- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 852564, 5 pages
Attitudes Regarding the Use of Ventilator Support Given a Supposed Terminal Condition among Community-Dwelling Mexican American and Non-Hispanic White Older Adults: A Pilot Study
1Department of Family & Community Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
2Department of Psychology, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30302, USA
3College of Education, Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi, Corpus Christi, TX 78412, USA
Received 31 October 2011; Accepted 11 December 2011
Academic Editor: Charles Weissman
Copyright © 2012 M. Rosina Finley et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. B. Lloyd, P. J. Nietert, and G. A. Silvestri, “Intensive care decision making in the seriously ill and elderly,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 649–654, 2004.
- S. Sviri, Y. Garb, I. Stav et al., “Contradictions in end-of-life decisions for self and other, expressed by relatives of chronically ventilated patients,” Journal of Critical Care, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 293–301, 2009.
- E. P. McCarthy, M. J. Pencina, M. Kelly-Hayes et al., “Advance care planning and health care preferences of community-dwelling elders: the Framingham heart study,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 951–959, 2008.
- J. M. Garrett, R. P. Harris, J. K. Norburn, D. L. Patrick, and M. Danis, “Life-sustaining treatments during terminal illness: who wants what?” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 361–368, 1993.
- P. V. Caralis, B. Davis, K. Wright, and E. Marcial, “The influence of ethnicity and race on attitudes toward advance directives, life-prolonging treatments, and euthanasia,” The Journal of Clinical Ethics, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 155–165, 1993.
- B. J. Zinnbauer, K. I. Pargament, B. Cole et al., “Religion and spirituality: unfuzzying the fuzzy,” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 549–564, 1997.
- J. T. Norris, D. Gallagher, A. Wilson, and C. H. Winograd, “Assessment of depression in geriatric medical outpatients: the validity of two screening measures,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 989–995, 1987.
- J. S. Lyons, J. J. Strain, J. S. Hammer, A. D. Ackerman, and G. Fulop, “Reliability, validity, and temporal stability of the Geriatric Depression Scale in hospitalized elderly,” International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 203–209, 1989.
- G. G. Fillenbaum, “Screening the elderly. A brief instrumental activities of daily living measure,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 698–706, 1985.
- J. C. Hofmann, N. S. Wenger, R. B. Davis et al., “Patient preferences for communication with physicians about end-of-life decisions,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1997.
- J. B. Straton, N. Y. Wang, L. A. Meoni et al., “Physical functioning, depression, and preferences for treatment at the end of life: the Johns Hopkins precursors study,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 577–582, 2004.
- A. B. Mendelsohn, S. H. Belle, B. Fischhoff, S. R. Wisniewski, H. Degenholtz, and L. Chelluri, “How patients feel about prolonged mechanical ventilation 1 yr later,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1439–1445, 2002.
- M. A. Achille and J. R. Ogloff, “Attitudes toward and desire for assisted suicide among persons with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Omega, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–21, 2003.