- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 471417, 10 pages
The Future of Butyric Acid in Industry
1School of Nano-Bioscience and Chemical Engineering, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, Ulsan, Republic of Korea
2New Renewable Energy Lab, SK Innovation Global Technology, Seoul, Republic of Korea
3Department of Applied Chemical Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Received 31 October 2011; Accepted 11 January 2012
Academic Editors: S. Cuzzocrea and J. Sanchez
Copyright © 2012 Mohammed Dwidar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Demirbas, “Biofuels securing the planet's future energy needs,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 2239–2249, 2009.
- J. Ebert, “Biobutanol: the next big biofuel,” Biomass Magazine, 2008.
- D. Wu, H. Chen, L. Jiang, J. Cai, Z. Xu, and P. Cen, “Efficient separation of butyric acid by an aqueous two-phase system with calcium chloride,” Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 533–537, 2010.
- Z. X. Chen and T. R. Breitman, “Tributyrin: a prodrug of butyric acid for potential clinical application in differentiation therapy,” Cancer Research, vol. 54, no. 13, pp. 3494–3499, 1994.
- A. Rephaeli, R. Zhuk, and A. Nudelman, “Prodrugs of butyric acid from bench to bedside: synthetic design, mechanisms of action, and clinical applications,” Drug Development Research, vol. 50, no. 3-4, pp. 379–391, 2000.
- H. M. Hamer, D. Jonkers, K. Venema, S. Vanhoutvin, F. J. Troost, and R. J. Brummer, “Review article: the role of butyrate on colonic function,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 104–119, 2008.
- J. Leavitt, J. C. Barrett, B. D. Crawford, and P. O. P. Ts'o, “Butyric acid suppression of the in vitro neoplastic state of Syrian hamster cells,” Nature, vol. 271, no. 5642, pp. 262–265, 1978.
- Y. Cao, H. Q. Li, and J. Zhang, “Homogeneous synthesis and characterization of cellulose acetate butyrate (CAB) in 1-Allyl-3-methylimidazolium chloride (AmimCl) ionic liquid,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 50, no. 13, pp. 7808–7814, 2011.
- C. Zhang, H. Yang, F. Yang, and Y. Ma, “Current progress on butyric acid production by fermentation,” Current Microbiology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 656–663, 2009.
- E. El-Shafee, G. R. Saad, and S. M. Fahmy, “Miscibility, crystallization and phase structure of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate)/cellulose acetate butyrate blends,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 2091–2104, 2001.
- D. W. Armstrong and H. Yamazaki, “Natural flavours production: a biotechnological approach,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 264–267, 1986.
- C. Shu, J. Cai, L. Huang, X. Zhu, and Z. Xu, “Biocatalytic production of ethyl butyrate from butyric acid with immobilized Candida rugosa lipase on cotton cloth,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 72, no. 3-4, pp. 139–144, 2011.
- R. Cascone, “Biobutanol—a replacement for bioethanol?” Chemical Engineering Progress, vol. 104, no. 8, pp. S4–S9, 2008.
- J. Zigova and E. SturdIk, “Advances in biotechnological production of butyric acid,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 153–160, 2000.
- D. Vandak, M. Tomaška, J. Zigova, and E. SturdIk, “Effect of growth supplements and whey pretreatment on butyric acid production by Clostridium butyricum,” World Journal of Microbiology & Biotechnology, vol. 11, no. 3, p. 363, 1995.
- J. Zigova, E. SturdIk, D. Vandak, and S. Schlosser, “Butyric acid production by Clostridium butyricum with integrated extraction and pertraction,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 835–843, 1999.
- G. Q. He, Q. Kong, Q. H. Chen, and H. Ruan, “Batch and fed-batch production of butyric acid by Clostridium butyricum ZJUCB,” Journal of Zhejiang University, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 1076–1080, 2005.
- F. Fayolle, R. Marchal, and D. Ballerini, “Effect of controlled substrate feeding on butyric acid production by Clostridium tyrobutyricum,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 179–183, 1990.
