. Sintonen, “Cost-utility of bariatric surgery in the treatment for morbid obesity in Finland,” The British Journal of Surgery, vol. 98, no. 10, pp. 1422–1429, 2009.
- B. T. Ewing, M. A. Thompson, M. S. Wachtel, and E. E. Frezza, “A cost-benefit analysis of bariatric surgery on the South Plains region of Texas,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, pp. 644–649, 2011.
- E. A. Finkelstein, B. T. Allaire, S. M. Burgess, and B. C. Hale, “Financial implications of coverage for laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, pp. 295–303, 2011.
- S. H. Chang, C. R. T. Stoll, and G. A. Colditz, “Cost-effectiveness of bariatric surgery: should it be universally available?” Maturitas, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 230–238, 2011.
- R. Lutfi, A. Torquati, N. Sekhar, and W. O. Richards, “Predictors of success after laparoscopic gastric bypass: a multivariate analysis of socioeconomic factors,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 864–867, 2006.
- W. S. Júnior, J. L. do Amaral, and C. B. Nonino-Borges, “Factors related to weight loss up to 4 years after bariatric surgery,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1724–1730, 2011.
- M. Kruseman, A. Leimgruber, F. Zumbach, and A. Golay, “Dietary, weight, and psychological changes among patients with obesity, 8 years after gastric bypass,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 527–534, 2010.
- D. O. Magro, B. Geloneze, R. Delfini, B. C. Pareja, F. Callejas, and J. C. Pareja, “Long-term weight regain after gastric bypass: a 5-year prospective study,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 648–651, 2008.
- P. N. Benotti and R. A. Forse, “The role of gastric surgery in the multidisciplinary management of severe obesity,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 169, no. 3, pp. 361–367, 1995.
- M. L. Rawlins, D. Teel II, K. Hedgcorth, and J. P. Maguire, “Revision of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass to distal bypass for failed weight loss,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, pp. 454–459, 2011.
- L. K. G. Hsu, P. N. Benotti, J. Dwyer et al., “Nonsurgical factors that influence the outcome of bariatric surgery: a review,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 338–346, 1998.
- J. M. Chevallier, M. Paita, M. H. Rodde-Dunet et al., “Predictive factors of outcome after gastric banding: a nationwide survey on the role of center activity and patients' behavior,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 246, no. 6, pp. 1034–1039, 2007.
- B. Snyder, T. Wilson, S. Mehta et al., “Past, present, and future: critical analysis of use of gastric bands in obese patients,” Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity, vol. 3, pp. 55–65, 2010.
- R. Toussi, K. Fujioka, and K. J. Coleman, “Pre- and postsurgery behavioral compliance, patient health, and postbariatric surgical weight loss,” Obesity, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 996–1002, 2009.
- D. B. Sarwer, R. J. Dilks, and L. West-Smith, “Dietary intake and eating behavior after bariatric surgery: threats to weight loss maintenance and strategies for success,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 644–651, 2011.
- M. D. Rusch and D. Andris, “Maladaptive eating patterns after weight-loss surgery,” Nutrition in Clinical Practice, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2007.
- M. A. Kalarchian, M. D. Marcus, A. P. Courcoulas, Y. Cheng, M. D. Levine, and D. Josbeno, “Optimizing long-term weight control after bariatric surgery: a pilot study,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. In press.
- R. Saunders, “"Grazing": a high-risk behavior,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 98–102, 2004.
- S. Fischer, E. Chen, S. Katterman et al., “Emotional eating in a morbidly obese bariatric surgery-seeking population,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 778–784, 2007.
- K. B. Grothe, P. M. Dubbert, and J. R. O'Jile, “Psychological assessment and management of the weight loss surgery patient,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 331, no. 4, pp. 201–206, 2006.
- M. Zimmerman, C. Francione-Witt, I. Chelminski et al., “Presurgical psychiatric evaluations of candidates for bariatric surgery, part 1: reliability and reasons for and frequency of exclusion,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 68, no. 10, pp. 1557–1562, 2007.
