- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 172154, 9 pages
Intracranial Cysts: An Imagery Diagnostic Challenge
Department of Neurology, Colentina Clinical Hospital, CDPC, School of Medicine, “Carol Davila” University of Medicine and Pharmacy, 19-21 Şos. Stefan cel Mare, 020125 Bucharest, Romania
Received 24 March 2013; Accepted 13 April 2013
Academic Editors: J. Benito-Leon and W. Hall
Copyright © 2013 Alexandra Oprişan and Bogdan O. Popescu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. R. Haaga, C. F. Lanzieri, and R. C. Gilkeson, “Intracranial neoplasms,” in CT and MRI Imaging of the Whole Body, pp. 124–206, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 4th edition, 2003.
- D. Fertikh, J. Krejza, A. Cunqueiro, S. Danish, R. Alokaili, and E. R. Melhem, “Discrimination of capsular stage brain abscesses from necrotic or cystic neoplasms using diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 76–81, 2007.
- T. Ebisu, C. Tanaka, M. Umeda et al., “Discrimination of brain abscess from necrotic or cystic tumors by diffusion-weighted echo planar imaging,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 1113–1116, 1996.
- P. H. Lai, J. T. Ho, W. L. Chen et al., “Brain abscess and necrotic brain tumor: discrimination with proton MR spectroscopy and diffusion-weighted imaging,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1369–1377, 2002.
- P. Shetty, A. Moiyadi, G. Pantvaidya, and S. Arya, “Cystic metastasis versus brain abscess: role of MR imaging in accurate diagnosis and implications on treatment,” Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 356–358, 2010.
- C. H. Chong-Han, S. C. Cortez, and G. A. Tung, “Diffusion-weighted MRI of cerebral toxoplasma abscess,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 181, no. 6, pp. 1711–1714, 2003.
- S. H. Park, K. H. Chang, I. C. Song, Y. J. Kim, S. H. Kim, and M. H. Han, “Diffusion-weighted MRI in cystic or necrotic intracranial lesions,” Neuroradiology, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 716–721, 2000.
- S. Holtås, B. Geijer, L. G. Strömblad, P. Maly-Sundgren, and I. M. Burtscher, “A ring-enhancing metastasis with central high signal on diffusion-weighted imaging and low apparent diffusion coefficients,” Neuroradiology, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 824–827, 2000.
- S. Grand, E. S. Lai, F. Esteve et al., “In vivo 1H MRS of brain abscesses versus necrotic brain tumors,” Neurology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 846–848, 1996.
- D. I. Graham and P. L. Lantos, “Parasitic and fungal diseases,” in Greenfield’s Neuropatology, pp. 107–150, Arnold, London ,UK, 7th edition, 2002.
- L. Opris, Imagistica Cerebrala Prin Rezonanta Magnetica. Toxoplasmoza Cerebrala, p. 311, Solness, Paris, Framce, 2004.
- A. A. Abdel Razek, A. Watcharakorn, and M. Castillo, “Parasitic diseases of the central nervous system,” Neuroimaging Clinics of North America, vol. 21, pp. 815–841, 2011.
- R. Naqi, M. Azeemuddin, and H. Ahsan, “Cerebral toxoplasmosis in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome,” Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 316–318, 2010.
- A. G. Osborn and M. T. Preece, “Intracranial cysts: radiologic-pathologic correlation and imaging approach,” Radiology, vol. 239, no. 3, pp. 650–664, 2006.
- E. T. Kimura-Hayama, J. A. Higuera, R. Corona-Cedillo et al., “Neurocysticercosis: radiologic-pathologic correlation,” Radiographics, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1705–1719, 2010.
- C. Troiani, C. C. B. Lopez, C. A. Scardovelli, and G. A. Nai, “Cystic brain metastases radiologicaly simulating neurocysticercosis—case report,” Sao Paulo Medical Journal, vol. 129, pp. 352–356, 2011.
- D. I. Graham and P. L. Lantos, “Tumors of the nervous system,” in Greenfield’s Neuropatology, pp. 964–970, Arnold, London, UK, 7th edition, 2002.
- A. H. Ropper and M. A. Samuels, “Intracranial neoplasms and paraneoplastic disorders,” in Adams and Victor’s Principles of Neurology, p. 644, Mc Graw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 9th edition, 2009.
