- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 454059, 4 pages
Antibiotic Resistance of Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhi in Kolkata, India, and In Vitro Experiments on Effect of Combined Chemotherapy
1Bacteriology and Serology Unit, Department of Microbiology, Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine, C. R. Avenue, Kolkata 700073, India
2Department of Zoology, Gour Banga University, NH-34, Mokdumpur, Malda 732103, India
3Department of Physiology and Biophysics, KPC Medical College and Hospital, Jadavpur, Kolkata 700032, India
Received 17 October 2011; Accepted 28 December 2011
Academic Editors: Q. He and P. Mastroeni
Copyright © 2012 Shyamapada Mandal et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Kothari, A. Pruthi, and T. D. Chugh, “The burden of enteric fever,” Journal of Infection in Developing Countries, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 253–259, 2008.
- J. A. Crump, S. P. Luby, and E. D. Mintz, “The global burden of typhoid fever,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 346–353, 2004.
- D. Arora, R. Singh, M. Kaur, and R. S. Ahi, “A changing pattern in antimicrobial susceptibility of Salmonella enterica serotype isolated in North India,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 197–203, 2010.
- M. R. Saha, P. Dutta, S. K. Bhattacharya et al., “Occurrence of multi-drug resistant Salmonella typhi in Calcutta,” Indian Journal of Medical Research A, vol. 95, pp. 179–180, 1992.
- R. K. Arora, A. Gupta, N. M. Joshi, V. K. Kataria, P. Lall, and A. C. Anand, “Multidrug resistant typhoid fever: study of an outbreak in Calcutta,” Indian Pediatrics, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 61–66, 1992.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards, Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disc Susceptibility Tests. Approved Standards M2-A6, National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards, Wayne Pa, USA, 7th edition, 2000.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, “Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility testings. Fifteenth informational supplement,” CLSI Document M100-S15, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pa, USA, 2005.
- R. Leclercq, E. Bingen, Q. H. Su, N. Lambert-Zechovski, P. Courvalin, and J. Duval, “Effects of combinations of β-lactams, daptomycin, gentamycin and glycopeptides against glycopeptide resistant Enterococci,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 92–98, 1991.
- J. H. Tran and G. A. Jacoby, “Mechanism of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 8, pp. 5638–5642, 2002.
- M. A. Mushtaq, “What after ciprofloxacin and ceftriaxone in treatment of Salmonella typhi,” Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 51–54, 2006.
- B. Sen, S. Dutta, D. Sur et al., “Phage typing, biotyping and antimicrobial resistance profile of Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi from Kolkata,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 685–688, 2007.
- A. Kapil, Renuka, and B. Das, “Nalidixic acid susceptibility test to screen ciprofloxacin resistance in Salmonella typhi,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 115, pp. 49–54, 2002.