- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 874053, 6 pages
Preparation and In Vitro Evaluation of Tacrolimus-Loaded Ethosomes
1Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100050, China
2Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100191, China
Received 28 October 2011; Accepted 12 January 2012
Academic Editor: Raul Moreno Gomez
Copyright © 2012 Guiling Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. W. Thomson, C. A. Bonham, and A. Zeevi, “Mode of action of tacrolimus (FK506): molecular and cellular mechanisms,” Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 584–591, 1995.
- P. A. Kelly, G. J. Burckart, and R. Venkataramanan, “Tacrolimus: a new immunosuppressive agent,” American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, vol. 52, no. 14, pp. 1521–1535, 1995.
- J. Wohlrab, “Calcineurin inhibitors for topical therapy in psoriasis,” Der Hautarzt, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 685–689, 2006.
- A. Rubins, R. Gutmane, N. Valdmane, P. Stevenson, C. Foster, and N. Undre, “Pharmacokinetics of 0.1% tacrolimus ointment after first and repeated application to adults with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 68–71, 2005.
- C. L. Carroll and A. B. Fleischer Jr., “Tacrolimus: focusing on atopic dermatitis,” Drugs of Today, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 431–439, 2006.
- A. B. Fleischer Jr., W. Abramovits, D. Breneman, and E. Jaracz, “Tacrolimus ointment is more effective than pimecrolimus cream in adult patients with moderate to very severe atopic dermatitis,” Journal of Dermatological Treatment, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 151–157, 2007.
- E. B. M. Kroft, A. Erceg, K. Maimets, W. Vissers, P. G. M. van der Valk, and P. C. M. van de Kerkhof, “Tacrolimus ointment for the treatment of severe facial plaque psoriasis,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 249–251, 2005.
- M. Lebwohl, A. Freeman, M. S. Chapman, S. Feldman, J. Hartle, and A. Henning, “Proven efficacy of tacrolimus for facial and intertriginous psoriasis,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 141, no. 9, p. 1154, 2005.
- J. A. Steele, C. Choi, and P. C. Kwong, “Topical tacrolimus in the treatment of inverse psoriasis in children,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 713–716, 2005.
- S. M. Cheer and G. L. Plosker, “Tacrolimus ointment: a review of its therapeutic potential as a topical therapy in atopic dermatitis,” American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 389–406, 2001.
- M. H. A. Rustin, “The safety of tacrolimus ointment for the treatment of atopic dermatitis: a review,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 157, no. 5, pp. 861–873, 2007.
- R. M. Kudla, “Topical ointment,” US Patent. 4279901, 1979.
- E. Touitou, N. Dayan, L. Bergelson, B. Godin, and M. Eliaz, “Ethosomes—novel vesicular carriers for enhanced delivery: characterization and skin penetration properties,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 403–418, 2000.
- E. Touitou, B. Godin, N. Dayan, C. Weiss, A. Piliponsky, and F. Levi-Schaffer, “Intracellular delivery mediated by an ethosomal carrier,” Biomaterials, vol. 22, no. 22, pp. 3053–3059, 2001.
- B. Godin and E. Touitou, “Mechanism of bacitracin permeation enhancement through the skin and cellular membranes from an ethosomal carrier,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 94, no. 2-3, pp. 365–379, 2004.
- X. Li, X. Li, Y. Zhou et al., “Development of patch and spray formulations for enhancing topical delivery of sinomenine hydrochloride,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 1790–1799, 2010.
- L. Kikwai, R. J. Babu, R. Prado et al., “In vitro and in vivo evaluation of topical formulations of Spantide II,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 6, no. 4, article 71, pp. E565–E572, 2005.
- J. du Plessis, C. Ramachandran, N. Weiner, and D. G. Müller, “The influence of particle size of liposomes on the deposition of drug into skin,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 277–282, 1994.
- D. D. Verma, S. Verma, G. Blume, and A. Fahr, “Particle size of liposomes influences dermal delivery of substances into skin,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 258, no. 1-2, pp. 141–151, 2003.
- L. Coderch, J. Fonollosa, M. De Pera, J. Estelrich, A. De La Maza, and J. L. Parra, “Influence of cholesterol on liposome fluidity by EPR: relationship with percutaneous absorption,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 85–95, 2000.
- M. Brisaert, M. Gabriëls, V. Matthijs, and J. Plaizier-Vercammen, “Liposomes with tretinoin: a physical and chemical evaluation,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 26, no. 5-6, pp. 909–917, 2001.
- E. Touitou, B. Godin, and C. Weiss, “Enhanced delivery of drugs into and across the skin by ethosomal carriers,” Drug Development Research, vol. 50, no. 3-4, pp. 406–415, 2000.
- D. Lasic, N. Weiner, M. Riaz, and F. Martin, “Liposomes,” in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms: Disperse Systems, pp. 43–86, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- J. M. López-Pinto, M. L. González-Rodríguez, and A. M. Rabasco, “Effect of cholesterol and ethanol on dermal delivery from DPPC liposomes,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 298, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2005.
- E. Touitou, “Composition for applying active substances to or through the skin,” US Patent.5716638, 1998.
- E. Touitou, “Compositions for applying active substances to or through the skin,” US Patent.5540934, 1996.
- B. Berner and P. Liu, “Alcohols,” in Percutaneous Penetration Enhancers, pp. 45–60, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1995.
- H. Komatsu and S. Okada, “Ethanol-enhanced permeation of phosphatidylcholine/phosphatidylethanolamine mixed liposomal membranes due to ethanol-induced lateral phase separation,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta—Biomembranes, vol. 1283, no. 1, pp. 73–79, 1996.
- R. A. Harris, R. Burnett, S. McQuilkin, A. Mcclard, and F. R. Simon, “Effects of ethanol on membrane order: fluorescence studies,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 492, pp. 125–135, 1987.
- G. Cevc, A. Schätzlein, and H. Richardsen, “Ultradeformable lipid vesicles can penetrate the skin and other semi-permeable barriers unfragmented. Evidence from double label CLSM experiments and direct size measurements,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta—Biomembranes, vol. 1564, no. 1, pp. 21–30, 2002.
- M. Kirjavainen, A. Urtti, R. Valjakka-Koskela, J. Kiesvaara, and J. Mönkkönen, “Liposome-skin interactions and their effects on the skin permeation of drugs,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 279–286, 1999.
- A. Blume, M. Jansen, M. Ghyczy, and J. Gareiss, “Interaction of phospholipid liposomes with lipid model mixtures for stratum corneum lipids,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 99, no. 2-3, pp. 219–228, 1993.