- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 764563, 6 pages
Antibiotic Susceptibility Profile of Aeromonas Species Isolated from Wastewater Treatment Plant
Applied and Environmental Microbiology Research Group (AEMREG), Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Fort Hare, Private Bag X1314, Alice 5700, South Africa
Received 6 June 2012; Accepted 10 July 2012
Academic Editors: T. Hatano and A. Scozzafava
Copyright © 2012 Isoken H. Igbinosa and Anthony I. Okoh. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Baquero, J. L. Martínez, and R. Cantón, “Antibiotics and antibiotic resistance in water environments,” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 260–265, 2008.
- K. Kümmerer, “Antibiotics in the aquatic environment-a review-part II,” Chemosphere, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 435–441, 2009.
- A. O. Summers, “Genetic linkage and horizontal gene transfer, the roots of the antibiotic Multi-Resistance Problem,” Animal Biotechnology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 125–135, 2006.
- B. G. Kelly, A. Vespermann, and D. J. Bolton, “Gene transfer events and their occurrence in selected environments,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 978–983, 2009.
- A. Alonso, P. S. Sánchez, and J. L. Martínez, “Environmental selection of antibiotic resistance genes,” Environmental Microbiology, vol. 3, no. 1, p. 109, 2001.
- S. Kim and D. S. Aga, “Potential ecological and human health impacts of antibiotics and antibiotic-resistant bacteria from wastewater treatment plants,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health B, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 559–573, 2007.
- K. Kümmerer, “Antibiotics in the aquatic environment-a review-part I,” Chemosphere, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 417–434, 2009.
- M. Ferreira da Silva, I. Vaz-Moreira, M. Gonzalez-Pajuelo, O. C. Nunes, and C. M. Manaia, “Antimicrobial resistance patterns in Enterobacteriaceae isolated from an urban wastewater treatment plant,” FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 166–176, 2007.
- P. Servais and J. Passerat, “Antimicrobial resistance of fecal bacteria in waters of the Seine river watershed (France),” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 408, no. 2, pp. 365–372, 2009.
- A. Novo and C. M. Manaia, “Factors influencing antibiotic resistance burden in municipal wastewater treatment plants,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 1157–1166, 2010.
- T. Schwartz, W. Kohnen, B. Jansen, and U. Obst, “Detection of antibiotic-resistant bacteria and their resistance genes in wastewater, surface water, and drinking water biofilms,” FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 325–335, 2003.
- C. Faria, I. Vaz-Moreira, E. Serapicos, O. C. Nunes, and C. M. Manaia, “Antibiotic resistance in coagulase negative staphylococci isolated from wastewater and drinking water,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 407, no. 12, pp. 3876–3882, 2009.
- I. Vaz-Moreira, O. C. Nunes, and C. M. Manaia, “Diversity and antibiotic resistance patterns of Sphingomonadaceae isolates from drinking water,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 77, no. 16, pp. 5697–5706, 2011.
- D. M. Livermore, “β-lactamases in laboratory and clinical resistance,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 557–584, 1995.
- D. Li, M. Yang, J. Hu et al., “Antibiotic-resistance profile in environmental bacteria isolated from penicillin production wastewater treatment plant and the receiving river,” Environmental Microbiology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 1506–1517, 2009.
- K. Bush, G. A. Jacoby, and A. A. Medeiros, “A functional classification scheme for β-lactamases and its correlation with molecular structure,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1211–1233, 1995.
- G. A. Jacoby, “β-lactamase nomenclature,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1123–1129, 2006.
- Y. Agersø and D. Sandvang, “Class 1 integrons and tetracycline resistance genes in Alcaligenes, Arthrobacter, and Pseudomonas spp. isolated from pigsties and manured soil,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 12, pp. 7941–7947, 2005.
- A. W. Bauer, W. M. Kirby, J. C. Sherris, and M. Turck, “Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 493–496, 1966.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI), Methods for Dilution of Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria that Grow Aerobically: Approved Standard M7-A7, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pa, USA, 7th edition, 2006.
