- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 209428, 6 pages
Mechanism of and Therapeutic Strategy for Atrial Fibrillation Associated with Diabetes Mellitus
Department of Cardiology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Jinan University, Guangzhou 0086-510630, China
Received 11 January 2013; Accepted 19 February 2013
Academic Editors: Y. Du and Y. Wang
Copyright © 2013 Yubi Lin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Watson, E. Shantsila, and G. Y. Lip, “Mechanisms of thrombogenesis in atrial fibrillation: virchow's triad revisited,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9658, pp. 155–166, 2009.
- C. Steger, A. Pratter, M. Martinek-Bregel et al., “Stroke patients with atrial fibrillation have a worse prognosis than patients without: data from the Austrian Stroke registry,” European Heart Journal, vol. 25, no. 19, pp. 1734–1740, 2004.
- M. R. Movahed, M. Hashemzadeh, and M. Mazen Jamal, “Diabetes mellitus is a strong, independent risk for atrial fibrillation and flutter in addition to other cardiovascular disease,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 315–318, 2005.
- T. A. Aksnes, R. E. Schmieder, S. E. Kjeldsen, S. Ghani, T. A. Hua, and S. Julius, “Impact of new-onset diabetes mellitus on development of atrial fibrillation and heart failure in high-risk hypertension (from the VALUE Trial),” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 101, no. 5, pp. 634–638, 2008.
- G. A. Nichols, K. Reinier, and S. S. Chugh, “Independent contribution of diabetes to increased prevalence and incidence of atrial fibrillation,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1851–1856, 2009.
- R. R. Huxley, K. B. Filion, S. Konety, and A. Alonso, “Meta-analysis of cohort and case-control studies of type 2 diabetes mellitus and risk of atrial fibrillation,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 56–62, 2011.
- O. E. Johansen, E. Brustad, S. Enger, and A. Tveit, “Prevalence of abnormal glucose metabolism in atrial fibrillation: a case control study in 75-year old subjects,” Cardiovascular Diabetology, vol. 7, article 28, 2008.
- C. J. Östgren, J. Merlo, L. Råstam, and U. Lindblad, “Atrial fibrillation and its association with type 2 diabetes and hypertension in a Swedish community,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 367–374, 2004.
- A. M. Chamberlain, S. K. Agarwal, M. Ambrose, A. R. Folsom, E. Z. Soliman, and A. Alonso, “Metabolic syndrome and incidence of atrial fibrillation among blacks and whites in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study,” American Heart Journal, vol. 159, no. 5, pp. 850–856, 2010.
- S. Dublin, N. L. Glazer, N. L. Smith et al., “Diabetes mellitus, glycemic control, and risk of atrial fibrillation,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 853–858, 2010.
- R. R. Huxley, A. Alonso, F. L. Lopez, et al., “Type 2 diabetes, glucose homeostasis and incident atrial fibrillation: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study,” Heart, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 133–138, 2012.
- K. Sugishita, E. Shiono, T. Sugiyama, and T. Ashida, “Diabetes influences the cardiac symptoms related to atrial fibrillation,” Circulation Journal, vol. 67, no. 10, pp. 835–838, 2003.
- X. Du, T. Ninomiya, B. De Galan et al., “Risks of cardiovascular events and effects of routine blood pressure lowering among patients with type 2 diabetes and atrial fibrillation: results of the ADVANCE study,” European Heart Journal, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1128–1135, 2009.
- H. Soran, N. Younis, P. Currie, J. Silas, I. R. Jones, and G. Gill, “Influence of diabetes on the maintenance of sinus rhythm after a successful direct current cardioversion in patients with atrial fibrillation,” Quarterly Journal of Medicine, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 181–187, 2008.
- M. Guazzi, S. Belletti, L. Lenatti, E. Bianco, and M. D. Guazzi, “Effects of cardioversion of atrial fibrillation on endothelial function in hypertension or diabetes,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 26–34, 2007.
- M. Guazzi, S. Belletti, E. Bianco, L. Lenatti, and M. D. Guazzi, “Endothelial dysfunction and exercise performance in lone atrial fibrillation or associated with hypertension or diabetes: different results with cardioversion,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 291, no. 2, pp. H921–H928, 2006.
- G. Y. H. Lip and G. I. Varughese, “Diabetes mellitus and atrial fibrillation: perspectives on epidemiological and pathophysiological links,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 319–321, 2005.
- R. Pop-Busui, “Cardiac autonomic neuropathy in diabetes: a clinical perspective,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 434–441, 2010.
- The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group, “The effect of intensive diabetes therapy on measures of autonomic nervous system function in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT),” Diabetologia, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 416–423, 1998.
- W. R. Kennedy, X. Navarro, and D. E. R. Sutherland, “Neuropathy profile of diabetic patients in a pancreas transplantation program,” Neurology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 773–780, 1995.
- D. Ziegler, K. Dannehl, H. Muhlen, M. Spuler, and F. A. Gries, “Prevalence of cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction assessed by spectral analysis, vector analysis, and standard tests of heart rate variation and blood pressure responses at various stages of diabetic neuropathy,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 806–814, 1992.
- C. Voulgari, M. Psallas, A. Kokkinos, V. Argiana, N. Katsilambros, and N. Tentolouris, “The association between cardiac autonomic neuropathy with metabolic and other factors in subjects with type 1 and type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 159–167, 2011.
- V. Urbančič-Rovan, B. Meglič, A. Stefanovska, A. Bernjak, K. Ažman-Juvan, and A. Kocijančič, “Incipient cardiovascular autonomic imbalance revealed by wavelet analysis of heart rate variability in type 2 diabetic patients,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 18–26, 2007.
