- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 942025, 6 pages
Effects of Ginseng and Echinacea on Cytokine mRNA Expression in Rats
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Selcuk, 42075 Selçuklu, Konya, Turkey
Received 15 February 2012; Accepted 5 March 2012
Academic Editor: Yehuda Shoenfeld
Copyright © 2012 Deniz Uluışık and Ercan Keskin. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. K. Yun, “Brief introduction of Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer.,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 16, pp. S3–S5, 2001.
- S. Sakamoto, B. Pongkitwitoon, S. Nakamura, K. Maenaka, H. Tanaka, and S. Morimoto, “Efficient silkworm expression of single-chain variable fragment antibody against ginsenoside Re using Bombyx mori nucleopolyhedrovirus bacmid DNA system and its application in enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for quality control of total ginsenosides,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 148, no. 3, pp. 335–340, 2010.
- A. Wilkie and C. Cordess, “Ginseng—a root just like a carrot?” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 594–595, 1994.
- D. Kiefer and T. Pantuso, “Panax ginseng,” American Family Physician, vol. 68, no. 8, pp. 1539–1542, 2003.
- T. K. Lee, R. M. Johnke, R. R. Allison, K. F. O'Brien, and L. J. Dobbs, “Radioprotective potential of ginseng,” Mutagenesis, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 237–243, 2005.
- S. A. Susin, H. K. Lorenzo, N. Zamzami et al., “Mitochondrial release of caspase-2 and -9 during the apoptotic process,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 189, no. 2, pp. 381–393, 1999.
- K. I. Block and M. N. Mead, “Immune system effects of echinacea, ginseng, and astragalus: a review,” Integrative Cancer Therapies, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 247–267, 2003.
- J. Z. Luo and L. Luo, “Ginseng on hyperglycemia: effects and mechanisms,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 6, pp. 423–427, 2009.
- R. Bauer, P. Remiger, and E. Alstat, “Alkamides and caffeic acid derivatives from the roots of Echinacea tennesseensis,” Planta Medica, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 533–534, 1990.
- I. Mistrikova and S. Vaverkova, “Morphology and anatomy of Echinacea purpurea, E. angustifolia, E. pallida and Parthenium integrifolium,” Biologia, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 2–5, 2007.
- S. Goldhaber-Fiebert and K. J. Kemper, “Echinacea (E. angustifolia, E. pallida, and E. Purpurea),” The Longwood Herbal Task Force, pp. 1-24, 1999, http://www.longwoodherbal.org/echinacea/echinacea.pdf.
- R. Atencia, F. J. Bustamante, A. Valdivieso et al., “Differential expression of viral PAMP receptors mRNA in peripheral blood of patients with chronic hepatitis C infection,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 7, article 136, 2007.
- C. J. Liou, W. C. Huang, and J. Tseng, “Short-term oral administration of ginseng extract induces type-1 cytokine production,” Immunopharmacology and Immunotoxicology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 227–240, 2006.
- Y. Wang, D. Peng, W. Huang, X. Zhou, J. Liu, and Y. Fang, “Mechanism of altered TNF-α expression by macrophage and the modulatory effect of Panax notoginseng saponins in scald mice,” Burns, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 846–852, 2006.
- M. W. Larsen, C. Moser, N. Høiby, Z. Song, and A. Kharazmi, “Ginseng modulates the immune response by induction of interleukin-12 production,” Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica et Immunologica, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 369–373, 2004.
- H. C. Lee, R. Vinodhkumar, J. W. Yoon, S. K. Park, C. W. Lee, and H. Y. Kim, “Enhanced inhibitory effect of ultra-fine granules of red ginseng on LPS-induced cytokine expression in the monocyte-derived macrophage THP-1 cells,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1379–1392, 2008.
- S. Mocellin, F. Marincola, C. R. Rossi, D. Nitti, and M. Lise, “The multifaceted relationship between IL-10 and adaptive immunity: putting together the pieces of a puzzle,” Cytokine and Growth Factor Reviews, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 61–76, 2004.
