- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 837395, 8 pages
Influence of Growth Regulators on Callogenesis and Somatic Embryo Development in Date Palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) Sahelian Cultivars
1Département de Biologie Végétale, Université Cheikh Anta Diop, BP 5005, Dakar-Fann, Senegal
2Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, IRD, BP 64501, 34394 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
3Institut des sciences de la vie, Centre d'Etudes et de Recherche de Djibouti (BP 486), BP 5005, Dakar-Fann, Djibouti
Received 21 October 2011; Accepted 8 December 2011
Academic Editor: Hilbert Jean Louis
Copyright © 2012 Djibril Sané et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- O. Reuveni, “Embryogenesis and plantlets growth of date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) derived from callus tissue,” Plant Physiology, vol. 63, p. 138, 1979.
- J. F. Reynolds and T. Murashige, “Asexual embryogenesis in callus cultures of palms,” In Vitro, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 383–387, 1979.
- B. Tisserat and D. A. Demason, “A histological study of development of adventive embryos in organ cultures of Phoenix dactylifera L.,” Annals of Botany, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 465–472, 1980.
- B. Tisserat, “Propagation of date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) in vitro,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1275–1283, 1979.
- F. Daguin and R. Letouze, “Regeneration of date palm (Phoenix dactylifera) by somatic embryogenesis: improved effectiveness by dipping un a stirred liquid medium,” Fruits, vol. 43, pp. 191–194, 1988.
- L. T. L. Huong, M. Baiocco, B. P. Huy, B. Mezzetti, R. Santilocchi, and P. Rosati, “Somatic embryogenesis in Canary Island date palm,” Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 1999.
- S. Bhaskaran and R. H. Smith, “Somatic embryogenesis from shoot tip and immature inflorescence of Phoenix dactylifera cv. Barhee,” Plant Cell Reports, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 22–25, 1992.
- L. Fki, R. Masmoudi, N. Drira, and A. Rival, “An optimised protocol for plant regeneration from embryogenic suspension cultures of date palm, Phoenix dactylifera L., cv. Deglet Nour,” Plant Cell Reports, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 517–524, 2003.
- J. Zouine, M. El Bellaj, A. Meddich, J.-L. Verdeil, and I. El Hadrami, “Proliferation and germination of somatic embryos from embryogenic suspension cultures in Phoenix dactylifera,” Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 2005.
- D. Sané, F. Aberlenc-Bertossi, Y. K. Gassama-Dia et al., “Histocytological analysis of callogenesis and somatic embryogenesis from cell suspensions of date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.),” Annals of Botany, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 301–308, 2006.
- M. F. Gabr and B. Tisserat, “Propagating palms in vitro with special emphasis on the date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.),” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 255–262, 1985.
- A. Féher, T. P. Pasternak, and D. Dudits, “Transition of somatic plant cells to an embryogenic state. Review of plant biotechnology and applied genetics,” Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 201–228, 2003.
- T. Murashige and F. Skoog, “A revised medium for rapid growth and biassays with tobacco tissue cultures,” Physiologia Plantarum, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 473–497, 1962.
- G. Morel and R. M. Wetmore, “Fern callus tissue culture,” American Journal of Botany, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 141–143, 1951.
- J. B. Teixeira, M. R. Sondahl, T. Nakamura, and E. G. Kirby, “Establishment of oil palm cell suspensions and plant regeneration,” Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 105–111, 1995.
- F. Aberlenc-Bertossi, M. Noirot, and Y. Duval, “BA enhances the germination of oil palm somatic embryos derived from embryogenic suspension cultures,” Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 1999.
- M. D. Bennett and J. B. Smith, “Nuclear DNA amounts in angiosperms,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B, vol. 334, pp. 309–345, 1991.
- J. Dolezel and P. Binarová, “The effects of colchicine on ploidy level, morphology and embryogenic capacity of alfalfa suspension cultures,” Plant Science, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 213–219, 1989.
- D. W. Galbraith, K. R. Harkins, J. M. Maddox, N. M. Ayres, D. P. Sharma, and E. Firoozabady, “Rapid flow cytometry analysis of the cell cycle in intact plant tissues,” Science, vol. 220, no. 4601, pp. 1049–1051, 1983.
- J.-L. Verdeil, C. Huet, F. Grosdemange, and J. Buffard-Morel, “Plant regeneration from cultured immature inflorescences of coconut (Cocos nucifera L.): evidence for somatic embryogenesis,” Plant Cell Reports, vol. 13, no. 3-4, pp. 218–221, 1994.
