- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 282734, 5 pages
Chloroquine Inhibits Dengue Virus Type 2 Replication in Vero Cells but Not in C6/36 Cells
1Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto, University of São Paulo, 14049-900 Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil
2Program of Graduate Studies on Applied Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto, University of São Paulo, 14049-900 Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil
Received 30 November 2012; Accepted 23 December 2012
Academic Editors: V. H. Aquino and M. R. T. Nunes
Copyright © 2013 Kleber Juvenal Silva Farias et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. A. L. da Fonseca and S. N. S. Fonseca, “Dengue virus infections,” Current Opinion in Pediatrics, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 67–71, 2002.
- B. D. Lindenbach and C. M. Rice, “Molecular biology of flaviviruses,” Advances in Virus Research, vol. 59, pp. 23–61, 2003.
- C. de Duve, “Lysosomes revisited,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 137, no. 3, pp. 391–397, 1983.
- A. C. Gomes-Ruiz, R. T. Nascimento, S. O. de Paula, and B. A. L. da Fonseca, “SYBR green and TaqMan real-time PCR assays are equivalent for the diagnosis of dengue virus type 3 infections,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 760–763, 2006.
- H. S. H. Houng, R. C. Chen, D. W. Vaughn, and N. Kanesa-thasan, “Development of a fluorogenic RT-PCR system for quantitative identification of dengue virus serotypes 1–4 using conserved and serotype-specific 3' noncoding sequences,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 95, no. 1-2, pp. 19–32, 2001.
- E. Keyaerts, L. Vijgen, P. Maes, J. Neyts, and M. V. Ranst, “In vitro inhibition of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus by chloroquine,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 323, no. 1, pp. 264–268, 2004.
- M. J. Vincent, E. Bergeron, S. Benjannet et al., “Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread,” Virology Journal, vol. 2, article 69, 10 pages, 2005.
- L. di Trani, A. Savarino, L. Campitelli et al., “Different pH requirements are associated with divergent inhibitory effects of chloroquine on human and avian influenza A viruses,” Virology Journal, vol. 4, article 39, 8 pages, 2007.
- E. O. Eng, J. S. W. Chew, P. L. Jin, and R. C. S. Chua, “In vitro inhibition of human influenza A virus replication by chloroquine,” Virology Journal, vol. 3, article 39, 3 pages, 2006.
- W. K. Wang, D. Y. Chao, C. L. Kao et al., “High levels of plasma dengue viral load during defervescence in patients with dengue hemorrhagic fever: implications for pathogenesis,” Virology, vol. 305, no. 2, pp. 330–338, 2003.
- F. C. Kull, “The TNF receptor in TNF-mediated cytotoxicity,” Natural Immunity and Cell Growth Regulation, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 254–265, 1988.
- K. Sperber, T. H. Kalb, V. J. Stecher, R. Banerjee, and L. Mayer, “Inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 replication by hydroxychloroquine in T cells and monocytes,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 91–98, 1993.
- W. P. Tsai, P. L. Nara, H. F. Kung, and S. Oroszlan, “Inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus infectivity by chloroquine,” AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 481–489, 1990.
- J. M. Mackenzie and E. G. Westaway, “Assembly and maturation of the flavivirus Kunjin virus appear to occur in the rough endoplasmic reticulum and along the secretory pathway, respectively,” Journal of Virology, vol. 75, no. 22, pp. 10787–10799, 2001.
- D. J. Gubler, “Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 480–496, 1998.
- K. Coombs, E. Mann, J. Edwards, and D. T. Brown, “Effects of chloroquine and cytochalasin B on the infection of cells by Sindbis virus and vesicular stomatitis virus,” Journal of Virology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 1060–1065, 1981.
- R. Hernandez, T. Luo, and D. T. Brown, “Exposure to low pH is not required for penetration of mosquito cells by Sindbis virus,” Journal of Virology, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 2010–2013, 2001.