- J. H. Jo, D. S. Lee, J. Kim, and J. M. Park, “Effect of initial glucose concentrations on carbon and energy balances in hydrogen-producing Clostridium tyrobutyricum JM1,” Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 291–298, 2009.
- L. Jiang, J. Wang, S. Liang, X. Wang, P. Cen, and Z. Xu, “Production of butyric acid from glucose and xylose with immobilized cells of clostridium tyrobutyricum in a fibrous-bed bioreactor,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 350–359, 2010.
- X. Liu, Y. Zhu, and S. T. Yang, “Butyric acid and hydrogen production by Clostridium tyrobutyricum ATCC 25755 and mutants,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 38, no. 3-4, pp. 521–528, 2006.
- Z. T. Wu and S. T. Yang, “Extractive fermentation for butyric acid production from glucose by Clostridium tyrobutyricum,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 93–102, 2003.
- R. J. Mitchell, J. S. Kim, B. S. Jeon, and B. I. Sang, “Continuous hydrogen and butyric acid fermentation by immobilized Clostridium tyrobutyricum ATCC 25755: effects of the glucose concentration and hydraulic retention time,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 100, no. 21, pp. 5352–5355, 2009.
- D. Michel-Savin, R. Marchal, and J. P. Vandecasteele, “Butyric fermentation: metabolic behaviour and production performance of Clostridium tyrobutyricum in a continuous culture with cell recycle,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 172–177, 1990.
- F. Canganella and J. Wiegel, “Continuous cultivation of Clostridium thermobutyricum in a rotary fermentor system,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 2000.
- M. P. Bryant and L. A. Burkey, “The characteristics of lactate-fermenting sporeforming anaerobes from silage,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 43–46, 1956.
- T. Gibson, “Clostridia in Silage,” Journal of Applied Bacteriology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 56–62, 1965.
- J. Wiegel, S. U. Kuk, and G. W. Kohring, “Clostridium thermobutyricum sp. nov., a moderate thermophile isolated from a cellulolytic culture, that produces butyrate as the major product,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 199–204, 1989.
- S. Alam, D. Stevens, and R. Bajpai, “Production of butyric acid by batch fermentation of cheese whey with Clostridium beijerinckii,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 359–364, 1988.
- G. B. Patel and B. J. Agnew, “Growth and butyric acid production by Clostridium pupuleti,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 267–271, 1988.
- J. Huang, J. Cai, J. Wang et al., “Efficient production of butyric acid from Jerusalem artichoke by immobilized Clostridium tyrobutyricum in a fibrous-bed bioreactor,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 3923–3926, 2011.
- D. Michel-Savin, R. Marchal, and J. P. Vandecasteele, “Control of the selectivity of butyric acid production and improvement of fermentation performance with Clostridium tyrobutyricum,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 387–392, 1990.
- W. Li, H. J. Han, and C. H. Zhang, “Continuous butyric acid production by corn stalk immobilized Clostridium thermobutyricum cells,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 661–666, 2011.
- S. Saint-Amans, L. Girbal, J. Andrade, K. Ahrens, and P. Soucaille, “Regulation of carbon and electron flow in Clostridium butyricum VPI 3266 grown on glucose-glycerol mixtures,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 183, no. 5, pp. 1748–1754, 2001.
- H. Huang, H. Liu, and Y. R. Gan, “Genetic modification of critical enzymes and involved genes in butanol biosynthesis from biomass,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 651–657, 2010.
- J. G. Van Andel, G. R. Zoutberg, P. M. Crabbendam, and A. M. Breure, “Glucose fermentation by Clostridium butyricum grown under a self generated gas atmosphere in chemostat culture,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 21–26, 1985.
- F. Canganella, S. U. Kuk, H. Morgan, and J. Wiegel, “Clostridium thermobutyricum: growth studies and stimulation of butyrate formation by acetate supplementation,” Microbiological Research, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 149–156, 2002.
- D. Michel-Savin, R. Marchal, and J. P. Vandecasteele, “Butyrate production in continuous culture of Clostridium tyrobutyricum: effect of end-product inhibition,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 127–131, 1990.