- J. Gertsch, R. Schoop, U. Kuenzle, and A. Suter, “Echinacea alkylamides modulate TNF-α gene expression via cannabinoid receptor CB2 and multiple signal transduction pathways,” FEBS Letters, vol. 577, no. 3, pp. 563–569, 2004.
- S. A. Hwang, A. Dasgupta, and J. K. Actor, “Cytokine production by non-adherent mouse splenocyte cultures to Echinacea extracts,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 343, no. 1-2, pp. 161–166, 2004.
- S. Raduner, A. Majewska, J. Z. Chen et al., “Alkylamides from Echinacea are a new class of cannabinomimetics: cannabinoid type 2 receptor-dependent and -independent immunomodulatory effects,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 281, no. 20, pp. 14192–14206, 2006.
- P. Guiotto, K. Woelkart, I. Grabnar et al., “Pharmacokinetics and immunomodulatory effects of phytotherapeutic lozenges (bonbons) with Echinacea purpurea extract,” Phytomedicine, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 547–554, 2008.
- Z. Zhai, D. Haney, L. Wu et al., “Alcohol extracts of Echinacea inhibit production of nitric oxide and tumor necrosis factor-alpha by macrophages in vitro,” Food and Agricultural Immunology, vol. 18, no. 3-4, pp. 221–236, 2007.
- R. K. Randolph, K. Gellenbeck, K. Stonebrook et al., “Regulation of human immune gene expression as influenced by a commercial blended Echinacea product: preliminary studies,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 228, no. 9, pp. 1051–1056, 2003.
- T. Kanzaki, N. Morisaki, R. Shiina, and Y. Saito, “Role of transforming growth factor-β pathway in the mechanism of wound healing by saponin from Ginseng Radix rubra,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 255–262, 1998.
- Y. Han, S. J. Son, M. Akhalaia et al., “Modulation of radiation-induced disturbances of antioxidant defense systems by ginsan,” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 529–536, 2005.
- C. M. Chang, A. Limanni, W. H. Baker et al., “Bone marrow and splenic granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor and transforming growth factor-β mRNA levels in irradiated mice,” Blood, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 2130–2136, 1995.
- M. Martin, J. L. Lefaix, and S. Delanian, “TGF-β1 and radiation fibrosis: a master switch and a specific therapeutic target?” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 277–290, 2000.
- H. Wang, J. K. Actor, J. Indrigo, M. Olsen, and A. Dasgupta, “Asian and Siberian ginseng as a potential modulator of immune function: an in vitro cytokine study using mouse macrophages,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 327, no. 1-2, pp. 123–128, 2003.
- E. Rivera, F. E. Pettersson, M. Inganäs, S. Paulie, and K. O. Grönvik, “The Rb1 fraction of ginseng elicits a balanced Th1 and Th2 immune response,” Vaccine, vol. 23, no. 46-47, pp. 5411–5419, 2005.
- J. Y. Song, S. K. Han, E. H. Son, S. N. Pyo, Y. S. Yun, and S. Y. Yi, “Induction of secretory and tumoricidal activities in peritoneal macrophages by ginsan,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 857–865, 2002.
- X. X. Huang, M. Yamashiki, K. Nakatani, T. Nobori, and A. Mase, “Semi-quantitative analysis of cytokine mRNA expression induced by the herbal medicine Sho-saiko-to (TJ-9) using a gel doc system,” Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 199–209, 2001.
- S. J. Kim, H. J. Jeong, B. J. Yi et al., “Transgenic Panax ginseng inhibits the production of TNF-α, IL-6, and IL-8 as well as COX-2 expression in human mast cells,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 329–339, 2007.
- J. A. Rininger, S. Kickner, P. Chigurupati, A. McLean, and Z. Franck, “Immunopharmacological activity of Echinacea preparations following simulated digestion on murine macrophages and human peripheral blood mononuclear cells,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 503–510, 2000.