- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 901741, 19 pages
Exercise and Physical Activity in the Therapy of Substance Use Disorders
Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Charité Campus Mitte, Charitéplatz 1, 101117 Berlin, Germany
Received 31 October 2011; Accepted 8 December 2011
Academic Editor: Eckart Ruther
Copyright © 2012 Elisabeth Zschucke et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [35 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Wendy J. Lynch, Alexis B. Peterson, Victoria Sanchez, Jean Abel, and Mark A. Smith, “Exercise as a novel treatment for drug addiction: A neurobiological and stage-dependent hypothesis,” Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 2013.
- Panteleimon Ekkekakis, Elaine A. Hargreaves, and Gaynor Parfitt, “Invited Guest Editorial: Envisioning the next fifty years of research on the exercise-affect relationship,” Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 2013.
- Elisabeth Zschucke, Katharina Gaudlitz, and Andreas Ströhle, “Exercise and Physical Activity in Mental Disorders: Clinical and Experimental Evidence,” Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, vol. 46, no. Suppl1, pp. S12, 2013.
- Paul D. Loprinzi, Jerome F. Walker, Christy Kane, and Bradley J. Cardinal, “Physical Activity Moderates the Association Between Nicotine Dependence and Depression Among U.S. Smokers,” American Journal of Health Promotion, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 2014.
- Carlos Piza-Palma, Elizabeth T. Barfield, Jadeda A. Brown, James C. Hubka, Cade Lusk, Charles A. Schonhar, Sean C. Sweat, and Judith E. Grisel, “Oral Self-Administration of EtOH: Sex-Dependent Modulation by Running Wheel Access in C57BL/6J Mice,” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 2387–2395, 2014.
- Davy Vancampfort, Marc De Hert, Brendon Stubbs, Andrew Soundy, Amber De Herdt, Johan Detraux, and Michel Probst, “A systematic review of physical activity correlates in alcohol use disorders,” Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 2014.
- Jacob D. Brown, Caroline L. Green, Ian M. Arthur, Frank W. Booth, and Dennis K. Miller, “Cocaine-induced locomotor activity in rats selectively bred for low and high voluntary running behavior,” Psychopharmacology, 2014.
- Christopher J. Cutter, Richard S. Schottenfeld, Brent A. Moore, Samuel A. Ball, Mark Beitel, Jonathan D. Savant, Matthew A. Stults-Kolehmainen, Christopher Doucette, and Declan T. Barry, “A pilot trial of a videogame-based exercise program for methadone maintained patients,” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2014.
- Jeffrey P. Haibach, Gregory P. Beehler, Katherine M. Dollar, and Deborah S. Finnell, “Moving Toward Integrated Behavioral Intervention for Treating Multimorbidity Among Chronic Pain, Depression, and Substance-use Disorders in Primary Care,” Medical Care, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 322–327, 2014.
- Mats Hallgren, Karin Romberg, Ann-Sofie Bakshi, and Sven Andréasson, “Yoga as an adjunct treatment for alcohol dependence: a pilot study,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 2014.
- Esther S. Giesen, Hubertus Deimel, and Wilhelm Bloch, “Clinical exercise interventions in alcohol use disorders: a systematic review,” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2014.
- Margaret Haglund, Alfonso Ang, Larissa Mooney, Rachel Gonzales, Joy Chudzynski, Christopher B. Cooper, Brett A. Dolezal, Michael Gitlin, and Richard A. Rawson, “Predictors of depression outcomes among abstinent methamphetamine-dependent individuals exposed to an exercise intervention,” The American Journal on Addictions, 2014.
- K. Henkel, C.D. Reimers, G. Knapp, and F. Schneider, “Körperliches Training bei neurologischen und psychischen Erkrankungen,” Der Nervenarzt, 2014.
- Dongshi Wang, Yanqiu Wang, Yingying Wang, Rena Li, and Chenglin Zhou, “Impact of Physical Exercise on Substance Use Disorders: A Meta-Analysis,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 10, 2014.
- Yuehui Zhou, Min Zhao, Chenglin Zhou, and Rena Li, “Sex differences in drug addiction and response to exercise intervention: from human to animal studies,” Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology, 2015.
- David E. Conroy, Nilam Ram, Aaron L. Pincus, Donna L. Coffman, Amy E. Lorek, Amanda L. Rebar, and Michael J. Roche, “Daily Physical Activity and Alcohol Use Across the Adult Lifespan,” Health Psychology, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 653–660, 2015.
- Sarah E. Linke, Madison Noble, Samantha Hurst, David R. Strong, Laura Redwine, Sonya B. Norman, and Laurie A. Lindamer, “An Exercise-Based Program for Veterans with Substance Use Disorders: Formative Research,” Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, pp. 1–10, 2015.
- Michael. T. Bardo, and Wilson. M. Compton, “Does Physical Activity Protect Against Drug Abuse Vulnerability?,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2015.
