- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 598653, 5 pages
Does Thrombocyte Size Give Us an Idea about Thrombocytosis Etiology?
1Department of Hematology, Faculty of Medicine, Baskent University, 06490 Ankara, Turkey
2Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
3Hematology Laboratory, Faculty of Medicine, Baskent University, 06490 Ankara, Turkey
4Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Ankara Training and Research Hospital, 06080 Ankara, Turkey
Received 4 July 2012; Accepted 22 August 2012
Academic Editors: A. Guerrasio and I. Lorand-Metze
Copyright © 2012 Selami Kocak Toprak et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Kaushansky, “The molecular mechanisms that control thrombopoiesis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 12, pp. 3339–3347, 2005.
- K. Kaushansky, “Reactive thrombocytosis,” in Williams Hematology, K. Kaushansky, M. A. Lichtman, E. Beutler, et al., Eds., pp. 1929–1932, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 8th edition, 2010.
- P. A. Beer, W. N. Erber, P. J. Campbell, and A. R. Green, “How I treat essential thrombocythemia,” Blood, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 1472–1482, 2011.
- A. Tefferi and J. W. Vardiman, “Classification and diagnosis of myeloproliferative neoplasms: the 2008 World Health Organization criteria and point-of-care diagnostic algorithms,” Leukemia, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 14–22, 2008.
- E. Beutler, “Disorders of iron metabolism,” in Williams Hematology, K. Kaushansky, M. A. Lichtman, E. Beutler, et al., Eds., pp. 565–606, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 8th edition, 2010.
- J. C. Osselaer, J. Jamart, and J. M. Scheiff, “Platelet distribution width for differential diagnosis of thrombocytosis,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1072–1076, 1997.
- E. Sehayek, N. Ben-Yosef, M. Modan, A. Chetrit, and D. Meytes, “Platelet parameters and aggregation in essential and reactive thrombocytosis,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 431–436, 1988.
- B. M. Small and R. E. Bettigole, “Diagnosis of myeloproliferative disease by analysis of the platelet volume distribution,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 685–691, 1981.
- J. L. Miller, “Blood platelets,” in Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods, J. B. Henry, Ed., pp. 632–641, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 20th edition, 2001.
- S. S. Graham, B. Traub, and I. B. Mink, “Automated platelet-sizing parameters on a normal population,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 365–369, 1987.
- J. D. Bessman, “The relation of megakaryocyte ploidy to platelet volume,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 161–170, 1984.
- J. Van Der Lelie and A. K. R. Von Dem Borne, “Platelet volume analysis for differential diagnosis of thrombocytosis,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 129–133, 1986.
- J. Levin and J. D. Bessman, “The inverse relation between platelet volume and platelet number. Abnormalities in hematologic disease and evidence that platelet size does not correlate with platelet age,” Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 295–307, 1983.
- G. Y. Hu, M. Y. Deng, G. S. Zhang, Y. Y. Luo, and J. F. Zhu, “The frequency of JAK2 V617F mutation, expression level of phosphorylated JAK/STATs proteins and their clinical significance in myeloproliferative disorders patients,” Zhonghua Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 394–398, 2009.
- P. G. Heller, P. R. Lev, J. P. Salim et al., “JAK2V617F mutation in platelets from essential thrombocythemia patients: correlation with clinical features and analysis of STAT5 phosphorylation status,” European Journal of Haematology, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 210–216, 2006.
- M. L. Randi, E. Ruzzon, F. Tezza et al., “JAK2V617F mutation is common in old patients with polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia,” Aging, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 17–21, 2011.
- K. Abdulkarim, B. Ridell, P. Johansson, J. Kutti, S. Safai-Kutti, and B. Andréasson, “The impact of peripheral blood values and bone marrow findings on prognosis for patients with essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera,” European Journal of Haematology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 148–155, 2011.
- A. Carobbio, E. Antonioli, P. Guglielmelli et al., “Leukocytosis and risk stratification assessment in essential thrombocythemia,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 16, pp. 2732–2736, 2008.