- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 560142, 9 pages
Effect of a Novel Nonviral Gene Delivery of BMP-2 on Bone Healing
1Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery and Julius Wolff Institute, Charité-University Medicine Berlin, Campus Virchow, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
2Institute for Experimental Oncology and Therapy, Technical University Munich, 81675 Munich, Germany
3Department for Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Heidelberg, 69118 Heidelberg, Germany
4Berlin-Brandenburg Center for Regenerative Therapies, Charité-University Medicine Berlin, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Received 2 August 2012; Accepted 30 September 2012
Academic Editors: A. Bandyopadhyay and M. Deng
Copyright © 2012 P. Schwabe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. R. Urist and F. C. McLean, “Calcification and Ossification I. Calcification in the callus in healing fractures in normal rats,” The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, vol. 23, pp. 1–16, 1941.
- V. Alt, S. T. Donell, A. Chhabra, A. Bentley, A. Eicher, and R. Schnettler, “A health economic analysis of the use of rhBMP-2 in Gustilo-Anderson grade III open tibial fractures for the UK, Germany, and France,” Injury, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 1269–1275, 2009.
- S. Govender, C. Csimma, H. K. Genant et al., “Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 for treatment of open tibial fractures a prospective, controlled, randomized study of four hundred and fifty patients,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 84, no. 12, pp. 2123–2134, 2002.
- A. Valentin-Opran, J. Wozney, C. Csimma, L. Lilly, and G. E. Riedel, “Clinical evaluation of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 395, pp. 110–120, 2002.
- A. R. Vaccaro, D. G. Anderson, T. Patel et al., “Comparison of OP-1 putty (rhBMP-7) to iliac crest autograft for posterolateral lumbar arthrodesis: a minimum 2-year follow-up pilot study,” Spine, vol. 30, no. 24, pp. 2709–2716, 2005.
- M. S. Virk, A. Conduah, S. H. Park et al., “Influence of short-term adenoviral vector and prolonged lentiviral vector mediated bone morphogenetic protein-2 expression on the quality of bone repair in a rat femoral defect model,” Bone, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 921–931, 2008.
- J. Bonadio, E. Smiley, P. Patil, and S. Goldstein, “Localized, direct plasmid gene delivery in vivo: prolonged therapy results in reproducible tissue regeneration,” Nature Medicine, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 753–759, 1999.
- K. Otani, I. Nita, W. Macaulay, H. I. Georgescu, P. D. Robbins, and C. H. Evans, “Suppression of antigen-induced arthritis in rabbits by ex vivo gene therapy,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 156, no. 9, pp. 3558–3562, 1996.
- Y. Okubo, K. Bessho, K. Fujimura, T. Iizuka, and S. I. Miyatake, “In vitro and in vivo studies of a bone morphogenetic protein-2 expressing adenoviral vector,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 83, supplement 1, part 2, pp. S99–S104, 2001.
- D. S. Musgrave, P. Bosch, S. Ghivizzani, P. D. Robbins, C. H. Evans, and J. Huard, “Adenovirus-mediated direct gene therapy with bone morphogenetic protein-2 produces bone,” Bone, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 541–547, 1999.
- A. W. A. Baltzer, C. Lattermann, J. D. Whalen et al., “Genetic enhancement of fracture repair: healing of an experimental segmental defect by adenoviral transfer of the BMP-2 gene,” Gene Therapy, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 734–739, 2000.
- M. Egermann, C. A. Lill, K. Griesbeck et al., “Effect of BMP-2 gene transfer on bone healing in sheep,” Gene Therapy, vol. 13, no. 17, pp. 1290–1299, 2006.
- O. B. Betz, V. M. Betz, A. Nazarian et al., “Direct percutaneous gene delivery to enhance healing of segmental bone defects,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 355–365, 2006.
- G. Pelled, A. Ben-Arav, C. Hock et al., “Direct gene therapy for bone regeneration: gene gelivery, animal models, and outcome measures,” Tissue Engineering B, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 2010.
- R. G. Crystal, “Transfer of genes to humans: early lessons and obstacles to success,” Science, vol. 270, no. 5235, pp. 404–410, 1995.
- W. F. Anderson, “Human gene therapy,” Nature, vol. 392, no. 6679, pp. 25–30, 1998.
- J. M. Wilson, “Molecular medicine: adenoviruses as gene-delivery vehicles,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 334, no. 18, pp. 1185–1187, 1996.
- H. Herweijer and J. A. Wolff, “Progress and prospects: naked DNA gene transfer and therapy,” Gene Therapy, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 453–458, 2003.
- S. A. L. Audouy, L. F. M. H. de Leij, D. Hoekstra, and G. Molema, “In vivo characteristics of cationic liposomes as delivery vectors for gene therapy,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1599–1605, 2002.
