- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 605610, 15 pages
Robust Optimization of Alginate-Carbopol 940 Bead Formulations
1Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Seville, C/ Professor García González 2, 41012 Seville, Spain
2Department of Industrial Management, School of Engineering, University of Seville, C/ Camino de los Descubrimientos s/n, 41092 Seville, Spain
Received 31 October 2011; Accepted 8 December 2011
Academic Editor: Ali Nokhodchi
Copyright © 2012 J. M. López-Cacho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. I. Draget, “Alginates,” in Handbook of Hydrocolloids, G. O. Philips and P. A. Williams, Eds., pp. 379–395, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK, 2000.
- G. Orive, S. Ponce, R. M. Hernández, A. R. Gascón, M. Igartua, and J. L. Pedraz, “Biocompatibility of microcapsules for cell immobilization elaborated with different type of alginates,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 18, pp. 3825–3831, 2002.
- M. George and T. E. Abraham, “Polyionic hydrocolloids for the intestinal delivery of protein drugs: alginate and chitosan—a review,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2006.
- Y. S. Kim, H. W. Kim, S. H. Lee, K. S. Shin, H. W. Hur, and Y. H. Rhee, “Preparation of alginate-quaternary ammonium complex beads and evaluation of their antimicrobial activity,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 36–41, 2007.
- G. W. Vandenberg, C. Drolet, S. L. Scott, and J. de la Noüe, “Factors affecting protein release from alginate-chitosan coacervate microcapsules during production and gastric/intestinal simulation,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 297–307, 2001.
- M. L. González-Rodríguez, M. A. Holgado, C. Sánchez-Lafuente, A. M. Rabasco, and A. Fini, “Alginate/chitosan particulate systems for sodium diclofenac release,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 232, no. 1-2, pp. 225–234, 2002.
- R. S. Al-Kassas, O. M. N. Al-Gohary, and M. M. Al-Faadhel, “Controlling of systemic absorption of gliclazide through incorporation into alginate beads,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 341, no. 1-2, pp. 230–237, 2007.
- M. K. E. McEntee, S. K. Bhatia, L. Tao, S. C. Roberts, and S. R. Bhatia, “Tunable transport of glucose through ionically-crosslinked alginate gels: effect of alginate and calcium concentration,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 2956–2962, 2008.
- F. Gu, B. Amsden, and R. Neufeld, “Sustained delivery of vascular endothelial growth factor with alginate beads,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 463–472, 2004.
- T. Pongjanyakul and S. Puttipipatkhachorn, “Xanthan-alginate composite gel beads: molecular interaction and in vitro characterization,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 331, no. 1, pp. 61–71, 2007.
- S. Hua, H. Ma, X. Li, H. Yang, and A. Wang, “pH-sensitive sodium alginate/poly(vinyl alcohol) hydrogel beads prepared by combined Ca2+ crosslinking and freeze-thawing cycles for controlled release of diclofenac sodium,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 517–523, 2010.
- M. González Ferreiro, L. Tillman, G. Hardee, and R. Bodmeier, “Characterization of alginate/poly-L-lysine particles as antisense oligonucleotide carriers,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 239, no. 1-2, pp. 47–59, 2002.
- M. S. Kim, G. D. Park, S. W. Jun, S. Lee, J. S. Park, and S. J. Hwang, “Controlled release tamsulosin hydrochloride from alginate beads with waxy materials,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 57, no. 12, pp. 1521–1528, 2005.
- T. Pongjanyakul, S. Sungthongjeen, and S. Puttipipatkhachorn, “Modulation of drug release from glyceryl palmitostearate-alginate beads via heat treatment,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 319, no. 1-2, pp. 20–28, 2006.
- S. Puttipipatkhachorn, T. Pongjanyakul, and A. Priprem, “Molecular interaction in alginate beads reinforced with sodium starch glycolate or magnesium aluminum silicate, and their physical characteristics,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 293, no. 1-2, pp. 51–62, 2005.
- C. M. Silva, A. J. Ribeiro, D. Ferreira, and F. Veiga, “Insulin encapsulation in reinforced alginate microspheres prepared by internal gelation,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 148–159, 2006.
- S. Sugawara, T. Imai, and M. Otagiri, “The controlled release of prednisolone using alginate gel,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 272–277, 1994.
