- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 701746, 11 pages
Blood Cell Profiles of the Tadpoles of the Dubois's Tree Frog, Polypedates teraiensis Dubois, 1986 (Anura: Rhacophoridae)
Cell and Developmental Biology Laboratory, P.G. Department of Zoology, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar-751 004, Odisha, India
Received 18 October 2011; Accepted 21 December 2011
Academic Editors: Y. Chen, A. Krippner-Heidenreich, and G. Krohne
Copyright © 2012 Madhusmita Das and Pravati Kumari Mahapatra. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Rosenkilde, I. Sorensen, and A. P. Ussing, “Amphibian hematology: metamorphosis-related changes in blood cells,” Netherlands Journal of Zoology, vol. 45, pp. 213–215, 1994.
- A. K. Davis, “Metamorphosis-related changes in leukocyte profiles of larval bullfrogs (Rana catesbeiana),” Comparative Clinical Pathology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 181–186, 2009.
- A. Jaylet, P. Deparis, and V. Ferrier, “A new micronucleus test using peripheral blood erythrocytes of the newt Pleurodeles waltl to detect mutagens in fresh-water pollution,” Mutation Research, vol. 164, no. 4, pp. 245–257, 1986.
- M. Fernandez, J. L'Haridon, L. Gauthier, and C. Zoll-Moreux, “Amphibian micronucleus test(s): a simple and reliable method for evaluating in vivo genotoxic effects of freshwater pollutants and radiations. Initial assessment,” Mutation Research, vol. 292, no. 1, pp. 83–99, 1993.
- S. Ralph, M. Petras, R. Pandrangi, and M. Vrzoc, “Alkaline single-cell (comet) assay and genotoxicity monitoring using two species of tadpoles,” Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 112–120, 1996.
- M. A. Campana, A. M. Panzeri, V. J. Moreno, and F. N. Dulout, “Micronuclei induction in Rana catesbeiana tadpoles by the pyrethroid insecticide lambda-cyhalothrin,” Genetics and Molecular Biology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 99–103, 2003.
- M. V. M. A. Wirz, P. H. Saldiva, and D. V. Freire-Maia, “Micronucleus test for monitoring genotoxicity of polluted river water in Rana catesbeiana tadpoles,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 1220–1227, 2005.
- S. Barni, E. Boncompagni, A. Grosso et al., “Evaluation of Rana snk esculenta blood cell response to chemical stressors in the environment during the larval and adult phases,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 45–54, 2007.
- M. C. Cabagna, R. C. Lajmanovich, G. Stringhini, J. C. Sanchez-Hernandez, and P. M. Peltzer, “Hematological parameters of health status in the common toad Bufo arenarum in agrosystems of Santa Fe Province, Argentina,” Applied Herpetology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 373–380, 2005.
- T. R. Raffel, J. R. Rohr, J. M. Kiesecker, and P. J. Hudson, “Negative effects of changing temperature on amphibian immunity under field conditions,” Functional Ecology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 819–828, 2006.
- J. M. Kiesecker, “Synergism between trematode infection and pesticide exposure: a link to amphibian limb deformities in nature?” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 15, pp. 9900–9904, 2002.
- M. R. Forbes, D. L. McRuer, and D. Shutler, “White blood cell profiles of breeding American toads (Bufo americanus) relative to sex and body size,” Comparative Clinical Pathology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 155–159, 2006.
- D. D. Forson and A. Storfer, “Atrazine increases ranavirus susceptibility in the tiger salamander, Ambystoma tigrinum,” Ecological Applications, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 2325–2332, 2006.
- S. S. Gervasi and J. Foufopoulos, “Costs of plasticity: responses to desiccation decrease post-metamorphic immune function in a pond-breeding amphibian,” Functional Ecology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 100–108, 2008.
- A. K. Davis, D. L. Maney, and J. C. Maerz, “The use of leukocyte profiles to measure stress in vertebrates: a review for ecologists,” Functional Ecology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 760–772, 2008.