- I. Ono, T. Yamashita, H. Y. Jin et al., “Combination of porous hydroxyapatite and cationic liposomes as a vector for BMP-2 gene therapy,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 19, pp. 4709–4718, 2004.
- D. J. Wells, “Gene therapy progress and prospects: electroporation and other physical methods,” Gene Therapy, vol. 11, no. 18, pp. 1363–1369, 2004.
- B. C. Carofino and J. R. Lieberman, “Gene therapy applications for fracture-healing,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 90, supplement 1, pp. 99–110, 2008.
- D. Hannallah, B. Peterson, J. R. Lieberman, F. H. Fu, and J. Huard, “Gene therapy in orthopaedic surgery,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 1046–1061, 2002.
- U. Schillinger, G. Wexel, C. Hacker et al., “A fibrin glue composition as carrier for nucleic acid vectors,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2946–2962, 2008.
- F. Scherer, U. Schillinger, U. Putz, A. Stemberger, and C. Plank, “Nonviral vector loaded collagen sponges for sustained gene delivery in vitro and in vivo,” Journal of Gene Medicine, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 634–643, 2002.
- D. Finsinger, J. S. Remy, P. Erbacher, C. Koch, and C. Plank, “Protective copolymers for nonviral gene vectors: synthesis, vector characterization and application in gene delivery,” Gene Therapy, vol. 7, no. 14, pp. 1183–1192, 2000.
- G. Schmidmaier, B. Wildemann, A. Stemberger, N. P. Haas, and M. Raschke, “Biodegradable poly(D,L-lactide) coating of implants for continuous release of growth factors,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 449–455, 2001.
- A. Wetterwald, W. Hofstetter, M. G. Cecchini et al., “Characterization and cloning of the E11 antigen, a marker expressed by rat osteoblasts and osteocytes,” Bone, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 125–132, 1996.
- G. Schmidmaier, B. Wildemann, B. Melis et al., “Development and characterization of a standard closed tibial fracture model in the rat,” European Journal of Trauma, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2004.
- A. M. Parfitt, M. K. Drezner, F. H. Glorieux et al., “Bone histomorphometry: standardization of nomenclature, symbols, and units. Report of the ASBMR Histomorphometry Nomenclature Committee,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 595–610, 1987.
- G. E. Friedlaender, C. R. Perry, J. D. Cole et al., “Osteogenic protein-1 (bone morphogenetic protein-7) in the treatment of tibial nonunions: a prospective, randomized clinical trial comparing rhOP-1 with fresh bone autograft,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 83, supplement 1, part 2, pp. S1151–S1158, 2001.
- J. R. Lieberman, A. Daluiski, and T. A. Einhorn, “The role of growth factors in the repair of bone biology and clinical applications,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 1032–1044, 2002.
- S. C. Gamradt, N. Abe, M. E. Bahamonde et al., “Tracking expression of virally mediated BMP-2 in gene therapy for bone repair,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 450, pp. 238–245, 2006.
- R. T. Franceschi, D. Wang, P. H. Krebsbach, and R. B. Rutherford, “Gene therapy for bone formation: in vitro and in vivo osteogenic activity of an adenovirus expressing BMP7,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 78, pp. 476–486, 2000.
- M. E. Barry, D. Pinto-González, F. M. Orson, G. J. McKenzie, G. R. Petry, and M. A. Barry, “Role of endogenous endonucleases and tissue site in transfection and CpG-mediated immune activation after naked DNA injection,” Human Gene Therapy, vol. 10, no. 15, pp. 2461–2480, 1999.
- J. Fang, Y. Y. Zhu, E. Smiley et al., “Stimulation of new bone formation by direct transfer of osteogenic plasmid genes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 12, pp. 5753–5758, 1996.
- A. Ishihara, K. M. Shields, A. S. Litsky et al., “Osteogenic gene regulation and relative acceleration of healing by adenoviral-mediated transfer of human BMP-2 or -6 in equine osteotomy and ostectomy models,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 764–771, 2008.
- A. W. Baltzer, C. Lattermann, J. D. Whalen, S. Braunstein, P. D. Robbins, and C. H. Evans, “A gene therapy approach to accelerating bone healing. Evaluation of gene expression in a New Zealand white rabbit model,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 197–202, 1999.
- G. Schmidmaier, B. Wildemann, F. Cromme, F. Kandziora, N. P. Haas, and M. Raschke, “Bone morphogenetic protein-2 coating of titanium implants increases biomechanical strength and accelerates bone remodeling in fracture treatment: a biomechanical and histological study in rats,” Bone, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 816–822, 2002.