- T. Yotsuyanagi, T. Ohkubo, T. Ohhashi, and K. Ikeda, “Calcium-induced gelation of alginic acid and pH-sensitive reswelling of dried gels,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 1555–1563, 1987.
- H. Tomida, C. Mizuo, C. Nakamura, and S. Kiryu, “Imipramine release from Ca-alginate gel beads,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1475–1477, 1993.
- T. Ostberg, E. M. Lund, and C. Graffner, “Calcium alginate matrices for oral multiple unit administration IV. Release characteristics in different media,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 241–248, 1994.
- F. L. Mi, H. W. Sung, and S. S. Shyu, “Drug release from chitosan-alginate complex beads reinforced by a naturally occurring cross-linking agent,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 61–72, 2002.
- C. Tapia, Z. Escobar, E. Costa et al., “Comparative studies on polyelectrolyte complexes and mixtures of chitosan-alginate and chitosan-carrageenan as prolonged diltiazem clorhydrate release systems,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 65–75, 2004.
- S. H. Neau, M. Y. Chow, G. A. Hileman, M. J. Durrani, F. Gheyas, and B. A. Evans, “Formulation and process considerations for beads containing Carbopol® 974P, NF resin made by extrusion-spheronization,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 199, no. 2, pp. 129–140, 2000.
- G. S. Bommareddy, S. Paker-Leggs, K. K. Saripella, and S. H. Neau, “Extruded and spheronized beads containing Carbopol® 974P to deliver nonelectrolytes and salts of weakly basic drugs,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 321, no. 1-2, pp. 62–71, 2006.
- C. Subba Rao, S. S. Madhavendra, R. Sreenivas Rao, P. J. Hobbs, and R. S. Prakasham, “Studies on improving the immobilized bead reusability and alkaline protease production by isolated immobilized bacillus circulans (MTCC 6811) using overall evaluation criteria,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 65–83, 2008.
- P. S. Saudagar and R. S. Singhal, “Optimization of nutritional requirements and feeding strategies for clavulanic acid production by Streptomyces clavuligerus,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 10, pp. 2010–2017, 2007.
- R. Potumarthi, C. Subhakar, A. Pavani, and A. Jetty, “Evaluation of various parameters of calcium-alginate immobilization method for enhanced alkaline protease production by Bacillus licheniformis NCIM-2042 using statistical methods,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 1776–1786, 2008.
- S. Dagbagli and Y. Goksungur, “Optimization of β-galactosidase production using Kluyveromyces lactis NRRL Y-8279 by response surface methodology,” Electronic Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1–12, 2008.
- N. Singh, F. Seedat, V. Pillay, J. L. Sweet, and M. P. Danckwerts, “Formulation and statistical optimization of novel double-incorporated PLA-PLGA microparticles within an alginate-pectinate platform for the delivery of nicotine,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 153–167, 2006.
- T. Gazori, M. R. Khoshayand, E. Azizi, P. Yazdizade, A. Nomani, and I. Haririan, “Evaluation of Alginate/Chitosan nanoparticles as antisense delivery vector: formulation, optimization and in vitro characterization,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 599–606, 2009.
- R. S. Rao, C. G. Kumar, R. S. Prakasham, and P. J. Hobbs, “The Taguchi methodology as a statistical tool for biotechnological applications: a critical appraisal,” Biotechnology Journal, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 510–523, 2008.
- R. K. Roy, Design of Experiments Using the Taguchi Approach: 16 Steps to Product and Process Improvement, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- J. Y. Houng, H. F. Hsu, Y. H. Liu, and J. Y. Wu, “Applying the Taguchi robust design to the optimization of the asymmetric reduction of ethyl 4-chloro acetoacetate by bakers' yeast,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 239–250, 2003.
- A. Adnani, M. Basri, E. A. Malek et al., “Optimization of lipase-catalyzed synthesis of xylitol ester by Taguchi robust design method,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 350–356, 2010.
- G. Taguchi, “System of experimental design,” in Engineering Methods to Optimize Quality and Minimize Costs, Kraus International, White Plains, NY, USA, 1987.
- V. Mandal, Y. Mohan, and S. Hemalatha, “Microwave assisted extraction of curcumin by sample-solvent dual heating mechanism using Taguchi L9 orthogonal design,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 322–327, 2008.