- C. K. Chen and H. P. Blaschek, “Effect of acetate on molecular and physiological aspects of Clostridium beijerinckii NCIMB 8052 solvent production and strain degeneration,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 499–505, 1999.
- A. L. A. Soh, H. Ralambotiana, B. Ollivier, G. Prensier, E. Tine, and J. L. Garcia, “Clostridium thermopalmarium sp. nov., a moderately thermophilic butyrate-producing bacterium isolated from palm wine in Senegal,” Systematic and Applied Microbiology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 135–139, 1991.
- A. Geng, Y. He, C. Qian, X. Yan, and Z. Zhou, “Effect of key factors on hydrogen production from cellulose in a co-culture of Clostridium thermocellum and Clostridium thermopalmarium,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 11, pp. 4029–4033, 2010.
- J. S. Smith, A. J. Hillier, and G. J. Lees, “The nature of the stimulation of the growth of Streptococcus lactis by yeast extract,” Journal of Dairy Research, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 123–138, 1975.
- A. Reimann, H. Biebl, and W. D. Deckwer, “Influence of iron, phosphate and methyl viologen on glycerol fermentation of Clostridium butyricum,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 45, no. 1-2, pp. 47–50, 1996.
- R. Twarog and R. S. Wolfe, “Enzymatic phosphorylation of butyrate,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 237, no. 8, pp. 2474–2477, 1962.
- S. Peguin and P. Soucaille, “Modulation of carbon and electron flow in Clostridium acetobutylicum by iron limitation and methyl viologen addition,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 403–405, 1995.
- R. J. Lamed, J. H. Lobos, and T. M. Su, “Effects of stirring and hydrogen on fermentation products of Clostridium thermocellum,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 1216–1221, 1988.
- R. Datta and J. G. Zeikus, “Modulation of acetone-butanol-ethanol fermentation by carbon monoxide and organic acids,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 522–529, 1985.
- J. H. Jo, C. O. Jeon, S. Y. Lee, D. S. Lee, and J. M. Park, “Molecular characterization and homologous overexpression of [FeFe]-hydrogenase in Clostridium tyrobutyricum JM1,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 1065–1073, 2010.
- V. H. Edwards, “The influence of high substrate concentrations on microbial kinetics,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 679–712, 1970.
- P. J. Henderson, “Ion transport by energy-conserving biological membranes,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 25, pp. 393–428, 1971.
- A. P. Zeng, A. Ross, H. Biebl, C. Tag, B. Gunzel, and W. D. Deckwer, “Multiple product inhibition and growth modeling of Clostridium butyricum and Klebsiella pneumoniae in glycerol fermentation,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 902–911, 1994.
- F. Baut, M. Fick, M. L. Viriot, J. C. Andre, and J. M. Engasser, “Investigation of acetone butanol-ethanol fermentation by fluorescence,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 551–555, 1994.
- K. Hanaki, S. Hirunmasuwan, and T. Matsuo, “Selective use of microorganisms in anaerobic treatment processes by application of immobilization,” Water Research, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 993–996, 1994.
- Y. L. Huang, Z. Wu, L. Zhang, C. Ming Cheung, and S. T. Yang, “Production of carboxylic acids from hydrolyzed corn meal by immobilized cell fermentation in a fibrous-bed bioreactor,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2002.
- X. Liu and S. T. Yang, “Kinetics of butyric acid fermentation of glucose and xylose by Clostridium tyrobutyricum wild type and mutant,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 801–808, 2006.
- L. Jiang, J. Wang, S. Liang et al., “Enhanced butyric acid tolerance and bioproduction by Clostridium tyrobutyricum immobilized in a fibrous bed bioreactor,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 31–40, 2011.
- A. Freeman, J. M. Woodley, and M. D. Lilly, “In situ product removal as a tool for bioprocessing,” Bio/Technology, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1007–1012, 1993.
- P. Boyaval, J. Seta, and C. Gavach, “Concentrated propionic acid production by electrodialysis,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 683–686, 1993.
