- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 836067, 10 pages
Quality of Life and Unmet Need in People with Psychosis in the London Borough of Haringey, UK
1The Royal Society of Medicine, 1 Wimpole Street, London W1G 0AE, UK
2Squamish Mental Health and Addictions, 38075 2nd Avenue, Squamish, BC, V8B 0C2, Canada
3Bamford Centre for Mental Health and Wellbeing, University of Ulster, Londonderry BT48 7JL, UK
4University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Received 26 August 2012; Accepted 26 September 2012
Academic Editors: W. Vanderplasschen and S. Vandevelde
Copyright © 2012 Maria Lambri et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. R. Burt, L. Y. Aron, T. Douglas, E. Lee, and J. Valente, Helping America's Homeless: Emergency Shelter or Affordable Housing?Urban Institute Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- V. Kovess-Masféty, D. Wiersma, M. Xavier et al., “Needs for care among patients with schizophrenia in six European countries: a one-year follow-up study,” Clinical Practice and Epidemiology in Mental Health, vol. 2, article 22, 2006.
- S. Gaetz, The Real Cost of Homelessness: Can We Save Money by Doing the Right Thing?Canadian Homelessness Research Network Press, Toronto, Canada, 2012.
- R. Macpherson, G. Shepherd, and T. Edwards, “Supported accomodation for people with severe mental illness: a review,” Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 180–188, 2004.
- A. Freeman, J. Malone, and G. E. Hunt, “A statewide survey of high-support services for people with chronic mental illness: assessment of needs for care, level of functioning and satisfaction,” Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 811–818, 2004.
- T. Kyle and J. R. Dunn, “Effects of housing circumstances on health, quality of life and healthcare use for people with severe mental illness: a review,” Health and Social Care in the Community, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 2008.
- M. F. I. A. Depla, R. de Graaf, J. T. van Busschbach, and T. J. Heeren, “Community integration of elderly mentally ill persons in psychiatric hospitals and two types of residences,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 730–735, 2003.
- L. Davidson, M. O'Connel, J. Tondora, T. Styron, and K. Kangas, “The top ten concerns about recovery encountered in mental health system transformation,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 640–645, 2006.
- National Institute for Mental Health in England, The Ten Essential Shared Capabilities: A Framework for The Whole of The Mental Health Workforce, NIMHE, London, UK, 2004.
- W. B. Hawthorne, W. Fals-Stewart, and J. B. Lohr, “A treatment outcome study of community-based residential care,” Hospital and Community Psychiatry, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 152–155, 1994.
- S. Parkinson and G. Nelson, “Consumer/survivor stories of empowerment and recovery in the context of supported housing,” International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation, vol. 7, pp. 103–118, 2003.
- C. Kinane and K. Gupta, “Residential care homes for the mentally ill: implications for a catchment area service,” Psychiatric Bulletin, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 58–61, 2001.
- R. Chilvers, G. M. Macdonald, and A. A. Hayes, “Supported housing for people with severe mental disorders,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, article CD000453, 2002.
- “Mental Illness Needs Index 2000, Centre for Public Mental Health, University of Durham,” http://www.dur.ac.uk/mental.health/.
- A. F. Lehman, “A quality of life interview for the chronically mentally ill,” Evaluation and Program Planning, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 51–62, 1988.
- M. Slade, M. Phelan, and G. Thornicroft, “A comparison of needs assessed by staff and by an epidemiologically representative sample of patients with psychosis,” Psychological Medicine, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 543–550, 1998.
- UK700 Group, “Predictors of quality of life in people with severe mental illness. Study methodology with baseline analysis in the UK700 trial,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 175, pp. 426–432, 1999.
- M. Slade, M. Leese, R. Taylor, and G. Thornicroft, “The association between needs and quality of life in an epidemiologically representative sample of people with psychosis,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 149–157, 1999.
- Greater London Authority, Getting a Move On: Addressing the Housing and Support Issues Facing Londoners with Mental Health Needs, GLA, London, UK, 2003.
- Rand, “Rand 36-Item Health Survey, 1.0: Rand Health Sciences Program,” Rand Corporation, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 1992.
- M. Phelan, M. Slade, G. Thornicroft et al., “The Camberwell Assessment of Need: the validity and reliability of an instrument to assess the needs of people with severe mental illness,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 167, pp. 589–595, 1995.
- J. Oliver, “The social care directive: development of a quality of life profile for use in community services for the mentally ill,” Social Work and Social Sciences Review, vol. 3, pp. 5–45, 1991.
- J. Ventura, M. F. Green, A. Shaner, and R. P. Liberman, “Training and quality assurance with the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale: ‘The Drift Busters’,” International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, vol. 3, pp. 221–244, 1993.
- World Health Organization, WHO Schedules for Assessment in Neuropsychiatry, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1992.
- S. Ochoa, J. M. Haro, J. Autonell, A. Pendàs, F. Teba, and M. Màrquez, “Met and unmet needs of schizophrenia patients in a Spanish sample,” Schizophrenia Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 201–210, 2003.
- K. K. Sahu, C. A. Sophia, R. Dharitri, and S. Kalyanasundaram, “Met and unmet needs of persons with severe mental illness in a half way home,” International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 13–22, 2010.
- T. Middelboe, “Prospective study of clinical and social outcome of stay in small group homes for people with mental illness,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 171, pp. 251–255, 1997.
- F. Baker and C. Douglas, “Housing environments and community adjustment of severely mentally ill persons,” Community Mental Health Journal, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 497–505, 1990.
- T. Aubry and J. Myner, “Community integration and quality of life: a comparison of persons with psychiatric disabilities in housing programs and community residents who are neighbours,” Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 5–20, 1996.
- A. Lasalvia, M. Ruggeri, and N. Santolini, “Subjective quality of life: its relationship with clinician-rated and patient-rated psychopathology: The South-Verona Outcome Project 6,” Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 275–284, 2002.
- L. Hansson, M. Sandlund, A. Bengtsson-Tops et al., “The relationship of needs and quality of life in persons with schizophrenia living in the community. A Nordic multi-center study,” Nordic Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 5–11, 2003.
- A. Lasalvia, C. Bonetto, F. Malchiodi et al., “Listening to patients' needs to improve their subjective quality of life,” Psychological Medicine, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1655–1665, 2005.
- J. Alonso, M. Codony, V. Kovess et al., “Population level of unmet need for mental healthcare in Europe,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 190, pp. 299–306, 2007.
- E. F. Perese and Y. B. Wu, “Shortfalls of treatment for patients with Schizophrenia: unmet needs, obstacles to recovery,” International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 43–56, 2010.
- Y. Forsell, “The pathway to meeting need for mental health services in Sweden,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 114–119, 2006.