- S. H. Lee, D. Heng, W. K. Ng, H. K. Chan, and R. B. H. Tan, “Nano spray drying: a novel method for preparing protein nanoparticles for protein therapy,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 403, no. 1-2, pp. 192–200, 2011.
- L. I. Tong, C. H. Wang, C. C. Chen, and C. T. Chen, “Dynamic multiple responses by ideal solution analysis,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 433–444, 2004.
- A. M. Cerdeira, L. F. Gouveia, P. Goucha, and A. J. Almeida, “Drug particle size influence on enteric beads produced by a droplet extrusion/precipitation method,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 733–741, 2000.
- P. Smrdel, M. Bogataj, and A. Mrhar, “The influence of selected parameters on the size and shape of alginate beads prepared by ionotropic gelation,” Scientia Pharmaceutica, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 77–89, 2008.
- A. K. Anal and W. F. Stevens, “Chitosan-alginate multilayer beads for controlled release of ampicillin,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 290, no. 1-2, pp. 45–54, 2005.
- S. K. Basu and A. Rajendran, “Studies in the development of nateglinide loaded calcium alginate and chitosan coated calcium alginate beads,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 1077–1084, 2008.
- S. Roger, D. Talbot, and A. Bee, “Preparation and effect of Ca2+ on water solubility, particle release and swelling properties of magnetic alginate films,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 305, no. 1, pp. 221–227, 2006.
- B. Albertini, N. Passerini, M. L. González-Rodríguez, B. Perissutti, and L. Rodriguez, “Effect of Aerosil® on the properties of lipid controlled release microparticles,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 233–246, 2004.
- M. Jahanshahi, M. H. Sanati, and Z. Babaei, “Optimization of parameters for the fabrication of gelatin nanoparticles by the Taguchi robust design method,” Journal of Applied Statistics, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1345–1353, 2008.
- S. M. Mousavi, S. Yaghmaei, A. Jafari, M. Vossoughi, and Z. Ghobadi, “Optimization of ferrous biooxidation rate in a packed bed bioreactor using Taguchi approach,” Chemical Engineering and Processing, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 935–940, 2007.
- A. Khosla, S. Kumar, and K. K. Aggarwal, “Identification of strategy parameters for particle swarm optimizer through Taguchi method,” Journal of Zhejiang University Science, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1989–1994, 2006.
- O. Tan, A. S. Zaimoglu, S. Hinislioglu, and S. Altun, “Taguchi approach for optimization of the bleeding on cement-based grouts,” Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 167–173, 2005.
- Y. Sahin, “Optimal testing parameters on the wear behaviour of various steels,” Materials and Design, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 455–460, 2006.
- M. K. Chun, C. S. Cho, and H. K. Choi, “Mucoadhesive microspheres prepared by interpolymer complexation and solvent diffusion method,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 288, no. 2, pp. 295–303, 2005.
- B. Thu, P. Bruheim, T. Espevik, O. Smidsrød, P. Soon-Shiong, and G. Skjåk-Bræk, “Alginate polycation microcapsules: II. Some functional properties,” Biomaterials, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 1069–1079, 1996.
- M. Türkoglu, A. Gürsoy, L. Eroglu, and I. Okar, “Effect of aqueous polymer dispersions on properties of diclofenac/alginate beads and in vivo evaluation in rats,” S.T.P. Pharma Sciences, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 135–140, 1997.
- G. Fundueanu, C. Nastruzzi, A. Carpov, J. Desbrieres, and M. Rinaudo, “Physico-chemical characterization of Ca-alginate microparticles produced with different methods,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 15, pp. 1427–1435, 1999.
- A. Gal and A. Nussinovitch, “Hydrocolloid carriers with filler inclusion for diltiazem hydrochloride release,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 168–178, 2007.
- M. George and T. E. Abraham, “pH sensitive alginate-guar gum hydrogel for the controlled delivery of protein drugs,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 335, no. 1-2, pp. 123–129, 2007.
- P. Sriamornsak, “Investigation of pectin as a carrier for oral delivery of proteins using calcium pectinate gel beads,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 213–220, 1998.
- A. Shariff, M. PK, P. KLK, and M. M, “Entrapment of andrographolide in cross-linked alginate pellets: I. Formulation and evaluation of associated release kinetics,” Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2007.