- H. E. Jordan and C. C. Speidel, “Blood cell formation and distribution in relation to the mechanism of thyroid-accelerated metamorphosis in the larval frog,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 38, pp. 529–543, 1923.
- H. E. Jordan and C. C. Speidel, “The behavior of the leucocytes during coincident regeneration and thyroid-induced metamorphosis in the frog larva, with a consideration of growth factors,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 40, pp. 1–11, 1924.
- G. Frank, “Granulopoiesis in tadpoles of Rana esculenta. Ultrastructural observations on the morphology and development of heterophil and basophil granules,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 163, pp. 107–116, 1989.
- L. A. Rollins-Smith, K. S. Barker, and A. T. Davis, “Involvement of glucocorticoids in the reorganization of the amphibian immune system at metamorphosis,” Developmental Immunology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 145–152, 1997.
- M. F. Bennett and J. A. Harbottle, “The effects of hydrocortisone on the blood of tadpoles and frogs, Rana catesbeiana,” Biological Bulletin, vol. 135, no. 1, pp. 92–95, 1968.
- M. F. Bennett and J. K. Alspaugh, “Some changes in the blood of frogs following administration of hydrocortisone,” The Virginia Journal of Science, vol. 15, pp. 76–79, 1964.
- J. G. Hollyfield, “Erythrocyte replacement at metamorphosis in the frog, Rana pipiens,” Journal of Morphology, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 1966.
- J. Benbassat, “Erythroid cell development during natural amphibian metamorphosis,” Developmental Biology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 557–583, 1970.
- R. H. Broyles, G. M. Johnson, P. B. Maples, and G. R. Kindell, “Two erythropoietic microenvironments and two larval red cell lines in bullfrog tadpoles,” Developmental Biology, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 299–314, 1981.
- B. Moss and V. M. Ingram, “Hemoglobin synthesis during amphibian metamorphosis. II. Synthesis of adult hemoglobin following thyroxine administration,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 493–504, 1968.
- A. R. Dorn and R. H. Broyles, “Erythrocyte differentiation during the metamorphic hemoglobin switch of Rana catesbeiana,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 79, no. 18 I, pp. 5592–5596, 1982.
- J. J. Just and J. Klaus-Just, “Controls of thyroid hormones and their involvement in hemoglobin transistion during Xenopus and Rana metamorphosis,” in Biology of Xenopus, R. C. Tinsley and H. R. Kobel, Eds., pp. 213–229, Oxford University Press, London, UK, 1996.
- T. Hasebe, H. Oshima, K. Kawamura, and S. Kikuyama, “Rapid and selective removal of larval erythrocytes from systemic circulation during metamorphosis of the bullfrog, Rana catesbeiana,” Development Growth and Differentiation, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 639–643, 1999.
- C. C. Speidel, “Bile pigment production and erythrocyte destruction in thyroid-treated amphibian larvae,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 63, pp. 703–712, 1926.
- V. Banerjee and M. Banerjee, “Seasonal variations of erythrocyte number and haemoglobin content in the common Indian Toad, Bufo melanostictus,” Proceedings of the Zoological Society (Calcutta), vol. 19, pp. 173–178, 1966.
- M. C. Boral and C. C. Deb, “Seasonal changes in body fluids and haematology in toad Bufo melanostictus a poikilothermic cold torpor,” Proceedings of the Indian National Science Academy, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 369–379, 1970.
- V. Banerjee and P. K. Sinha, “Notes on the differential leukocyte count in the female toad Bufo melanostictus with relation to body weight,” Indian Journal of Animal Research, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 47–48, 1978.
- V. Banerjee, P. K. Singh, M. Ahmed, and D. P. Yadav, “Some aspects of haematology of Bufo melanostictus with relation to body weight,” Journal of the Zoological Society of India, vol. 31, pp. 55–60, 1980.
