- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 608954, 11 pages
Ultraviolet-B Radiation and Nitrogen Affect Nutrient Concentrations and the Amount of Nutrients Acquired by Above-Ground Organs of Maize
1Department of Biology and Environment, Centre for the Research and Technology of Agro-Environment and Biological Sciences, University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro, 5001-801 Vila Real, Portugal
2Department of Soil Science, Centre of Chemistry, University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro, 5001-801 Vila Real, Portugal
3Key Laboratory of Ecology and Environmental Science in Guangdong Higher Education, School of Life Science, South China Normal University, Guangzhou 510631, China
4Department of Biology, Lund University, 22362 Lund, Sweden
Received 24 October 2011; Accepted 5 December 2011
Academic Editors: A. M. De Ron and J. R. Qasem
Copyright © 2012 Carlos M. Correia et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Meteorological Organization, “Scientific assessment of ozone depletion: 2006,” Global Ozone Research and Monitoring Project number 50, 2007.
- P. S. Searles, S. D. Flint, and M. M. Caldwell, “A meta-analysis of plant field studies simulating stratospheric ozone depletion,” Oecologia, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2001.
- V. G. Kakani, K. R. Reddy, D. Zhao, and K. Sailaja, “Field crop responses to ultraviolet-B radiation: a review,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 120, no. 1–4, pp. 191–218, 2003.
- H. A. Torbert, S. A. Prior, H. H. Rogers, and G. B. Runion, “Elevated atmospheric CO2 effects on N fertilization in grain sorghum and soybean,” Field Crops Research, vol. 88, pp. 57–67, 2004.
- U. Mark, M. Saile-Mark, and M. Tevini, “Effects of solar UVB radiation on growth, flowering and yield of central and southern European maize cultivars (Zea mays L.),” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 457–463, 1996.
- C. M. Correia, E. L. V. Areal, M. S. Torres-Pereira, and J. M. G. Torres-Pereira, “Intraspecific variation in sensitivity to ultraviolet-B radiation in maize grown under field conditions. I. growth and morphological aspects,” Field Crops Research, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 81–89, 1998.
- P. Carletti, A. Masi, A. Wonisch, D. Grill, M. Tausz, and M. Ferretti, “Changes in antioxidant and pigment pool dimensions in UV-B irradiated maize seedlings,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 149–157, 2003.
- W. Gao, Y. Zheng, J. R. Slusser et al., “Effects of supplementary ultraviolet-B irradiance on maize yield and qualities: a field experiment,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 127–131, 2004.
- S. Quaggiotti, A. R. Trentin, F. D. Vecchia, and R. Ghisi, “Response of maize (Zea mays L.) nitrate reductase to UV-B radiation,” Plant Science, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 107–116, 2004.
- C. R. Blanding, S. J. Simmons, P. Casati, V. Walbot, and A. E. Stapleton, “Coordinated regulation of maize genes during increasing exposure to ultraviolet radiation: identification of ultraviolet-responsive genes, functional processes and associated potential promoter motifs,” Plant Biotechnology Journal, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 677–695, 2007.
- C. M. Correia, J. F. Coutinho, L. O. Björn, and J. M. G. Torres-Pereira, “Ultraviolet-B radiation and nitrogen effects on growth and yield of maize under Mediterranean field conditions,” European Journal of Agronomy, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 117–125, 2000.
- C. M. Correia, J. M. M. Pereira, J. F. Coutinho, L. O. Björn, and J. M. G. Torres-Pereira, “Ultraviolet-B radiation and nitrogen affect the photosynthesis of maize: a Mediterranean field study,” European Journal of Agronomy, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 337–347, 2005.
- S. Zancan, S. Cesco, and R. Ghisi, “Effect of UV-B radiation on iron content and distribution in maize plants,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 266–272, 2006.
- L. O. Björn and T. M. Murphy, “Computer calculation of solar ultraviolet radiation at ground level,” Physiologie Végétale, vol. 23, pp. 555–561, 1985.
- R. W. Thimijan, H. R. Carns, and L. E. Campbell, Final Report. Radiation Sources and Related Environmental Control for Biological and Climatic Effects: UV Research (BACER), Unites States Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, USA, 1978.
- E. M. Middleton and A. H. Teramura, “Understanding photosynthesis, pigment and growth responses induced by UV-B and UV-A irradiances,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 38–45, 1994.
- H. A. Mills and J. Benton Jones, Plant Analysis Handbook II, Micro-Macro Publishing Incorporated, Athens, Greece, 1996.
- G. W. Snedecor and W. G. Cochran, Statistical Methods, Iowa State University, Des Moines, Iowa, USA, 1980.
- G. Deckmyn and I. Impens, “UV-B increases the harvest index of bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.),” Plant, Cell and Environment, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1426–1433, 1995.
- M. C. Rousseaux, C. L. Ballaré, A. L. Scopel, P. S. Searles, and M. M. Caldwell, “Solar ultraviolet-B radiation affects plant-insect interactions in a natural ecosystem of Tierra del Fuego (southern Argentina),” Oecologia, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 528–535, 1998.
