- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 420763, 3 pages
Umbilical Cord Serum Erythropoietin Levels and Maternal Smoking in Pregnancy
1Department of Pediatrics, Vakif Gureba Teaching and Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
2Department of Pediatrics, American Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Received 27 October 2011; Accepted 11 December 2011
Academic Editors: Y. Asano and J. Luño
Copyright © 2012 Soner Sazak et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Gruslin, S. L. Perkins, R. Manchanda, N. Fleming, and J. J. Clinch, “Maternal smoking and fetal erythropoietin levels,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 561–564, 2000.
- A. Jazayeri, J. C. M. Tsibris, and W. N. Spellacy, “Umbilical cord plasma erythropoietin levels in pregnancies complicated by maternal smoking,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 178, no. 3, pp. 433–435, 1998.
- M. U. Nakamura, S. M. Alexandre, J. F. K. dos Santos et al., “Obstetric and perinatal effects of active and/or passive smoking during pregnancy,” Sao Paulo Medical Journal, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. 94–98, 2004.
- E. Ostlund, H. Lindholm, A. Hemsen, and G. Fried, “Fetal erythropoietin and endothelin-1: relation to hypoxia and intrauterine growth retardation,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 276–282, 2000.
- K. A. Teramo and J. A. Widness, “Increased fetal plasma and amniotic fluid erythropoietin concentrations: markers of intrauterine hypoxia,” Neonatology, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 105–116, 2009.
- P. E. J. Voutilainen, J. A. Widness, G. K. Clemons, R. Schwartz, and K. A. Teramo, “Amniotic fluid erythropoietin predicts fetal distress in Rh-immunized pregnancies,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 429–434, 1989.
- J. A. Widness, A. F. Philipps, and G. K. Clemons, “Erythropoietin levels and erythropoiesis at birth in infants with Potter syndrome,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 117, no. 1 I, pp. 155–158, 1990.
- C. Lacombe, J. L. Da Silva, P. Bruneval et al., “Peritubular cells are the site of erythropoietin synthesis in the murine hypoxic kidney,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 620–623, 1988.
- S. Bachmann, M. Le Hir, and K. U. Eckardt, “Co-localization of erythropoietin mRNA and ecto-5'-nucleotidase immunoreactivity in peritubular cells of rat renal cortex indicates that fibroblasts produce erythropoietin,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 335–341, 1993.
- K. Steyn, T. De Wet, Y. Saloojee, H. Nel, and D. Yach, “The influence of maternal cigarette smoking, snuff use and passive smoking on pregnancy outcomes: the Birth to Ten study,” Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 90–99, 2006.
- N. G. Beratis, A. Varvarigou, M. Christophidou, P. Vassilakos, V. Tsapanos, and G. Kourounis, “Cord blood α-fetoprotein concentrations in term newborns of smoking mothers,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 158, no. 7, pp. 583–588, 1999.
- H. Bili, M. Mamopoulos, C. Tsantali et al., “Elevated umbilical erythropoietin levels during labor in newborns of smoking mothers,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 85–87, 1996.
- A. Varvarigou, N. G. Beratis, M. Makri, and A. G. Vagenakis, “Increased levels and positive correlation between erythropoietin and hemoglobin concentrations in newborn children of mothers who are smokers,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 480–482, 1994.