- H. Otake, H. Suzuki, T. Honda, and Y. Maruyama, “Influences of autonomic nervous system on atrial arrhythmogenic substrates and the incidence of atrial fibrillation in diabetic heart,” International Heart Journal, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 627–641, 2009.
- S. Boudina and E. D. Abel, “Diabetic cardiomyopathy, causes and effects,” Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 31–39, 2010.
- T. Kato, T. Yamashita, A. Sekiguchi et al., “What are arrhythmogenic substrates in diabetic rat atria?” Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 890–894, 2006.
- T. F. Chao, K. Suenari, S. L. Chang et al., “Atrial substrate properties and outcome of catheter ablation in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation associated with diabetes mellitus or impaired fasting glucose,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 106, no. 11, pp. 1615–1620, 2010.
- T. Karabag, M. Aydin, S. M. Dogan et al., “Prolonged P wave dispersion in pre-diabetic patients,” Kardiologia Polska, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 566–571, 2011.
- E. J. Anderson, A. P. Kypson, E. Rodriguez, C. A. Anderson, E. J. Lehr, and P. D. Neufer, “Substrate-specific derangements in mitochondrial metabolism and redox balance in the atrium of the type 2 diabetic human heart,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 20, pp. 1891–1898, 2009.
- M. Mitašíková, H. Lin, T. Soukup, I. Imanaga, and N. Tribulová, “Diabetes and thyroid hormones affect connexin-43 and PKC-ε expression in rat heart atria,” Physiological Research, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 211–217, 2009.
- T. Kato, T. Yamashita, A. Sekiguchi et al., “AGEs-RAGE system mediates atrial structural remodeling in the diabetic rat,” Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 415–420, 2008.
- V. Rigalleau, L. Baillet, M. Hocini, and H. Gin, “Atrial fibrillation can cause major hyperglycemia,” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 239–240, 2002.
- A. J. Camm, P. Kirchhof, G. Y. Lip, et al., “Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: the Task Force for the Management of Atrial Fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC),” Europace, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 1360–1420, 2010.
- J. R. Ehrlich, S. H. Hohnloser, and S. Mattel, “Role of angiotensin system and effects of its inhibition in atrial fibrillation: clinical and experimental evidence,” European Heart Journal, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 512–518, 2006.
- R. Caballero, E. Delpón, C. Valenzuela, M. Longobardo, and J. Tamargo, “Losartan and its metabolite E3174 modify cardiac delayed rectifier K+ currents,” Circulation, vol. 101, no. 10, pp. 1199–1205, 2000.
- W. C. De Mello, “Intracellular angiotensin II regulates the inward calcium current in cardiac myocytes,” Hypertension, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 976–982, 1998.
- S. Fareh, A. Bénardeau, B. Thibault, and S. Nattel, “The T-type Ca2+ channel blocker mibefradil prevents the development of a substrate for atrial fibrillation by tachycardia-induced atrial remodeling in dogs,” Circulation, vol. 100, no. 21, pp. 2191–2197, 1999.
- T. Unger, “Neurohormonal modulation in cardiovascular disease,” American Heart Journal, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. S2–S8, 2000.
- R. Fogari, A. Zoppi, A. Mugellini et al., “Comparative evaluation of effect of valsartan/amlodipine and atenolol/amlodipine combinations on atrial fibrillation recurrence in hypertensive patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 217–222, 2008.
- T. Liu, P. Korantzopoulos, G. Li, and J. Li, “The potential role of thiazolidinediones in atrial fibrillation,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 129–130, 2008.
- T. F. Chao, H. B. Leu, C. C. Huang, et al., “Thiazolidinediones can prevent new onset atrial fibrillation in patients with non-insulin dependent diabetes,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 199–202, 2012.
- M. W. Anglade, J. Kluger, C. M. White, J. Aberle, and C. I. Coleman, “Thiazolidinedione use and post-operative atrial fibrillation: a US nested case-control study,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 2849–2855, 2007.
- M. Shimano, Y. Tsuji, Y. Inden et al., “Pioglitazone, a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma activator, attenuates atrial fibrosis and atrial fibrillation promotion in rabbits with congestive heart failure,” Heart Rhythm, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 451–459, 2008.
- O. Kume, N. Takahashi, O. Wakisaka et al., “Pioglitazone attenuates inflammatory atrial fibrosis and vulnerability to atrial fibrillation induced by pressure overload in rats,” Heart Rhythm, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 278–285, 2011.
- A. G. Vaiopoulos, K. Marinou, C. Christodoulides, et al., “The role of adiponectin in human vascular physiology,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 188–193, 2012.
- G. Li and T. Liu, “The therapeutic strategies of enhancing adiponectin and lowering leptin may be benefit to controlling atrial fibrillation,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 73, no. 1, p. 122, 2009.
- D. Xu, N. Murakoshi, M. Igarashi, et al., “PPAR-gamma activator pioglitazone prevents age-related atrial fibrillation susceptibility by improving antioxidant capacity and reducing apoptosis in a rat model,” Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 209–217, 2012.
- T. Liu and G. Li, “Thiazolidinediones as novel upstream therapy for atrial fibrillation in diabetic patients: a review of current evidence,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 215–216, 2012.
- R. B. Tang, J. Z. Dong, X. P. Liu et al., “Safety and efficacy of catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in patients with diabetes mellitus—single center experience,” Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2006.
- G. B. Forleo, M. Mantica, L. De Luca et al., “Catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in patients with diabetes mellitus type 2: results from a randomized study comparing pulmonary vein isolation versus antiarrhythmic drug therapy,” Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 22–28, 2009.
- J. Gu, X. Liu, X. Wang, et al., “Beneficial effect of pioglitazone on the outcome of catheter ablation in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Europace, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 1256–1261, 2011.