- N. Adeeb, A. Deep, C. J. Griessenauer et al., “The intracranial arachnoid mater. A comprehensive review of its history, anatomy, imaging, and pathology,” Child's Nervous System, vol. 29, pp. 17–33, 2013.
- J. Bladowska, G. Bednarek-Tupikowska, A. Biel, and M. Sasiadek, “Colloid cyst of the pituitary gland: case report and literature review,” Polish Journal of Radiology, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 88–93, 2010.
- C. H. Park, S. J. Hyun, K. J. Kim, and H. J. Kim, “Spinal intramedullary ependymal cyst: a case report and review of the literature,” Journal of Korean Neurosurgical Society, vol. 52, pp. 67–70, 2012.
- N. C. Ho and H. Y. Wu, “Ependymal cyst with hemorrhage in the cerebellopontine angle,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 127–129, 2009.
- R. Prieto, I. Subhi-Issa, and J. M. Pascual, “Ependymal cyst of the midbrain,” Clinical Neuropathology. In press.
- T. Morishita, T. Watanabe, T. Ohta, M. Fukushima, and Y. Katayama, “Atypical epidermoid cyst with repetitive hemorrhages in the supracallosal region—case report,” Neurologia Medico-Chirurgica, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 492–494, 2009.
- C. Y. Chen, J. S. Wong, S. C. Hsieh, J. S. Chu, and W. P. Chan, “Intracranial epidermoid cyst with hemorrhage: MR imaging findings,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 427–429, 2006.
- R. F. M. Rato, L. B. Pappamikail, B. O. Ratilal, and C. A. V. Luiz, “Dermoid tumor of the lateral wall of the cavernous sinus,” Surgical Neurology International, vol. 3, article 10, 2012.
- Y. M. Wang, T. P. Chang, C. P. Lo, and M. C. Tu, “Spontaneous rupture of intracranial dermoid cyst with chemical meningitis,” The Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 44, pp. 275–276, 2013.
- H. Tsugu, T. Fukushima, S. Hayashi, M. Iwaasa, and T. Matsuda, “Squamous cell carcinoma arising in an intracranial dermoid cyst,” Neurologia Medico-Chirurgica, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 213–216, 2001.
- J. Y. Brown, A. P. Morokoff, P. J. Mitchell, and M. F. Gonzales, “Unusual imaging appearance of an intracranial dermoid cyst,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1970–1972, 2001.
- M. R. Khalatbari, H. Borghei-Razavi, Y. Moharamzad, and U. Schick, “Isolated primary craniopharyngioma in the cerebellopontine angle,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 19, pp. 1516–1519, 2012.
- J. Zhao, H. Wang, J. Yu, Y. Zhong, and P. Ge, “Cerebral falx mature teratoma with rare imaging in an adult,” International Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 9, pp. 269–273, 2012.
- M. T. Preece, A. G. Osborn, S. S. Chin, and J. G. Smirniotopoulos, “Intracranial neurenteric cysts: imaging and pathology spectrum,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1211–1216, 2006.
- N. Basheer, M. K. Kasliwal, A. Suri, M. C. Sharma, A. Arora, and B. S. Sharma, “Lateral extradural, supratentorial neurenteric cyst,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 639–641, 2010.
- S. D. Wait, L. S. J. Choi, and C. Teo, “Neurenteric cyst: an unusual cause of third nerve palsy,” Child's Nervous System, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 639–641, 2011.
- Y. Ogawa and T. Tominaga, “A partially ossified solid and cystic Rathke cleft cyst: case report,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 1324–1326, 2010.
- W. M. Byun, O. L. Kim, and D. S. Kim, “MR imaging findings of Rathke's cleft cysts: significance of intracystic nodules,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 485–488, 2000.
- M. J. Binning, O. N. Gottfried, A. G. Osborn, and W. T. Couldwell, “Rathke cleft cyst intracystic nodule: a characteristic magnetic resonance imaging finding,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 837–840, 2005.
- S. H. Choi, B. J. Kwon, D. G. Na, J. H. Kim, M. H. Han, and K. H. Chang, “Pituitary adenoma, craniopharyngioma, and Rathke cleft cyst involving both intrasellar and suprasellar regions: differentiation using MRI,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 453–462, 2007.