- V. Mishra and V. Banerjee, “Haematology of Rana tigerina. Erythrocytes and related parameters with relation to body weight,” Annals of Zoology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 1983.
- B. B. Mahapatra, M. Das, S. K. Dutta, and P. K. Mahapatra, “Hematology of Indian rhacophorid tree frog Polypedates maculatus, Gray, 1833 (Anura: Rhacophoridae),” Comparative Clinical Pathology. In press.
- K. L. Gosner, “A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae,” Herpetologica, vol. 16, pp. 183–190, 1960.
- S. K. Dutta, M. V. Nair, P. P. Mohapatra, and A. K. Mahapatra, “Amphibians and reptiles of similipal biosphere reserves,” Regional Plant Resource Centre, pp. 52–53, 2009.
- P. Mohanty-Hejmadi, “Care and management of amphibian embryos,” Prakruti-Utkal University Journal-Scienc, vol. 11, pp. 81–87, 1977.
- A.C. Taylor and J. J. Kollros, “Stages in the normal development of Rana pipiens larvae,” The Anatomical Record, vol. 94, pp. 2–23, 1946.
- W. McDiarmid and R. Altig, Tadpoles: The Biology of Anuran Larvae, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Ill, USA, 2000.
- I. Hadji-Azimi, V. Coosemans, and C. Canicatti, “Atlas of adult Xenopus laevis laevis hematology,” Developmental and Comparative Immunology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 807–874, 1987.
- R. J. Turner, “Amphibians,” in Vertebrate Blood Cells, A. F. Rawley and N. A. Ratcliff, Eds., pp. 129–209, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1998.
- J. J. Heatley and M. Johnson, “Clinical technique: amphibian hematology: a practitioner's guide,” Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 14–19, 2009.
- S. K. Arserim and A. Mermer, “Hematology of the Uludağ frog, Rana macrocnemis Boulenger, 1885 in Uludağ National park (Bursa, Turkey),” E. U. Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2008.
- R. G. D. Steel and J. N. Torrie, Principles and Procedures of Statistics, McGraw Hill, London, UK, 1980.
- A. Foglia, “The acanthocyte-echinocyte differential: the example of chorea-acanthocytosis,” Swiss Medical Weekly. In press.
- G. L. Vankin, E. M. Brandt, and W. DeWitt, “Ultrastructural studies on red blood cells from thyroxin-treated Rana catesbeiana tadpoles,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 767–772, 1970.
- College of American Pathologists, “Blood cell identification,” Hematology and Clinical Microscopy Glossary, pp. 3–21, 2010.
- M. E. Feder and W. W. Burggren, Environmental Physiology of the Amphibians, University of Chicago Press, 1992.
- G. M. Maniatis and V. M. Ingram, “Erythropoiesis during amphibian metamorphosis—I. Site of maturation of erythrocytes in Rana catesbeiana,” The Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 49, pp. 372–379, 1971.
- R. H. Broyles, “Changes in the blood during amphibian metamorphosis,” in A Problem in Developmental Biology, L. I. Gilbert and E. Frieden, Eds., pp. 461–490, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1981.
- W. L. Duelleman and L. Trueb, Biology of Amphibians, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- N. C. Jain, Schalm’s Vertebrate Hematology, Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1986.
- N. C. Jain, Essentials of Veterinary Hematology, Blackwell, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1993.
- M. A. Thrall, “Hematology of amphibians,” in Veterinary Hematology and Clinical Chemistry: Test and Clinical Test Presentations, M. A. Thrall, D. C. Baker, and E. D. Lassen, Eds., Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2004.
- D. J. Adamko, S. O. Odemuyiwa, D. Vethanayagam, and R. Moqbel, “The rise of the phoenix: the expanding role of the eosinophil in health and disease,” Allergy, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 13–22, 2005.
- M. E. Rothenberg and S. P. Hogan, “The eosinophil,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 24, pp. 147–174, 2006.