- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 817315, 8 pages
Correlates of HIV Risk Reduction Self-Efficacy among Youth in South Africa
1HIV/STI and TB (HAST) Research Programme, Human Sciences Research Council, P.O. Box 339, Bloemfontein 9300, South Africa
2Department of Psychology, University of the Free State, Private Bag X41, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
Received 24 April 2012; Accepted 20 May 2012
Academic Editors: K. Ikuta and J. Rappaport
Copyright © 2012 Julia Louw et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO, Global HIV/AIDS Response: Epidemic Update and Health Sector Progress Towards Universal Access, WHO Progress Report, 2011.
- UNAIDS, Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic, UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008.
- A. E. Pettifor, H. V. Rees, I. Kleinschmidt et al., “Young people's sexual health in South Africa: HIV prevalence and sexual behaviors from a nationally representative household survey,” AIDS, vol. 19, no. 14, pp. 1525–1534, 2005.
- K. Wellings and B. Field, “Sexual behaviour in young people,” Bailliere's Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 139–160, 1996.
- L. Eaton, A. J. Flisher, and L. E. Aaro, “Unsafe sexual behaviour in South African youth,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 149–165, 2003.
- J. N. Sayles, A. Pettifor, M. D. Wong et al., “Factors associated with self-efficacy for condom use and sexual negotiation among South African youth,” Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 226–233, 2006.
- A. Bandura, “Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change,” Psychological Review, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 191–215, 1977.
- J. A. Catania, S. M. Kegeles, and T. J. Coates, “Towards an understanding of risk behavior: an AIDS risk reduction model (ARRM),” Health Education Quarterly, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 53–72, 1990.
- J. Baele, E. Dusseldorp, and S. Maes, “Condom use self-efficacy: effect on intended and actual condom use in adolescents,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 421–431, 2001.
- A. E. Pettifor, H. V. Rees, A. E. Steffenson, et al., HIV and Sexual Behaviour among Young South Africans: A National Survey of 15 to 24 Year Olds, Reproductive Health Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2005.
- O. Shisana, T. Rehle, L. Simbayi, et al., South African National HIV Prevalence, HIV Incidence, Behaviour and Communication Survey 2008: A Turning Tide among Teenagers, HSRC Press, Cape Town, South Africa, 2009.
- J. B. Saunders, O. G. Aasland, T. F. Babor, J. R. De la Fuente, and M. Grant, “Development of the alcohol use disorders identification test (AUDIT): WHO collaborative project on early detection of persons with harmful alcohol consumption II,” Addiction, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 791–804, 1993.
- D. K. Freeborn, M. R. Polen, J. F. Hollis, and R. A. Senft, “Screening and brief intervention for hazardous drinking in an HMO: effects on medical care utilization,” Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 446–453, 2000.
- K. Bush, D. R. Kivlahan, M. B. McDonell, S. D. Fihn, and K. A. Bradley, “The AUDIT alcohol consumption questions (AUDIT-C): an effective brief screening test for problem drinking,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 158, no. 16, pp. 1789–1795, 1998.
- A. Gual, L. Segura, M. Contel, N. Heather, and J. Colom, “Audit-3 and audit-4: effectiveness of two short forms of the alcohol use disorders identification test,” Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 591–596, 2002.
- A. E. Pettifor, B. A. Levandowski, C. Macphail, N. S. Padian, M. S. Cohen, and H. V. Rees, “Keep them in school: the importance of education as a protective factor against HIV infection among young South African women,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1266–1273, 2008.
- R. K. Jewkes, K. Dunkle, M. Nduna, and N. Shai, “Intimate partner violence, relationship power inequity, and incidence of HIV infection in young women in South Africa: a cohort study,” The Lancet, vol. 376, no. 9734, pp. 41–48, 2010.
- C. Marston and E. King, “Factors that shape young people's sexual behaviour: a systematic review,” The Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9547, pp. 1581–1586, 2006.
- C. A. Varga, “How gender roles influence sexual and reproductive health among South African adolescents,” Studies in Family Planning, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 160–172, 2003.
- D. A. Ross, “Behavioural interventions to reduce HIV risk: what works?” AIDS, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. S4–S14, 2010.
- C. A. Varga, “Sexual decision-making and negotiation in the midst of AIDS: youth in KwaZulu/Natal, South Africa,” Health Transit Review, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 45–67, 1997.
- A. E. Pettifor, C. MacPhail, S. Bertozzi, and H. V. Rees, “Challenge of evaluating a national HIV prevention programme: the case of loveLife, South Africa,” Sexually Transmitted Infections, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. i70–i74, 2007.
- loveLife. loveLife make your move, 2012, http://www.lovelife.org.za/.
- S. Leclerc-Madlala, “Age-disparate and intergenerational sex in southern Africa: the dynamics of hypervulnerability,” AIDS, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. S17–S25, 2008.