- K. Reifenrath and C. Müller, “Species-specific and leaf-age dependent effects of ultraviolet radiation on two brassicaceae,” Phytochemistry, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 875–885, 2007.
- M. Yue, Y. Li, and X. Wang, “Effects of enhanced ultraviolet-B radiation on plant nutrients and decomposition of spring wheat under field conditions,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 187–196, 1998.
- U. C. Shukla and P. Kakkar, “Effect of dual stress of ultraviolet-B radiation and cadmium on nutrient uptake of wheat seedlings,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 33, no. 11-12, pp. 1737–1749, 2002.
- J. He, L. K. Huang, W. S. Chow, M. I. Whitecross, and J. M. Anderson, “Effects of supplementary ultraviolet-B radiation on rice and pea plants,” Australian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 129–142, 1993.
- C. F. Musil and S. J. E. Wand, “Differential stimulation of an arid-environment winter ephemeral Dimorphotheca pluvialis (L.) Moench by ultraviolet-B radiation under nutrient limitation,” Plant, Cell and Environment, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 245–255, 1994.
- G. Döhler, R. C. Worrest, I. Biermann, and J. Zink, “Photosynthetic 14CO2 fixation and [15N]-ammonia assimilation during UV-B radiation of Lithodesmium variable,” Physiologia Plantarum, vol. 70, pp. 511–515, 1987.
- A. Strid, W. S. Chow, and J. M. Anderson, “Effects of supplementary ultraviolet-B radiation on photosynthesis in Pisum sativum,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1020, no. 3, pp. 260–268, 1990.
- C. M. Correia, E. L. V. Areal, M. S. Torres-Pereira, and J. M. G. Torres-Pereira, “Intraspecific variation in sensitivity to ultraviolet-B radiation in maize grown under field conditions II. physiological and biochemical aspects,” Field Crops Research, vol. 62, no. 2-3, pp. 97–105, 1999.
- D. D. Francis, J. S. Schepers, and M. F. Vigil, “Post-anthesis nitrogen loss from corn,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 85, pp. 659–663, 1993.
- A. Fangmeier, U. Grüters, P. Högy, B. Vermehren, and H.-J. Jägger, “Effects of elevated CO2, nitrogen supply and troposheric ozone on spring wheat—II. nutrients (N, P, K, S, Ca, Mg, Fe, Mn, Zn),” Environmental Pollution, vol. 96, pp. 43–59, 1997.
- R. C. Muchow, “Nitrogen utilization efficiency in maize and grain sorghum,” Field Crops Research, vol. 56, no. 1-2, pp. 209–216, 1998.
- H. Costa, S. M. Gallego, and M. L. Tomaro, “Effect of UV-B radiation on antioxidant defense system in sunflower cotyledons,” Plant Science, vol. 162, no. 6, pp. 939–945, 2002.
- J. Ren, W. Dai, Z. Xuan, Y. Yao, H. Korpelainen, and C. Li, “The effect of drought and enhanced UV-B radiation on the growth and physiological traits of two contrasting poplar species,” Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 239, no. 1–3, pp. 112–119, 2007.
- T. M. De La Rosa, R. Julkunen-Tiitto, T. Lehto, and P. J. Aphalo, “Secondary metabolites and nutrient concentrations in silver birch seedlings under five levels of daily UV-B exposure and two relative nutrient addition rates,” New Phytologist, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 121–131, 2001.
- S. S. J. Buah, J. W. Maranville, A. Traore, and P. J. Bramel-Cox, “Response of nitrogen use efficient sorghums to nitrogen fertilizer,” Journal of Plant Nutrition, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 2303–2318, 1998.
- A. Kamoshita, S. Fukai, R. C. Muchow, and M. Cooper, “Sorghum hybrid differences in grain yield and nitrogen concentration under low soil nitrogen availability. I. Hybrids with similar phenology,” Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 1267–1276, 1998.
- I. Rajcan and M. Tollenaar, “Source: sink ratio and leaf senescence in maize: II. nitrogen metabolism during grain filling,” Field Crops Research, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 255–265, 1999.
- J. C. Swank, F. E. Below, R. J. Lambert, and R. H. Hageman, “Interaction of carbon and nitrogen metabolism in the productivity of maize,” Plant Physiology, vol. 70, pp. 1185–1190, 1982.
- S. O. Oikeh, J. G. Kling, and A. E. Okoruwa, “Nitrogen fertilizer management effects on maize grain quality in the west African moist savanna,” Crop Science, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 1056–1061, 1998.
- M. Ahmadi, W. J. Wiebold, and J. E. Beuerlein, “Grain yield and mineral composition of corn as influenced by endosperm type and nitrogen,” Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, vol. 24, no. 17-18, pp. 2409–2426, 1993.
- J. Le Gouis, O. Delebarre, D. Beghin, E. Heumez, and P. Pluchard, “Nitrogen uptake and utilisation efficiency of two-row and six-row winter barley cultivars grown at two N levels,” European Journal of Agronomy, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 73–79, 1999.
- R. Wetselaar and G. D. Farquhar, “Nitrogen losses from tops of plants,” Advances in Agronomy, vol. 33, pp. 263–302, 1980.