- Margaret Haglund, Alfonso Ang, Larissa Mooney, Rachel Gonzales, Joy Chudzynski, Christopher B. Cooper, Brett A. Dolezal, Michael Gitlin, and Richard A. Rawson, “Predictors of Depression Outcomes Among Abstinent Methamphetamine-Dependent Individuals Exposed to an Exercise Intervention,” American Journal On Addictions, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 246–251, 2015.
- Richard A. Rawson, Joy Chudzynski, Rachel Gonzales, Larissa Mooney, Daniel Dickerson, Alfonso Ang, Brett Dolezal, and Christopher B. Cooper, “The impact of exercise on depression and anxiety symptoms among abstinent methamphetamine-dependent individuals in a residential treatment setting,” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2015.
- Christopher B. Cooper, Brett A. Dolezal, Michael Gitlin, Richard A. Rawson, Margaret Haglund, Alfonso Ang, Larissa Mooney, Rachel Gonzales, and Joy Chudzynski, “Predictors of depression outcomes among abstinent methamphetamine-dependent individuals exposed to an exercise intervention,” The American Journal on Addictions, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 246–251, 2015.
- Ashley E. Muller, and Thomas Clausen, “Group exercise to improve quality of life among substance use disorder patients,” Scandinavian Journal Of Public Health, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 146–152, 2015.
- Yvonne Forsell, Mats Hallgren, Maria Mattson, Orjan Ekblom, and Catharina Lavebratt, “FitForLife: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial,” Trials, vol. 16, no. 1, 2015.
- John A. Engh, Eivind Andersen, Tom L. Holmen, Egil W. Martinsen, Jon Mordal, Gunnar Morken, and Jens Egeland, “Effects of high-intensity aerobic exercise on psychotic symptoms and neurocognition in outpatients with schizophrenia: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial,” Trials, vol. 16, no. 1, 2015.
- Yannis Theodorakis, Athanasios Z. Jamurtas, Kalliopi Georgakouli, Eirini Manthoui, Ioannis G. Fatouros, Chariklia K. Deli, Demetrios A. Spandidos, Aristidis M. Tsatsakis, Demetrios Kouretas, and Yiannis Koutedakis, “Effects of acute exercise on liver function and blood redox status in heavy drinkers,” Experimental And Therapeutic Medicine, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 2015–2022, 2015.
- Mark Stoutenberg, Chad D. Rethorst, Olivia Lawson, and Jennifer P. Read, “Exercise Training - A Beneficial Intervention in the Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorders?,” Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2015.
- Jorge Gimenez-Meseguer, Juan Tortosa-Martinez, and Maria de los Remedios Fernandez-Valenciano, “Benefits of Exercise for the Quality of Life of Drug-Dependent Patients,” Journal Of Psychoactive Drugs, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 409–416, 2015.
- Sarah E. Linke, and Michael Ussher, “Exercise-based treatments for substance use disorders: evidence, theory, and practicality,” American Journal Of Drug And Alcohol Abuse, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 7–15, 2015.
- Danika Tremain, Megan Freund, Luke Wolfenden, Paula Wye, Jenny Bowman, Adrian Dunlop, Karen Gillham, Kate Bartlem, Kathleen McElwaine, Beth Gow, and John Wiggers, “Modifiable health risk behaviours and attitudes towards behaviour change of clients attending community-based substance use treatment services,” Drug and Alcohol Review, 2016.
- Angelique G. Brellenthin, and Kelli F. Koltyn, “Exercise as an adjunctive treatment for cannabis use disorder,” The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, pp. 1–9, 2016.
- Ashley E. Muller, Svetlana Skurtveit, and Thomas Clausen, “Validating the generic quality of life tool “QOL10” in a substance use disorder treatment cohort exposes a unique social construct,” BMC Medical Research Methodology, vol. 16, no. 1, 2016.
- Ashley E. Muller, Svetlana Skurtveit, and Thomas Clausen, “Many correlates of poor quality of life among substance users entering treatment are not addiction-specific,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 14, no. 1, 2016.
- John R. Cutcliffe, and Rodger Travale, “Unearthing the Theoretical Underpinnings of "Green Care" in Mental Health and Substance Misuse Care: Theoretical Underpinnings and Contemporary Clinic,” Issues In Mental Health Nursing, vol. 37, no. 3, 2016.
- Mark Beitel, Matthew Stults-Kolehmainen, Christopher J. Cutter, Richard S. Schottenfeld, Kathy Eggert, Lynn M. Madden, Robert D. Kerns, Christopher Liong, Joel Ginn, and Declan T. Barry, “Physical activity, psychiatric distress, and interest in exercise group participation among individuals seeking methadone maintenance treatment with and without chronic pain,” The American Journal on Addictions, 2016.
- Esther S. Giesen, Philipp Zimmer, and Wilhelm Bloch, “Effects of an Exercise Program on Physical Activity Level and Quality of Life in Patients with Severe Alcohol Dependence,” Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 63–78, 2016.