- V. Habova, K. Melzoch, M. Rychtera, and B. Sekavova, “Electrodialysis as a useful technique for lactic acid separation from a model solution and a fermentation broth,” Desalination, vol. 162, no. 1–3, pp. 361–372, 2004.
- S. T. Zhang, H. Matsuoka, and K. Toda, “Production and recovery of propionic and acetic acids in electrodialysis culture of Propionibacterium shermanii,” Journal of Fermentation and Bioengineering, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 276–282, 1993.
- A. H. Mollah and D. C. Stuckey, “Maximizing the production of acetone-butanol in an alginate bead fluidized bed reactor using Clostridium acetobutylicum,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 83–89, 1993.
- I. S. Maddox, “Use of silicalite for the adsorption of n-butanol from fermentation liquors,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 759–760, 1982.
- A. B. Thompson, S. J. Cope, T. D. Swift, et al., “Adsorption of n-butanol from dilute aqueous solution with grafted calixarenes,” Langmuir, vol. 27, no. 19, pp. 11990–11998, 2011.
- A. Inoue and K. Horikoshi, “Estimation of solvent-tolerance of bacteria by the solvent parameter log P,” Journal of Fermentation and Bioengineering, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 194–196, 1991.
- H. Tanaka, S. Harada, H. Kurosawa, and M. Yajima, “Immobilized Cell System with Protection against Toxic Solvents,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 22–30, 1987.
- H. Kapucu and u. Mehmetoglu, “Strategies for reducing solvent toxicity in extractive ethanol fermentation,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology A, vol. 75, no. 2-3, pp. 205–214, 1998.
- V. M. Yabannavar and D. I. C. Wang, “Strategies for reducing solvent toxicity in extractive fermentations,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 716–722, 1991.
- J. Zigova, D. Vandak, S. Schlosser, and E. Sturdik, “Extraction equilibria of butyric acid with organic solvents,” Separation Science and Technology, vol. 31, no. 19, pp. 2671–2684, 1996.
- D. Vandak, J. Zigova, E. SturdIk, and S. Schlosser, “Evaluation of solvent and pH for extractive fermentation of butyric acid,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 245–251, 1997.
- M. Bilgin, C. Arisoy, and I. KirbaIlar, “Extraction equilibria of propionic and butyric acids with tri-n-octylphosphine oxide/diluent systems,” Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 3008–3013, 2009.
- A. Keshav, K. L. Wasewar, and S. Chand, “Extraction of acrylic, propionic and butyric acid using aliquat 336 in oleyl alcohol: equilibria and effect of temperature,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 888–893, 2009.
- H. Shity and R. Bar, “New approach for selective separation of dilute products from simulated clostridial fermentation broths using cyclodextrins,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 462–466, 1992.
- P. J. Brumm and R. Datta, Production of Organic Acids by an Improved Fermentation Process, US, 1989.
- R. Sillers, A. Chow, B. Tracy, and E. T. Papoutsakis, “Metabolic engineering of the non-sporulating, non-solventogenic Clostridium acetobutylicum strain M5 to produce butanol without acetone demonstrate the robustness of the acid-formation pathways and the importance of the electron balance,” Metabolic Engineering, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 321–332, 2008.
- J. J. Chang, C. H. Chou, C. Y. Ho, W. E. Chen, J. J. Lay, and C. C. Huang, “Syntrophic co-culture of aerobic Bacillus and anaerobic Clostridium for bio-fuels and bio-hydrogen production,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 33, no. 19, pp. 5137–5146, 2008.
- H. T. M. Tran, B. Cheirsilp, B. Hodgson, and K. Umsakul, “Potential use of Bacillus subtilis in a co-culture with Clostridium butylicum for acetone-butanol-ethanol production from cassava starch,” Biochemical Engineering Journal, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 260–267, 2010.
- D. Druaux, G. Mangeot, A. Endrizzi, and J. M. Belin, “Bacterial bioconversion of primary aliphatic and aromatic alcohols into acids: effects of molecular structure and physico-chemical conditions,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 214–218, 1997.
- J. Svitel and E. SturdIk, “n-Propanol conversion to propionic acid by Gluconobacter oxydans,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 546–550, 1995.