- O. C. W. Brown, “Germplasm determination of in vitro somatic embryogenesis in alfalfa,” Hort Science, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 526–531, 1988.
- D. T. Tomes, “Cell culture, somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration in maize, rice, sorghum and millets,” in Cereal Tissue and Cell Culture, S. M. J. Bright and M. G. K. Jones, Eds., pp. 175–203, Martinus Nijhoff/Junk, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1985.
- T. Lotan, M. Ohto, K. M. Yee et al., “Arabidopsis LEAFY COTYLEDON1 is sufficient to induce embryo development in vegetative cells,” Cell, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 1195–1205, 1998.
- L. Michalczuk, D. M. Ribnicky, T. J. Cooke, and J. D. Cohen, “Regulation of indole-3-acetic acid biosynthetic pathways in carrot cell cultures,” Plant Physiology, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 1346–1353, 1992.
- T. Pasternak, P. Miskolczi, F. Ayaydin, T. Mészaros, D. Dudits, and A. Fehér, “Exogenous auxin and cytokinin dependent activation of CDKs and cell division in leaf protoplast-derived cells of alfalfa,” Plant Growth Regulation, vol. 32, no. 2-3, pp. 129–141, 2000.
- V. M. Jemenez and F. Bangerth, “Hormonal status of maize initial explants and of the embryogenic and non-embryogenic callus cultures derived from them as related to morphogenesis in vitro,” Plant Science, vol. 160, no. 2, pp. 247–257, 2001.
- N. Dharmasiri and M. Estelle, “Auxin signaling and regulated protein degradation,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 302–308, 2004.
- S. Vanneste and J. Friml, “Auxin: a trigger for change in plant development,” Cell, vol. 136, no. 6, pp. 1005–1016, 2009.
- P. E. Staswick, B. Serban, M. Rowe et al., “Characterization of an arabidopsis enzyme family that conjugates amino acids to indole-3-acetic acid,” Plant Cell, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 616–627, 2005.
- R. M. Wright, G. Hagen, and T. Guilfoyle, “An auxin-induced polypeptide in dicotyledonous plants,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 625–634, 1987.
- E. F. George and P. D. Sherrington, “Plant Propagation by Tissue Culture,” in Plant Propagation by Tissue Culture, Handbook of Directory and Commercial Laboratories, E. F. George and P. D. Sherrington, Eds., p. 305, Exegetics Eversley, London, UK, 1984.
- D. Sané, A. Borgel, J.-L. Verdeil, and Y. K. Gassama-Dia, “Plantlet regeneration via somatic embryogenesis in immature zygotic embryo callus from a tree species adapted to arid lands: acacia tortilis subsp.raddiana (Savi.) Brenan,” Acta Botanica Gallica, vol. 147, pp. 257–266, 2000.
- K. Boutilier, R. Offringa, V. K. Sharma et al., “Ectopic expression of BABY BOOM triggers a conversion from vegetative to embryonic growth,” Plant Cell, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 1737–1749, 2002.
- H. C. Wang, J. T. Chen, and W. C. Chang, “Somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration from leaf, root and stem-derived callus cultures of Areca catechu,” Biologia Plantarum, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 279–282, 2006.
- J. Veramendi and L. Navarro, “Influence of physical conditions of nutrient medium and sucrose on somatic embryogenesis of date palm,” Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 159–164, 1996.
- J.-L. Verdeil, V. Hocher, C. Huet et al., “Ultrastructural changes in coconut calli associated with the acquisition of embryogenic competence,” Annals of Botany, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 9–18, 2001.
- C. Jourdan, N. Michaux-Ferriere, and G. Perbal, “Root system architecture and gravitropism in the oil palm,” Annals of Botany, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 861–868, 2000.
- Y. Cohen, R. Korchinsky, and E. Tripler, “Flower abnormalities cause abnormal fruit setting in tissue culture-propagated date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.),” Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 1007–1013, 2004.
- E. Jaligot, A. Rival, T. Beulé, S. Dussert, and J. L. Verdeil, “Somaclonal variation in oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.): the DNA methylation hypothesis,” Plant Cell Reports, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 684–690, 2000.
- A. Rival, L. Bertrand, T. Beulé, M. C. Combes, P. Trouslot, and P. Lashermes, “Suitability of RAPD analysis for the detection of somaclonal variants in oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.),” Plant Breeding, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 73–76, 1998.