- A. H. Dziurowicz-Kozlowska, Z. Wierzbicki, W. Lisik, D. Wasiak, and M. Kosieradzki, “The objective of psychological evaluation in the process of qualifying candidates for bariatric surgery,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 196–202, 2006.
- L. Canetti, E. M. Berry, and Y. Elizur, “Psychosocial predictors of weight loss and psychological adjustment following bariatric surgery and a weight-loss program: the mediating role of emotional eating,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 109–117, 2009.
- S. L. Colles, J. B. Dixon, and P. E. O'Brien, “Grazing and loss of control related to eating: two high-risk factors following bariatric surgery,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 615–622, 2008.
- N. A. Poole, A. A. Atar, D. Kuhanendran et al., “Compliance with surgical after-care following bariatric surgery for morbid obesity: a retrospective study,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 261–265, 2005.
- L. Busetto, G. Segato, F. De Marchi et al., “Outcome predictors in morbidly obese recipients of an adjustable gastric band,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 2002.
- J. K. Larsen, R. Geenen, B. Van Ramshorst et al., “Binge eating and exercise behavior after surgery for severe obesity: a structural equation model,” International Journal of Eating Disorders, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 369–375, 2006.
- J. K. Larsen, B. Van Ramshorst, R. Geenen, N. Brand, W. Stroebe, and L. J. P. Van Doornen, “Binge eating and its relationship to outcome after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 1111–1117, 2004.
- E. M. H. Mathus-Vliegen, “Long-term health and psychosocial outcomes from surgically induced weight loss: results obtained in patients not attending protocolled follow-up visits,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 299–307, 2007.
- B. E. Chesler, B. G. Harris, and P. H. Oestreicher, “Implications of emotional eating beliefs and reactance to dietary advice for the treatment of emotional eating and outcome following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass,” Clinical Case Studies, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 277–295, 2009.
- H. Zijlstra, H. van Middlendorp, L. Devaere, et al., “Emotion processing and regulation in women with morbid obesity who apply for bariatric surgery,” Psychology & Health. In press.
- T. Van Strien, J. E. Frijters, and G. P. A. Nergers, “Handleiding bij de Nederlandse Vragenlijst voor Eetgedrag N.V.E.,” Manual of the Dutch Eating Behavior Questionnaire Lisse: Swets en Zeitlinger, 1986.
- K. Ashton, L. Heinberg, A. Windover, and J. Merrell, “Positive response to binge eating intervention enhances postoperative weight loss,” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 315–320, 2011.
- S. Leite Faria, E. De Oliveira Kelly, O. Pereira Faria, and M. Kiyomi Ito, “Snack-eating patients experience lesser weight loss after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1293–1296, 2009.
- M. Deitel, K. Gawdat, and J. Melissas, “Reporting weight loss 2007,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 565–568, 2007.
- J. C. Gould, M. J. Garren, V. Boll, and J. R. Starling, “Laparoscopic gastric bypass: risks vs. benefits up to two years following surgery in super-super obese patients,” Surgery, vol. 140, no. 4, pp. 524–531, 2006.
- M. Livhits, C. Mercado, I. Yermilov et al., “Preoperative predictors of weight loss following bariatric surgery: systematic review,” Obesity Surgery. In press.
- N. T. Nguyen, J. A. Slone, X. M. T. Nguyen, J. S. Hartman, and D. B. Hoyt, “A prospective randomized trial of laparoscopic gastric bypass versus laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for the treatment of morbid obesity: outcomes, quality of life, and costs,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 250, no. 4, pp. 631–641, 2009.
- T. M. Leahey, D. S. Bond, S. R. Irwin, J. H. Crowther, and R. R. Wing, “When is the best time to deliver behavioral intervention to bariatric surgery patients: before or after surgery?” Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 99–102, 2009.
- M. Hersen, “Rationale for clinical case studies: an editorial,” Clinical Case Studies, vol. 1, pp. 3–5, 2002.