- J. Sambrook and D. W. Russell, Molecular cloning: A laboratory manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2001.
- F. Bert, C. Branger, and N. Lambert-Zechovsky, “Identification of PSE and OXA β-lactamase genes in Pseudomonas aeruginosa using PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2002.
- M. Nawaz, S. A. Khan, A. A. Khan et al., “Detection and characterization of virulence genes and integrons in Aeromonas veronii isolated from catfish,” Food Microbiology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 327–331, 2010.
- M. M. Wroblewska, L. Dijkshoorn, H. Marchel et al., “Outbreak of nosocomial meningitis caused by Acinetobacter baumannii in neurosurgical patients,” Journal of Hospital Infection, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 300–307, 2004.
- M. Goñi-Urriza, M. Capdepuy, C. Arpin, N. Raymond, and C. Q. Pierre Caumette, “Impact of an urban effluent on antibiotic resistance of riverine Enterobacteriaceae and Aeromonas spp.,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 125–132, 2000.
- A. Pérez-Valdespino, E. Fernández-Rendón, and E. Curiel-Qesada, “Detection and characterization of class 1 integrons in Aeromonas spp. isolated from human diarrheic stool in Mexico,” Journal of Basic Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 572–578, 2009.
- L. Jacobs and H. Y. Chenia, “Characterization of integrons and tetracycline resistance determinants in Aeromonas spp. isolated from South African aquaculture systems,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 295–306, 2007.
- C. L. Obi, J. Ramalivhana, A. Samie, and E. O. Igumbor, “Prevalence, pathogenesis, antibiotic susceptibility profiles, and in-vitro activity of selected medicinal plants against Aeromonas isolates from stool samples of patients in the Venda Region of South Africa,” Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 428–435, 2007.
- G. Cambray, A. M. Guerout, and D. Mazel, “Integrons,” Annual Review of Genetics, vol. 44, pp. 141–166, 2010.
- A. Moura, I. Henriques, R. Ribeiro, and A. Correia, “Prevalence and characterization of integrons from bacteria isolated from a slaughterhouse wastewater treatment plant,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 1243–1250, 2007.
- A. Moura, C. Oliveira, I. Henriques, K. Smalla, and A. Correia, “Broad diversity of conjugative plasmids in integron-carrying bacteria from wastewater environments,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 330, no. 2, pp. 157–164, 2012.
- D. S. Pontes, F. A. Pinheiro, C. I. Lima-Bittencourt et al., “Multiple antimicrobial resistance of gram-negative bacteria from natural oligotrophic lakes under distinct anthropogenic influence in a tropical region,” Microbial Ecology, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 762–772, 2009.
- D. Girlich, L. Poirel, and P. Nordmann, “Diversity of clavulanic acid-inhibited extended-spectrum β-lactamases in Aeromonas spp. from the Seine River, Paris, France,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 1256–1261, 2011.
- J. N. Ramalivhana, C. L. Obi, and S. R. Moyo, “Prevalence of extended-spectrum b-lactamasesproducing Aeromonas hydrophila isolated from stool samples collected in the Limpopo province, South Africa,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 1203–1208, 2010.
- C.-J. Wu, Y.-C. Chuang, M.-F. Lee et al., “Bacteremia due to extended-spectrum-β-lactamase-producing Aeromonas spp. at a medical center in southern Taiwan,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 5813–5818, 2011.
- T. Fosse, C. Giraud-Morin, I. Madinier, F. Mantoux, J. P. Lacour, and J. P. Ortonne, “Aeromonas hydrophila with plasmid-borne class A extended-spectrum β-lactamase TEM-24 and three chromosomal class B, C, and D β-lactamases, isolated from a patient with necrotizing fasciitis,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 2342–2343, 2004.
- H. Marchandin, S. Godreuil, H. Darbas et al., “Extended-spectrum β-lactamase TEM-24 in an Aeromonas clinical strain: acquisition from the prevalent Enterobacter aerogenes clone in France,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 3994–3995, 2003.