- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 532141, 6 pages
Leukoaraiosis Is a Chronic Atherosclerotic Disease
1Department of Neurology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, 6 Weizman Street, 64239 Tel Aviv, Israel
2Neurology Clinic, Clinical Center of Serbia and School of Medicine University of Belgrade, Dr Subotica 6, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Received 9 January 2012; Accepted 19 February 2012
Academic Editors: C. Capurso and J. Gnarpe
Copyright © 2012 Einor Ben-Assayag et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. C. Hackinski, P. Potter, and H. Merskey, “Leuko-araiosis,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 21–23, 1987.
- L. Pantoni and J. H. Garcia, “The significance of cerebral white matter abnormalities 100 years after Binswanger's report: A review,” Stroke, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1293–1301, 1995.
- D. Liao, L. Cooper, J. Cai et al., “Presence and severity of cerebral white matter lesions and hypertension, its treatment, and its control: The ARIC study,” Stroke, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 2262–2270, 1996.
- F. E. De Leeuw, J. C. De Groot, E. Achten et al., “Prevalence of cerebral white matter lesions in elderly people: A population based magnetic resonance imaging study. The Rotterdam Scan Study,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2001.
- L. Pantoni, M. Simoni, G. Pracucci, R. Schmidt, F. Barkhof, and D. Inzitari, “Visual rating scales for age-related white matter changes (leukoaraiosis): Can the heterogeneity be reduced?” Stroke, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2827–2833, 2002.
- T. Patankar, E. Widjaja, H. Chant et al., “Relationship of deep white matter hyperintensities and cerebral blood flow in severe carotid artery stenosis,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 10–16, 2006.
- S. Koton, Y. Schwammenthal, O. Merzeliak et al., “Cerebral leukoaraiosis in patients with stroke or TIA: Clinical correlates and 1-year outcome,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 218–225, 2009.
- T. A. Manolio, G. L. Burke, D. H. O'Leary, et al., “Relationships of cerebral MRI findings to ultrasonographic carotid atherosclerosis in older adults : the Cardiovascular Health Study. CHS Collaborative Research Group,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 19, pp. 356–365, 1999.
- F. E. De Leeuw, J. C. De Groot, M. L. Bots et al., “Carotid atherosclerosis and cerebral white matter lesions in a population based magnetic resonance imaging study,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 247, no. 4, pp. 291–296, 2000.
- R. Ross, “Atherosclerosis - An inflammatory disease,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 2, pp. 115–126, 1999.
- E. J. Van Dijk, N. D. Prins, S. E. Vermeer et al., “C-reactive protein and cerebral small-vessel disease: The Rotterdam scan study,” Circulation, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 900–905, 2005.
- H. P. Adams, B. H. Bendixen, L. J. Kappelle et al., “Classification of subtype of acute ischemic stroke: Definitions for use in a multicenter clinical trial,” Stroke, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 1993.
- T. Brott, H. P. Adams, C. P. Olinger et al., “Measurements of acute cerebral infarction: A clinical examination scale,” Stroke, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 864–870, 1989.
- L. O. Wahlund, F. Barkhof, F. Fazekas et al., “A new rating scale for age-related white matter changes applicable to MRI and CT,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1318–1322, 2001.
- K. Blennow, A. Wallin, C. Uhlemann, and C. G. Gottfries, “White-matter lesions on CT in Alzheimer patients: relation to clinical symptomatology and vascular factors,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 187–193, 1991.
- C. S. Fox, M. G. Larson, D. Corey et al., “Absence of association between polymorphisms in the hemostatic factor pathway genes and carotid intimal medial thickness: the Framingham Heart Study,” Stroke; a journal of cerebral circulation, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. e65–67, 2004.
- P. J. Touboul, M. G. Hennerici, S. Meairs et al., “Mannheim carotid intima-media thickness consensus (2004–2006): an update on behalf of the advisory board of the 3rd and 4th Watching the Risk Symposium 13th and 15th European Stroke Conferences, Mannheim, Germany, 2004, and Brussels, Belgium, 2006,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 75–80, 2007.
- J. I. Cleeman, “Executive summary of the third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III),” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 285, no. 19, pp. 2486–2497, 2001.
- M. M. B. Breteler, J. C. Van Swieten, M. L. Bots et al., “Cerebral white matter lesions, vascular risk factors, and cognitive function in a population-based study: The Rotterdam study,” Neurology, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 1246–1252, 1994.
- F. Pico, C. Dufouil, C. Lévy et al., “Longitudinal study of carotid atherosclerosis and white matter hyperintensities: The EVA-MRI cohort,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 109–115, 2002.
- I. A. Awad, P. C. Johnson, R. F. Spetzler, and J. A. Hodak, “Incidental subcortical lesions identified on magnetic resonance imaging in the elderly. II. Postmortem pathological correlations,” Stroke, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1090–1097, 1986.
- L. Pantoni, M. Simoni, G. Pracucci, R. Schmidt, F. Barkhof, and D. Inzitari, “Visual rating scales for age-related white matter changes (leukoaraiosis): can the heterogeneity be reduced?” Stroke, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 2827–2833, 2002.
- P. Scheltens, T. Erkinjunti, D. Leys et al., “White matter changes on CT and MRI: An overview of visual rating scales,” European Neurology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 80–89, 1998.